PDA

View Full Version : Crossing the Yuba

esummers
01-30-2009, 10:55 PM
I've been up on the Yuba about 1/2 dozen times in the past 3 weeks. While I love fishing this great river, crossing it gives me the heebie jeebies. The other day I thought I was going to bite the dust. Luckily, I got myself out of a bad situation, but I've gotta admit that it scared the hell out me. Just something about crossing a tailwater that gives me a bad feeling in my gut. I'm not a big fan of the spot many people use that's slightly above the first bend above the bridge. I have a tough time seeing the bottom there and if you get off course it gets dicey in a hurry. Plus, I'm fishing solo.

I'm young, but not a great wader. I really don't see myself crossing that river once it's above 950+cfs. I'm much more agressive in a freestone stream, but the size of the holes and speed the Yuba isn't something I want to mess with again!

Anyone have any advice on becoming a better wader in general? I've been fishing a long time, but I'm from the midwest and the grade and speed of most trout rivers are nothing compared to the west.

David Lee
01-31-2009, 01:34 AM
While I love fishing this great river, crossing it gives me the heebie jeebies ........... Anyone have any advice on becoming a better wader in general?

E. -

Pay attention to your feelings . The vast majority of the time , if that little bell in your head is going off ..... you're in a BAD place . Follow your gut instinct .

I used to wade as hard , or harder than anyone - I managed to get out of two spots on the Pit that should have killed me - I don't take those kind of chances anymore .

What fish is worth your life ??

While it may look a bit stupid , a life vest ( Not an inflatible , but the same kind you would wear in a boat on the Pacific) is cheap insurance . Much better to look silly than to have everyone at your wake . I used to have a pair of high-top Danners - felted w/ carbide spikes (I bitched for years about spending $160.00 on them) - They saved my arse several times . Always use a staff .

Just an opinion ......

David

Tracy Chimenti
01-31-2009, 10:09 AM
You could also cross rivers with someone else. Walking side-by-side, grasp each other's shoulder and you will find you are much more stable and if one guy begins to slip, the other can catch him. Really amazing, but the obvious thing here is that you are not fishing (or crossing) alone.

But I think Dave says it best-- no fish is worth drowning for. Think "safey first, last, and always," and listen to your instincts.

mikel
01-31-2009, 10:45 AM
There are a lot of us who are lucky to still be around and wading...I know that the bottoms seem slimier now and the current seems stronger.

I just don't cross or wade hard alone at all any more. I'm going away from felt in my next boots to either studs or the new materials coming out because I'm tired of whacking my knees and being afraid. I HATE dealing with a staff, but am starting to take one with me more often...

Bottom line...I listen hard to my instincts and I just don't go deeper than my waist....

I never expected to make it to 60, but now that I'm here I'd like to make it a little further...

Hogan Brown
01-31-2009, 11:04 AM
Growing up with my back yard as the river I remember every summer hearing the Yuba or Nevada county sherifs helicopter and search and rescue looking for people. It happened a lot when kyakers would run the narrows. I definately remember doing the moon walk across the river a few times thinking I was moving down faster than I was moving across the river. One of my best friends even found a dead body pined under a rock one year when we were swimming in the river. Crazy.