PDA

View Full Version : Lower Sac Report 1/24 & 1/25

RJSFLYTRIP
01-26-2009, 11:40 AM
I had a couple of great days on the Lower Sac this weekend. On Saturday I was lucky enough to get out there with my dad and Bonnie (wife) for a half day. We floated from Posse Grounds down to Bonnyview. We did this float in about 4 hours time and the fishing was consistent all the way down the float. I didn't work to hard trying to backrow stuff. We managed to land a dozen fish on eggs and small mayfly nymphs. The quality of the fish was awesome. Almost all of the fish we landed were between 16-19''. It is a special thing when you can row for your wife and dad. I still love watching how excited Bonnie gets when she hooks a fish. It is awesome fishing with her because she knows what she is doing and most of the time out fishes the other person in the boat. As she did again with my dad. It must be that womans touch. I guess I taght her enough of the right fly fishing technique.

Sunday I guided the Lower Sac and we floated from Posse Grounds down to Sac RV. The fishing was really good. We hooked 40+ rainbows on this drift. This has been one of my better winter days out on the Sac so far this year. We landed four fish that went 19'' and we got several others that were all 18''. I think that we might have hooked a steelhead above Sac RV because whatever we hooked took about 25 yards of backing off my clients reel in about 10 seconds. We never saw the fish because he ended up wrapping us around something on the bottom of the river. Bummer. Steelhead on that drift are pretty rare! Another Lower Sac steelhead that gets the better of us!

For anyone interested I will take $100 off if you want to book a trip for the Lower Sac or the Yuba on January 27, 28, 29, or February 1. Both of these fisheries are doing well so take advantage of this last minute discount.

Tight Lines

easymends
01-26-2009, 12:15 PM
Thanks for the report. I am floating Saturday, looking forward to it. Are they still eating eggs?

RJSFLYTRIP
01-26-2009, 12:22 PM
It seems like if you can get out there under cloudy conditions then they will eat eggs for you. If it is sunny I would try them but dont count on that being your money fly. However, you should be able to pick up a few on eggs even under sunny conditions if you can find a few salmon milling around.

Dustin Revel
01-26-2009, 04:37 PM
$100 WOW thats cheap to bad i already no these rivers like the back of my hand... and i'm a broke college student, or i'd have to take advantage of that.

Scott V
01-26-2009, 06:14 PM
$100 WOW thats cheap to bad i already no these rivers like the back of my hand... and i'm a broke college student, or i'd have to take advantage of that.

I believe it is $100 off, which is still a good deal. If it was $100 I would be on the water one of those days.

Dustin Revel
01-26-2009, 06:33 PM
oh yeah you're right i misread that last part... maybe i was paying a little to much attention in class