PDA

View Full Version : Shoreline Surf & Estuary Casting & Presentation

Jeff Putnam
01-15-2009, 12:54 PM
The latest video featuring another application for switch rods filmed in HD, just last week.
Click on the "watch in HD" bottom right below the viewing window for the full impact.
Hope you enjoy, jp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAamuCaUZOQ

Charlie Gonzales
01-15-2009, 04:48 PM
Looks good Jeff. What size rod do you suggest for some thing like that?

Terry Thomas
01-15-2009, 08:34 PM
Jeff,
Looks great. When will they be in the shop? I just picked up a Beulah 11ft. 7/8 Surf Rod and I am looking forward to trying it on the Oregon coast in February. I think it has some good possibilities for Pyramid Lake as well.
T.

Jeff Putnam
01-15-2009, 11:37 PM
We used a 7 weight during the filming. Here on the Pacific side we can get away with a 6 weight on calm days when fishing for surf perch, however, if I were to chase stripers off the beach using a large popper I'd take my 8 weight to make the job easier. East Coast fly anglers use 8-9 weights when targeting stipers and bluefish. When fishing for larger fish like roosters and tarpon "beach/surf" rods in 9-12 weights have become popular. These rods resemble a beefy switch rod except two hands are needed to cast them and spey casting techniques are difficult to use due to the rod's extremely fast, short taper. The video will be released around Feb/March and will feature: equipment, selecting lines, leaders, casting instruction and fishing techniques. Of course available in HD-Bluray! JP

k.hanley
01-18-2009, 10:53 AM
Nice going Jeff. Good to see you branching out with HD in the surf. Keep me posted on your projects.
Cheers, Ken