PDA

View Full Version : Going to visit the area.

Thomas Vince
01-18-2009, 10:11 AM
Hello,

I live in Denmark/Europe, and are looking forward to visit the US again.
I'm gonna drive from SF to Reno, in the begginig of February, and then spend a week or so with my flyrod.

Allready got a few places to go, but i have decided to pay a visit to Kiene's(lokking forward to see a nice fly-shop, were the prices is allmost half the price, as here in Denmark:)).

Just looked at the recent "Yuba reports". Realy nice!!
Hope to get some information about this at Kiene's?8-[

One piece of advice i would like though... I'm kind of restricted when it comes to the amount of luggage. So what shall i bring, concerning rods?

Gonna pick two of my rods:
- TFO pro 8ft #2
- Scierra Pico 7'8" #3
- T&A travel 7'6" #5 7piece
- Sage Z-axis 590-4
- Sage TCX 691-4
- Sage XI2 790-4
- Scott X2s 9' #8
- TFO pro 9' #8 6piece

Dont know what to expect from the rivers.

Hope you can help me:)

Thomas

Kurt P
01-18-2009, 01:41 PM
Thomas,
I think a 5 weight rod is just about right for the valley rivers (unless you are specifically going after steelhead, then a 6-8 weight), and a 3 weight for the tributaries up in the Sierra.
Good luck and think about setting up a guided trip or two early during your visit to bypass the whole learning curve on unknown waters--always worth the money. Kiene's shop would be a great resource for guides.
Kurt

RJSFLYTRIP
01-18-2009, 01:57 PM
If you had to only bring a couple rods then bring the 5 and the 6. This is the best tandem and all I use out here 90% of the year. But if you can only bring one then the 6 is the rod of choice for most of the Sacramento Valley rivers. This is enough rod for nymphing, throwing dries, and swinging streamers. Dont bring the small rods because you probably wont use them on the big water that we tend to fish in California.

Bob Laskodi
01-18-2009, 09:07 PM
Since you are coming in February, the general trout season will be closed and that means you will only be fishing larger waters. So leave the "dinky" rods at home since no small waters will be open. February is prime time for steelhead and the Central Valley trout/steelhead waters (like the Yuba, Lower Sac, and American). I'd bring a nine foot 5 Wt & 7 Wt if I could only carry two rods.

wjorg
01-18-2009, 09:42 PM
How much time do you have to fish? Depending on how quickly you have to get to Reno, Id say bring 6 and 8 or 7 and 8....if we get the rain we are missing you might want to detour a bit, if we dont get the rain....there are still plenty of nice places to go for bigger fish...

Thomas Vince
01-19-2009, 08:11 AM
Hello all,

Thanks everyone, for the response on this post!

I allso got some very helpfull PM's. Offers to come fishing in the north. Guiding in area nearby. Tips and tricks etc. Thanks for helping!:)

Great to meet so open minded and helpfull people here!

Conserning the rods. If i know myself good enough. I probably bring three of them(5,6 and 7):D

Again, Thank you for helping!

Thomas

Mike O
01-22-2009, 02:59 PM
It's not all closed. The truckee will be open as will the south fork american. They will be REALLY cold (iced guides, etc) but they and their tributaries will be open. check around for links to fishing small stoneflies and midges on those rivers.

wjorg
01-22-2009, 10:16 PM
I say 6, 7, and 8....forget the 5..........

dickwhite
01-24-2009, 09:32 PM
PYramid Lake is just North East of Reno. It's the home of some very large cut throat. It's best fished with a 7wt+ .

Tight lines

Dick White
Tahoma Ca
(West Shore of Lake Tahoe)

PS I also run a small lodge on the West Shore so if you're looking for a place to stay drop me an email.

pvsprme
01-25-2009, 07:33 AM
Thomas,
I'd strongly suggest the Sacramento River in the Redding area. A tailwater fishery, consistent conditions. In terms of trout/mile it compares with the best streams in Montana. Big river, big trout, good time of year. The epicenter of California's best fishing. Several good guides, Kienes can help you. Could even get a steelhead. It's only 2-1/2 to 3 hrs from Sacramento. Your rod choices are perfect. The attached link will give you an idea of what's available in that area. Check the Stream Report page as well;
http://www.adventuresinflyfishing.com/guideservice.htm
Have a great trip!