PDA

View Full Version : Pyramid Reports?

Stu Booth
02-02-2009, 11:29 AM
Anyone fished there lately?
When has the fishing historically started to pick up? Late February-Early March?

Thanks, Stu

Chris Evison
02-02-2009, 07:47 PM
Still slow at Pyramid Lake. There are fish to be had but scattered. You might have better luck with tube or pontoon to get to deeper water. When water temps in 40's the fish seem to like deeper water 12'-20' or more.

The fishing generally begins to improve in early march to mid march. The best time to fish is mid march to mid may or later if water isn't to warm. I guide on the lake through the season. I prefer to spend most of my time on the lake during late march thru april when the fish are inshore looking for spawning streams.Personally I don't spend much time at Pyramid until mid march.

Hope this helps!

Darian
02-02-2009, 11:59 PM
I agree with Chris' assessment. Here's a couple of websites you can use for reports if you care to:

www.renoflyshop.com

www.rgj.com

The second site is the Reno Gazette Journal (newspaper).

The only caution I would add is the use of tubes or pontoons up there. Be sure to keep an eye out for quickly developing winds. They can be hazardous to your health.

Stu Booth
02-04-2009, 09:43 AM
Thanks for the info. Stu

jayclarkflyfishing
02-04-2009, 12:53 PM
Stu-
I fished yesterday for my second skunk this season.I had one on and a couple other bumps.All in all it was pretty slow.I saw 5 or so fish landed by others throughout the day.Things should start picking up anytime now with prime season right around the corner.
Water temps are in the low 40's.February can be a good month for big fish!

Jay

jayclarkflyfishing
02-06-2009, 01:34 PM
Fished Pyramid again yesterday for the first back to back skunk that I have ever had there.

Jay

Scott V
02-17-2009, 12:02 PM
I have heard on other boards that the bite is starting off slowly but there are fish to be had.

Darian
02-17-2009, 01:58 PM
I don't know about others but I stopped fishing during the depths of winter up there many years ago. Sure, I caught a few, larger fish but (to me) it wasn't worth freezing my tokus off (brrrrrrr!!!! :eek: ) while fishing, being completely sapped (energy wise), having to chain-up on the trip back (during frequent snow storms) or detouring down the Feather River Canyon making a 3 hour trip into a 6 hour trip. :rolleyes:

The aftermath wasn't much better. Sun and wind burned face/hands and chapped skin.... Now I only fish up there before mid-december and after the end of February.... :nod:

Ed Wahl
02-17-2009, 03:22 PM
I don't know about others but I stopped fishing during the depths of winter up there many years ago. Sure, I caught a few, larger fish but (to me) it wasn't worth freezing my tokus off (brrrrrrr!!!! :eek: ) while fishing, being completely sapped (energy wise), having to chain-up on the trip back (during frequent snow storms) or detouring down the Feather River Canyon making a 3 hour trip into a 6 hour trip. :rolleyes:

The aftermath wasn't much better. Sun and wind burned face/hands and chapped skin.... Now I only fish up there before mid-december and after the end of February.... :nod:

Darian, you're just talking me into it.:unibrow:

Add a 3 hr walk and I'm in.:)

I need to know some more about those modified ladders though, does anyone have some pix?

Ed

Darian
02-17-2009, 04:55 PM
Hi Ed,.... I guess you could hike in from Nixon or Wadsworth. I understand there's a bike trail under construction from Pyramid to Tahoe.... :) I plan on doing some of the bike trail this summer. :D

I don't have any pic's of 'em but some of the modified ladders are really platforms (4 legged), have bass boat seats and fish finders on 'em. :-s They're the equivalent of the shacks used for ice fishing in places like Michigan and Wisconsin.... ;) You might be able to buy one from one of the local shops (like Mark, Fore & Strike). If not, they probably know someone who makes them. :confused:

jayclarkflyfishing
02-17-2009, 06:29 PM
Pix of ladder chairs can be seen at www.crosbylodge.com.Fishing is starting to pick up.Saw a couple of LARGE fish landed today.

jayclarkflyfishing
02-26-2009, 08:16 AM
Fishing is definately improving at Pyramid.Not big number days yet.but a lot of big fish being caught.In my last three days out there I haven't had a fish smaller than 24" and landed a 28" fish.Also,midges are starting to work!I have some open dates available,so book now.The nets will be open until the 15th and then will be closed until May 16.

See you on the water!
Jay

lee s.
02-26-2009, 09:43 AM
Keep warming them up for us. We'll be up there last w/e in Mar. (I think)
.....lee s.