PDA

View Full Version : Drift Boat Help

fishinjohnny
01-22-2009, 09:56 PM
I've been in the market for a drift boat for a while and am finally coming down to the wire. The guys at RO got me looking at their skiffs and I was wondering if anybody has had any experience with them. I was told they put a bigger footprint on the water making them more stable but does this make it harder to row? Also, these boats are not made for bigger water but are they adequate for our local rivers. I float the lower sac often and wondered if one would work for that type of water. I am starting to lean towards one because their a bit shorter and lighter, this would help me access the smaller rivers easier. Thanks in Advance, John Roe.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
01-23-2009, 06:41 AM
What brand is 'RO'?

fishinjohnny
01-23-2009, 09:14 PM
I'm surprised you haven't heard of them. They might not be that popular in this area.
Check 'em out. Their good looking boats. http://www.rodriftboats.com/

Fats
01-24-2009, 07:44 PM
Looking at those, my preference would be the drift boat... just more versatle.

No experience with them so... it is a snap shot opinion.

Randy B
01-25-2009, 08:27 PM
I fished out of a RO drift boat on the Madison with Robert Eddins, who's family owns RO drift boats and now he helps manage the company, about 6 or 7 years ago. Robert was one of the best guides I have ever fished with, and the drift boat was nice.

I also looked at skiffs when I was in the boat market, but ultimately bought a drift boat (made by a different manufacturer) instead...drift boats seem a little more versatile.

mircetich
01-26-2009, 10:28 AM
I am on my second RO and truly love them. Their attention to detail is fantastic, their customer service is unparalleled, and they row like a dream. They will treat you right, guaranteed. May I suggest their DeVille model as opposed to the skiff though. In the waters that are in our area, ie bigger (North Coast), the taller Bow will be more forgiving in the bigger water and still beat the wind.
I use my current DeVille on the North COast and several trips to Montana and Utah per year and it has been unflappable.
Good luck
Jon

fishinjohnny
01-26-2009, 08:54 PM
Thanks for all the info guys. I'm definately going to get the drift boat now. I would hate to miss out on water because I bought the wrong boat. Have any of you ever rowed a Freestone Boat, made in Montana. I've got it down to a Clack, RO, or Freestone. The freestones look bad ass and there carbon fiber.

Hogan Brown
01-27-2009, 07:09 AM
with regards to those three brands. I have guided out of a Clack and a RO and found that the Clack is a bit more roomy for clients and gear but the RO will track better based on the draft of the boat (meaning more boat in the water) flip side of that is it doesn't change directions as fast since you have to push more boat through the water. A big one for me is it take more energy to go from back rowing to pushing down a run. Either way they are both good boats and remember with glass boats you can always do a ton of your own repairs. Also if you want your boat to look brand new again most bath tub remodelers will re jell coat the whole boat for like $250 or somthing. Don't even think about the skiff if you are looking at rowing central valley rivers. That is a very specific boat for very specific types of water which our central valley rivers don't fall into.

Not sure about a carbon fiber boat.

Darrin.Deel
02-05-2009, 05:25 PM
Ive fished out of Willies, Alumawelds, and Clacks and I have to say my favorite by far was Hogans Clacka. It was way more roomy with the side storage than an aluminum boat. The only RO boats I've seen on the water are the Survey boats on the feather. Those freestone boats are pretty sweet but with the extra money your spending on one go buy a clackacraft and like a 16' jet boat

fishinjohnny
02-05-2009, 11:32 PM
Thanks for the help. I went ahead and put a deposit on one of the Freestone Boats. He had a used one and he made me a deal I couldn't pass up.
http://i363.photobucket.com/albums/oo77/fishinjohnny/DSC_00751-1.jpg

Scott V
02-06-2009, 08:21 AM
Nice looking ride, let me know if you need help breaking it in.:D