PDA

View Full Version : Reading recipes

neonymph
02-03-2009, 01:37 PM
I have been tying flies for a couple of years, but I have been limited to patterns which have step-by-step instructions, hopefully with illustrations. However, there are an unlimited number of patterns that are available with only the recipe. I know you follow the recipe by performing the steps in the order listed. But, I am looking for references that are specific to learning more in depth how to read and follow recipes; books, websites, etc. Any help would be helpful.

WT
02-03-2009, 01:49 PM
Most websites that I know of are either step-by-step or they just give you the recipes. And to be honest I do not know of anything that tells you how to become better at reading recipes other than through trial and error. However I might suggest you try a class. The attention you get from the instructors can be very helpful, and can open the doors for you.

Hairstacker
02-03-2009, 01:53 PM
Hi, welcome to the board!

Unfortunately, you will find that the order of the materials listed is not always consistent with respect to intent. Usually, and the generally accepted rule is, the materials are listed in the order that they are tied on to the hook; but quite often, you will also find receipes that list materials in the order that they are tied off, which is quite different than the order they are tied in.

I've never seen a book, website, etc., that gives advice on how to interpret recipes. All I can do advise you to tie many different types of flies. With experience, you will be able to glance at a picture of most fllies and make a very good, educated guess how to tie them without step-by-step instructions. Of course, with that said, you will still encounter flies that will require such instructions. I know this is probably all not what you wanted to hear but just the way it is as I see it.

jbird
02-03-2009, 02:15 PM
Its helpful to learn the basic biology of what you are tying. For example, if youre tying insects, it helps to know the tail, abdomen, thorax, wingcase, head, etc... A good many of recipes will list the material for each body part. Once you know that, you can start from the tail and work forward..tail, abdomen wing/wingcase, thorax, head. You can experiment with the patterns til you are happy. Dont get too caught up in making it look just like the picture. Just use your instincts and ask youself if it looks 'fishy'.
Rarely youll get a recipe that lists materials with no indication of where they go. This is when it pays to be able to ID materials by looking at it. If the recipe calls for peacock, goose biot, olive dubbing and partraige, you can look at the picture and ID which feather goes where.
Most of all, have fun with it. The sky is the limit between you and your vise.

Jay

neonymph
02-04-2009, 11:33 AM
Thanks for your responses. As a member of Granite Bay Flycasters I have taken a class in beginning fly tying and have attended several sessions of our Fly Tying Jams. I'll speak to the leader of the Jams about this subject and see if there is any interest in tying from recipes without instructions. Until then I'll just putter around and see what happens. It's always fun. I also have a copy of the Fly Tyers Benchside Reference and refer to it often. And, I'll purchase the Benchside Introduction to Fly Tying.

Thanks again.

Scott V
02-04-2009, 12:01 PM
Look for me at the GBF meeting next week and I will show you a book that I bought which is now my favorite fly tying book. It is called "The fly tying bible: 100 deadly trout and salmon flies. I will be the one talking about the Rancho Seco fishout.