PDA

View Full Version : ISE Cal Expo Today

Tony Buzolich
01-16-2009, 08:59 PM
I've missed the Cal Expo ISE for the last couple of years in favor of driving down to the San Mateo show. Well this year I'm glad I went to Cal Expo and so will you be if you go.

There seemed to be more vendors and boats and hunting stuff than I ever remember seeing before. The fly fishing hall was well represented with all of our familiar booths and a whole lot more that I've never seen before.

The tying area was well represented with our own David Lee, Jay Murakoshi, Bill Carnazzo, Sturmer White, and a lot of really excellant tyers.

Got to watch Jay tie a very froggy looking Dalberg Diver using stacked and spun deer hair. Watched the "Air Dogs" fly off a ramp into a cold pool which they seemed to love, and just ran in to a lot of old friends that I haven't seen for some time.

Over all,,,,,, a great show. Go with some friends and share the cost of parking and gas, and just bite the bullet when you buy a sandwich and a drink and remind that you only do this once a year.
TONY

wjorg
01-16-2009, 10:58 PM
.....sure hope they do something to keep the San Mateo show interesting......

Darian
01-16-2009, 11:15 PM
Tony,.... we must've been interested in Jay's Dahlberg 'cause Renee and I were there and watched him tie it, too.... We wandered around and checked out a couple of Bass boats before leaving. There's some very good deals there right now. I'm feeling the "itch" for a new boat.... :roll: :roll:

David Lee
01-17-2009, 09:14 AM
It was great to see you yesterday , Tony !

I am truely sorry we didn't have more time to visit - hopefully , Kiene's Expo will allow us more time if you're going to be there .

Had a nice , LONG chat w/ Darian and Renee - lots of fun (I'm pretty sure they both are sick of my voice by now .....) !!

I'll post a full report Monday .

David

Darian
01-17-2009, 10:38 AM
Forgot to mention that I spent some time talking/visiting with FLYZILLA, yesterday.... He gave Renee and I a blow-by-blow description of his epic battle with a 14 pound Sierra that tried to kick 'is A__ (and more....). :eek:

We encountered FLYZILLA outside the Granite Bay Fly Casters booth where he was trying to convince the fly tyers (new to the game) that an impeccable 3" Sardina pattern tied on a size 1/0 circle hook was a great fly. :-k BTW, the newbies were doing a good job in spite of the frustrations of trying to tie while the passers by were contributing all types of unsolicited info/tips (me too). :lol: :lol:

Gotta tell you guys, FLYZILLA's gone hollywood on us. :nod: He's a celebrity, now; appearing in the Fly Tying Theater and wearing his very own official, Salmon pink, exhibitors shirt and name tag. ;)

Good show.... Bought some flies and not much else. Spent some time with Jay M. He was wearing shorts like he was already in Baja.... He makes tying anything look so easy.... :cool: Gave him one of the HudCast flies to try out and report on. when last I saw 'im, he was looking at the fly and muttering something (probably, how would I get out all of those hooks if I try to cast this thing.... :lol: ).

OK, When's Pleasanton starting :?: :?:

Jay Murakoshi
01-18-2009, 10:19 PM
What a weekend... I had a great time visiting and meeting new people. Sat in and watched our newest "hollywood" tyer do his thing- great presentation. Chatted with Darian and Renee for a while. Talked with John Burge for an hour about Mac computers. It was amazing what he did with a couple of my pages. My web site will have a new look in the coming weeks - that's if I don't screw it up. Hung around a few booths chatted with people, some I knew and some I didn't. I entered the Distance casting contest and qualified in the women's division on the distance. I could only shoot off one cast before my shoulder quit on me. I payed my yearly visit to the people who sell the MSM. I met these people 4 years ago at the show and every day when my knees start hurting, I go over to the booth and rub some of this ointment on the knees and the discomfort goes away. Not a sales pitch.

But this weekend was not without a few incidents. Friday afternoon, I went out to my truck and got a rod for some one. Then that evening, I was ready to leave - no keys. Checked all my pockets, checked them again and a third time. Nothing. Went to a couple booths where I had been hanging out, nothing. Dumped out my fly tying bag, nothing. What the hell to do, call my wife in Fresno? Ding, a light came on. I have a spare key under the hood, problem solved. But wait..... HEY DUMMY, you need to get into your truck to pull the hood latch to get the key so you can unlock the truck. What too do, break a window, better idea, call AAA. Called them up and they asked where's your truck located - in the Cal Expo parking lot. How the heck am I suppose describe where exactly the truck is parked. Well 45 minutes later, I flag down the AAA truck pulling into the lock. First things first, paper work then it's slim jim time.... Slim jim opens the door but the alarm goes off, here come security and I'm popping the hood and then to figure out exactly where the stupid key is while I'm going deaf. Got the key, shut the alarm off, started the truck and got the hell out of there before something else happened.
Didn't sleep Friday night thinking about my web site and the instructions early in the day.
No it's not over yet... Saturday morning, decided not to eat breakfast at Denny's again.
Went to Mel's Drive Inn on Howe. Sat there half asleep and when my scrambled egg whites came, I need to dress them with some Louisana Hot Sauce. Took of the lid and nothing came out so I shook it a little, still nothing then one bit shake and then it came out, all over the front of my shirt. Ahhhhh crap don't tell me this is going to be another great day. Thank god I have some spare shirt in the truck. Got to the show and just sat in a chair hoping nothing else would happen. Finished up my tying presentation and then got the hell out of dodge. Enough story - now it's off to Seattle for the Fly Fishing show in Bellevue. Hope to see all of you at the Pleasanton show and the end of February

Jay

Sorry if I bored you. Had to do something besides looking at my web site

Jay Murakoshi
01-18-2009, 10:22 PM
Hey Darian,

I hope to take your fly to the lake tomorrow for some casting lessons. I just finished my kevlar suit :-). I'll let you know how it tracks

Jay