PDA

View Full Version : Yuba Report 01-31-09

Jet
02-01-2009, 01:05 AM
Joey and I got off to a late start and decided to hit the Yuba. We arrived around 2pm and found about 13-14 cars on the Marysville side. The ATV's tearing up the Grass Valley was not a welcome site. The water was clear but seemed a littler lower than it was 2 weeks ago.
We decided to head up stream and were able to cross pretty easily above bridge. Joey was fishing a Dry with a dropper and I was nymphing. Joey hooked up at 2:30 and landed his first Yuba Rainbow/Steelhead on the dropper which he tied himself. It was bigger than anything I have landed in the Yuba. I fished dries, nymphs and ended the day with streamers. I did not land any fish but lost a nice one on the streamer. It was a beautiful day to get out and fish but most reports from other anglers were pretty slow. A fish here and there but no great numbers.

Tight Lines,

Jet

Joey's First Yuba Rainbow?
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i219/jetax/Yuba004.jpg

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i219/jetax/Yuba003.jpg

mikel
02-01-2009, 01:17 AM
well congrats to Joey! That's a great looking fish! One of those once in a while will keep you coming back for more:D

Charlie Gonzales
02-01-2009, 08:20 AM
Wow! Good for him. Thats a great fish.

Mrs.Finsallaround
02-01-2009, 09:06 AM
Yay Joey! It was good to see you two out there yesterday...

Paul and I have been working on the house/yard for weeks and finally decided we'd hit the water yesterday too... We must've gotten there shortly after Jet/Joey. LOTS of cars. We walked upstream a little ways, and came to a good lookin' hole with some fish rising. Paul was showing me where to cast exactly, and on the first cast out, of course, a 17 in rainbow SLAMS the squalla on the end of the line. He caught my fish! DAMN! So, after draggin' 'im up on the beach and letting him go, he let me have a go at it, but to no avail. Got about 3 more bites in that spot, but missed them.... We worked that spot for about 30-40 minutes and then off to the next one....

The next was tough for me, and of course, no bites, but we saw a really cool sight. A really big steelie trying to get up over the riffle. I'd never seen them do that anywhere but salmon at the ladder at nimbus. It was AWESOME! Saw lots of redds and were careful not to tread on them. Farther up stream we saw a salmon making its way up stream... he was all beat up lookin' with the skin scraped of its nose.

All in all, it was a pretty good afternoon, even if I didn't actually catch anything. One of these days, maybe I'll finally get my first steelie up there.

Kurt P
02-01-2009, 10:16 AM
Jet,
Way to go getting Joey out there and what a great fish for him! And on a fly he tied himself. I've been fishing the Yuba for about a year now and have had rare success (but always fun). I'm seriously jealous about that fish. Amped up to get out there and try again.
Robin, I had a guide on the East Walker do that to me, "let me show you where to put the fly,'' and proceded to hook the biggest rising fish of the day. He gave me a nice tip at the end of the day, but I still wanted that fish.
Good fishing,
Kurt

Jet
02-01-2009, 10:32 AM
Hey Robin,
It was nice to see you guys on the water. The weather was awesome yesterday. I had a couple grabs on a streamer fishing the hole where we saw you fishing.
My guess is the fishing is going to keep improving. Tell Paul we're sorry we missed his tying class but Joey had to stay on top of his homework. I guess we will see you at the next GBF meeting.

Joe