PDA

View Full Version : Victoria or Whistler B.C.?

arbolado
01-20-2009, 06:24 PM
I will be in either Victoria or Whistler in mid-july this summer. I have seen a few shops and guides on the internet, but is there any out there that you the members of this fine message board could reccomend? Also given a choice would you rather go to Victoria or Whistler and why?

Thanks.

shawn kempkes
02-05-2009, 11:36 PM
This is going to be a pink year. The squamish should have pinks in july. There is decent fishing near victoria on the cowichan. The fly shops up there carry polar bear and seal fur.
just make sure every thing goes in your jockey shorts. Lol

JayDubP
02-26-2009, 07:44 PM
I'd go for Vancouver Island, much more to do and see than Whistler. Especially if wife or family is going with. There is a great post about Van Isl on this message board.

I'd probably only spend 1-2 days in Victoria and then drive up island to Parkville/Qualicum Beach area or maybe spend some time on Gabriola, Denman or Quadra Islands (if you want to chill out, maybe kayak or hike). Lots of great B & B's stay at. One cool thing for entire family to do is to float/snorkel down the Campbell River among the big salmon. Truly incredible!

July in Whistler has basically only trout fishing unless you go down toward Squamish.

Vancouver Island has great trout fishing and diff types of salmon or cutthroat in the rivers or even in the surf in July.

Plus Vancouver Island is a lot cheaper than Whistler area.

Here is good link to fly fishing on Vancouver Island.

http://flyfisherman.com/westerncanada/ifvacouverisland/index.html

PS: if you want a reasonable & good hotel in Vancouver city, try the Syliva Court on English Bay, its a favorite of Canadians and is booked way in advance. Great location, walking distance to everything, its like staying in an apt building, not a 4-5 star hotel. get a top floor bayside room overlooking English Bay. Call the hotel directly to get the best rate. http://www.sylviahotel.com