PDA

View Full Version : Smith River Report

jbird
01-14-2009, 06:31 PM
I cut this report from yesterdays posting on usafishing.com

The Smith continues it's slow drop and in most years this would mean ideal fishing conditions at it's present flow The river is currently running at just under 10 feet here on Monday 1-12 and with the slow drop is in great shape but and action is anything but.
Most guides and private boaters are seeing scores of 0 to 1 fish with a few scores of two per boat. At this time there are just not a lot of fish in the river, at a time of year we that should be seeing the best action of the season.
After the well below "par" season last year we suspect that we will see a similar trend this winter. Yes we could see a big influx of fish into the Smith at anytime but we are looking the multiple year trend which has turned hard south for the past few years. We have been on this down cycle for the past three seasons and the lack of fish again this year confirms there is something wrong. I feel (I won't win fans for this opinion from some parties but I always go with my gut) that the Fish and Game Commission needs to make an emergency ruling closing the Smith to the retention of wild fish until we know what is going on.
Over the past two decades the Smith has been a very stable steelhead fishery but this down turn has me concerned. There are many possible reasons for the drop in counts (high flows during past spawning seasons, poor ocean conditions that have affected salmon populations as well, sealions, seals, yadda yadda yadda) but we don't have the time now to "study" the problem. We need action or at least some leadership from Fish and Game.
If the Commission enacted an emergency closure of wild steelhead anglers will still be able to fish and retain hatchery fish. Until we have a better understanding of why the counts have dropped off a cliff we need to protect the wild fish now, not next year.
I ran "this opinion" past of a couple of our sponsors who's winter incomes rely heavily on the coastal river fisheries, especially the Smith. The Smith, with it's fast clearing flows, trophy fish and incredible scenery is an easy sell and I was surprised by their candor and lack of self interest.
To quote Wally Johnson "absolutely! the wild fish have to be protected. I have never seen a down turn of this magnitude and we have to ensure that future runs are preserved."
Kenny Armstrong who I expected a bit of a rebuttal from also surprised me with " I'm looking to be a guide in the long run, not the short and unless we protect what we have now there won't be a fishery. My clients want to fish and given the choice they would rather release a wild fish than take one home knowing that next year they could still fish this river".
I do expect some flack for my opinion but unlike the collapse of the Central Valley river salmon fisheries the causes of the decline here are not as apparent at least not from an environmental stand point. Hopefully we can get some input from some non-fish-hugging biologists into why this prolific steelhead fishery has dropped off and what needs to be done ensure it's future. Better yet, hopefully the Fish and Game Commission takes notice and actually announces an pre-active emergency closure instead of their usual reactive announcement that is years late and the run on life support.
Until then I ask all true "sportsmen" out fishing the Smith to release all wild fish.
Until we see some rain or a push of fresh fish into the Smith better bets lie on the Chetco, Eel and other nearby rivers.

Bob Laskodi
01-14-2009, 07:23 PM
The NCCFFF tried (year before last) to get a catch & release fishery for wild steelhead on the Smith. Got shot down in flames! Interesting to see in this article, that there appears some support from the local guiding community. A big change from the past!

STEELIES/26c3
01-14-2009, 10:24 PM
I've been following the steelhead (or lack thereof) on many of our coastal rivers... The numbers on the Smith, Trinity, Mad, Russian, American are scary low.

There is something terribly wrong (beyond low water and poor climatic and oceanic conditions...) with most/all of our Pacific salmonid runs...

Good on ya... Kenny Armstrong for carrying the sentiment and making the statement that you did regarding the wild fish on the last (dam-less) wild and scenic river of CA.. It says a lot about your character.

Short-sightedness has destroyed most of what is sacred and good in our natural and civic worlds. Our dwindling fisheries and our current economic crisis are parallel indicators of that truth.

Blessed will be the day when the average bloke gives as much credence to the health of a watershed as to a 'stream of income'...

I remain hopeful but believe it will get much worse before it gets any better.

Thanks for the post Jbird~
Mark

Bill Kiene semi-retired
01-15-2009, 09:13 AM
Maybe we could fight for "catch-n-release, barbless and artificial only" for all wild steelhead in CA?

That protects the wild stocks and does not exclude anyone from fishing for them.

Simple but effective........

Mike R
01-15-2009, 11:25 AM
It seems that some of the guides up there are looking at what happened in the valley this year with the salmon closure. I think they see that if the returns get too low, the state will shut down the fishery and they won't get to fish for anything, hatchery or wild.

IMHO, it really is in the best interest for those that make a living off of the fish to do whatever possible to protect them.

Mike

Dustin Revel
01-15-2009, 02:32 PM
Maybe we could fight for "catch-n-release, barbless and artificial only" for all wild steelhead in CA?

That protects the wild stocks and does not exclude anyone from fishing for them.

Simple but effective........

that seems like the right thing to do

dave earl
01-15-2009, 04:48 PM
Bill said

How about releasing ALL steelhead?
I had a discussion the other day with a friend who fishes and he called hatchery steelhead "planters"
Jeez when the fish is let out of the hatchery its about 6 or 8 inches long, it makes it all the way downriver to the ocean and back at least once and it's still called a "planter"?
I personally can't understand why any "sportsman" would consider killing one of these magnificent fish whether it was born in the river OR the hatchery. More fish in the river is better.
It really blows my mind when "guides" throw steelhead in the box.................. I really don't get it

Mike R
01-15-2009, 05:18 PM
Dave, We had a llllooooonnnnnggggg thread on that subject a few weeks back. There's some good arguments from both sides in there.

Mike

jbird
01-15-2009, 06:17 PM
Theres been more than one lllooooonnnnngggggg thread on hatchery fish here (to kill or not to kill) I really hope this thread doesnt go in that direction. Do a search on this forum and youll see lots of great input from both sides of the fence.

Dustin Revel
01-15-2009, 06:50 PM
Theres been more than one lllooooonnnnngggggg thread on hatchery fish here (to kill or not to kill) I really hope this thread doesnt go in that direction. Do a search on this forum and youll see lots of great input from both sides of the fence.

yup that horse has been beaten and burried

dave earl
01-15-2009, 10:59 PM
"yup that horse has been beaten and burried"
well heck, let's dig it up and flog it some more!!!
didn't mean to hijack the thread

aaron
01-15-2009, 11:13 PM
Surprised nobody came out of the woodwork to defend killing wild fish? Didn't I get chastised for promoting the precautionary principle last time.