PDA

View Full Version : Jay Fair's Short Shuck ?

David Lee
01-26-2009, 04:57 PM
..... I can't seem to find this anymore in Firey Rust .

Does anyone know if it is still available anywhere ?

Thanks !

David

Scott V
01-26-2009, 06:12 PM
I have a pack of large if you want it.

Steve Potter
01-26-2009, 06:36 PM
If Bill doesn't have it, Ron Lewis @ Sierra Stream and Mountain will @1-800-343-1333. He's up in Chico. Hope this helps. Its makes the best wiggle tail wets around. my 2 cents

JD
01-26-2009, 06:37 PM
It does look like the names of the colors may be different as a result of the changeover:

http://www.eagleflyfishing.com/JF-Body%20Materials.htm

I'd give the folks at Tie Fast a call to see if they've just renamed it to "rust." I've found them to be a very helpful and informative bunch of folks. Undoubtedly the shop can order some if it will fit the bill.

Hairstacker
01-26-2009, 07:18 PM
David, sorry, I don't know the answer but I hope for your sake it's just a name change, as JD suggested. If so, as I'm sure you already know, it shouldn't be hard for Bill's shop to order some if they're out of the particular color. If for some reason you can't get it ordered, let me know and I'll see if I can work it on this end.

By the way, the "sculpin" I'm tying for the swap (same fly we used on the creek last year but one hook size bigger :D) uses Glimmer Green Olive and I've taken to stocking up on piles of the stuff in case it's ever discontinued. Great stuff, no doubt.

aaron
01-26-2009, 08:48 PM
David I'll check with ron for you tomorrow to see if it is still around.

Jay Murakoshi
01-26-2009, 09:31 PM
David,

Let me go through my magical boxes and see if I have any skeins of firey Rust short shuck.
Ya never know what you find in the archive box

Jay

Jay Murakoshi
01-26-2009, 09:38 PM
How much difference is the Firey Rust to Fiery Brown.

Jay

David Lee
01-26-2009, 10:29 PM
Scott -

Thanks !! Very kind of you . I use it for the 8 Wt. Craw , let me see if I can find some before I deprive you ....

Steve P. , Aaron , JD -

Thanks !! I fear it might be discontinued though ...

Mike -

Your Creek Sculpin is a MUST HAVE - I'm sure the big one will fish as well as the original !

Jay -

Thanks for checking . The Firey Rust is a real deep Red , the Brown will work OK though ...

The Firey Rust is what I use for the body of the 6 and 8 wt. Craw - I sure hope there is a subsitute out there somewhere !

Thanks again , fellas !!

David

Ed Wahl
01-26-2009, 11:26 PM
Dang it! Sorry David, I would have sworn I had a couple of years supply laid in. Can't believe I've lost that many flies.

It seems my policy of "damn the fly, put it where it's got to be" is pretty hard on on the ole fly stockpile.

Now I see that I've got to stock up on short shuck also.

For you guys who havent' seen it, David's 8wt craw is a definite keeper. Hands down my favorite subsurface Smallmouth fly(and I dearly love Smallmouth fishing). It's accounted for a godawful lot of Largemouths too.

More suggestive than imitative, although imitate it does, it has the proper attitude,(attitude?), and lots of action rigtht where it's needed. And it's simple enough to tie that you can,and better, throw it right into the gnarly snags and undercuts where the good fish hang out.

It's one of those"if you aren't losing a bunch you aren't fishing it right" kind of flies.

The first time I saw it, dry, I could tell it was good. When I saw it in the water I just called it brilliant.

Actually, children cover your eyes, my exact words were "holy shit, look at that thing".

David, you'd be doing everyone a favor if you could post tying instructions and pics of this fly. I'm pretty confident that as word gets out this pattern will become a classic.

If you find a source for that Short Shuck let me know, we'll buy 'em out.

Ed

Jay Murakoshi
01-26-2009, 11:28 PM
David,

I know a while back I posted some short shuck material in the classifieds. I just checked the photo and it looks like I had a few skeins of it. Now I don't know if I sold all of them or not. I will go through all my boxes and draws tomorrow. But I have at least 15 packs of the Fiery Brown short shuck

Jay

Lincoln Gray
01-27-2009, 09:11 AM
David -

When Ron Lewis purchased the company from Jay a couple of years ago, we dropped the fiery from all colors. It was a decision that actually Jay suggested to do. So all the colors are still the same.

Thanks -

Lincoln Gray
Sierra Stream & Mountain
530-345-4261

flymaster
01-27-2009, 10:16 AM
David, I have some, pm sent. Phil.

David Lee
01-28-2009, 10:56 AM
David -

When Ron Lewis purchased the company from Jay a couple of years ago, we dropped the fiery from all colors. It was a decision that actually Jay suggested to do. So all the colors are still the same.

Thanks -

Lincoln Gray
Sierra Stream & Mountain
530-345-4261

Hi Lincoln !

I have here , sitting in front of me ..... a pack of Firey Rust Long , and the current 'Rust' Short Shuck . The Firey is a rich , dark Reddish-Brown , translucent . The short 'Rust' is a MUCH lighter , metallic Orange/Brown . I'll go out and comb the local shops again and see if I can find anything close to the old stuff ....

Jay -

I bought all the skeins from you last year ! They are the 'Baby-Shuck' - too small for the Craw (it'll work good on small stuff , however ...) .

Phil -

PM inbound .

Thanks again guys !!

David

Lincoln Gray
01-28-2009, 04:47 PM
David -

The brighter one is dyed on a Glimmer Shuck, the other color your looking for is dyed on the Flat Shuck. I have it in stock in the short. Give me a call at the shop and I will take care of you.

Thanks -

Lincoln Gray
530-345-4261

Hairstacker
01-28-2009, 07:54 PM
The brighter one is dyed on a Glimmer Shuck, the other color your looking for is dyed on the Flat Shuck. I have it in stock in the short.

Well thank goodness for that, as I don't know of any other manufacturer/brand that has that particular color. Same goes for the "fiery rust" marabou, which I consider essential for a complete box of leeches for creek fishin'. :D Burnt orange just doesn't do it for me either.

Hopefully, there are no plans to ever discontinue that rust color or the Glimmer Green Olive Short Shuck (despite the piles I'm building). :D

Terry Thomas
01-29-2009, 10:04 AM
Quite a few years back when we fished with Jay each Fall at Eagle we asked him about the colors that he had in his products. At the time we were fishing a lot of the "olive" colors and some had different shades of olive or rust. Some of the different colors came about because of the core material used. Some of the cores came to Jay light and some came to him dark. He wasn't happy about the inconsistancy that he was being sent, but that is what he had to work with. I'm sure that anyone who has a stash of Jay's materials from years gone by may see some difference in some of the bags that were purchased. Now that Ron and Lincoln have the product line, the consistancy of the colors seems to be good...at least from all of the materials that I have put on the rack the past two years after the transfer.
T.