PDA

View Full Version : Wild game feast ?

Tony Buzolich
01-21-2009, 11:09 AM
Though this is actually an upcoming event I thought I'd put it here because I'm NOT promoting this in any way. What I wanted to do is create some discussion about what is termed "wild" and how did it come to be offered for sale.

On a previous post under "striped bass sushi" I made the comment about the possibility that some restaurants MAY be selling local game fish on their menu. I had no intention of attacking any reputable restaurant but simply made the statement that we might all make about where do these places get there fish.

Well, here's another thing that just came up in today's Appeal/Democrat from Yuba City. The advertisment says that it's the church's 18th Annual Wild Game Feed banquet. It mentions all kinds of game being offered from Deer and Buffalo to Moose and Bear and Squirrel. ??????? Now, if that doesn't get you thinking ?????

I'm familiar with farm raised deer and buffalo being available for the market but when was the last time you saw farm raised "Bear" or "squirrel" or "Wild Turkey"?

Obviously I don't have all of the information on this, and maybe because it's a church event, it can get past all of the scrutiny of the Dept. of Fish & Game.

Just thought I'd throw it out there so we can all voice our opinions,
TONY
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b320/buzolich/wildgamefeed.jpg

FISHEYE
01-21-2009, 11:43 AM
I don't know how it works in the Independant Republic of California, but it the great State of Alaska, people can donate wild game for these type of events as long as it is free. Its a great way to clean out the freezer.

Years ago, a group of use used to have a wild game feed and we had some pretty exotic meat. The best year we had moose, back bear, wild goat, dall sheep, deer, caribou, sea lion, seal, salmon, king crab, and shrimp, followed by lots of wild berry pies, all washed down with gallons of store bought beer.

David Lee
01-21-2009, 11:54 AM
Seal and Sea Lion ??

Hmmmmmm ..........

First person that figures-out a way to sell them to the Japanese gets a box of flies from me .

(And - first person that accuses me of being racisist gets a boot in the arse .)

It'd be nice to see a legal season on them . The sandspit at the mouth of the Russian usually has 150-300 of those buggers passed-out on it , I wonder how many Salmon/Steelhead make it thru that crowd ?

I HAVE to ask ...... what do they taste like ?

David

P.S. - Sorry for the hijack Tony , I'm pretty sure one can give-away all the Game Animals they harvest . Can't sell 'em , though .

FISHEYE
01-21-2009, 12:59 PM
Only Alaska Natives are allowed to hunt marine mammals but they gave us some. How does it taste? Not good in my opinion, but then again I was raised on beef, deer, chicken and fish. I guess its all a matter of perspective and what you are used to. Both are very strong tasting. The sea lion was tough as leather shoes, and the seal turned black during cooking due to all the hemoglobin in the meat. The seal also smelled really bad. I have also tried sea lion liver and I thought I was going to die. If you guys get to harvest some of those down in CA, please keep my share.

Hairstacker
01-21-2009, 01:30 PM
If you guys get to harvest some of those down in CA, please keep my share.

Will do. :lol: