PDA

View Full Version : Deer Hair Tying?

Cole_TX
01-13-2009, 08:49 PM
What thread are you guys using?

I just cant seem to be happy with anything.

I just placed an order for a couple of spools of Gudebrod GX2, something I have never tried before.

Jay Murakoshi
01-13-2009, 11:08 PM
I'm using Uni Big Fly Thread. I have it in white and yellow

Jay

Cole_TX
01-13-2009, 11:48 PM
Jay,
What is the breaking strength on it?

Adam Grace
01-14-2009, 01:03 AM
I have always enjoyed using Danville's Flat Waxed Nylon for deer hair flies, and pretty much any fly that is large.

Do not use Kevlar, it slices through the hair....I made that mistake a while back :-)

My 2 cents

Hairstacker
01-14-2009, 01:29 AM
I prefer this 200-denier Ultra Thread GSP put out by Wapsi:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v484/Sachlil/gelspun.jpg

Although I've never tried it, I suspect the Gudebrod GX2 you ordered is very similar since it's also a GSP thread. The nice thing about GSP is that, not only is it very strong, but it's kind of slippery so it slides through hair rather nicely. I think you'll like it.

David Lee
01-14-2009, 09:37 AM
I'm with Adam .

FWN is all I've ever needed . It works fine on 'pinky'-sized (and smaller) bunches . One handy tip is ..... twist the thread , that will reduce the diameter and seems to add strength .

Flymaster+ will work fine , also . You just have to use smaller bunches of hair .

David

mikenewman
01-14-2009, 10:33 AM
Hi Cole

GSP is perfect for large deerhair bugs: practically unbreakable and low build up. GX2 is Chris Helm's thread of choice and that's a pretty good recommendation!(Though I note from his catalogue that Gudebrod stopped making fly tying thread in 2006 - must be a lot of inventory still out there)

If you don't like it you can always keep it as a tow rope.

Cheers

Mike

Fats
01-14-2009, 10:04 PM
I've always used the Flat Waxed nylon myself... it lays flat or can be spun to decrease the diameter which increases the strength. I've never tried any of the other stuff. I'll stick with the FWN because I know what it does and how it reacts.

Jay Murakoshi
01-15-2009, 07:26 AM
Cole,

The Big Fly Thread is about the size of "D" rod wrapping thread. I've tried Flat Wax. With all the tension I pull on the FWN, I POP IT. It's probably a great thread if you use a small amount of hair but the amount I tie in at one time is 4 times the diameter of a pencil. Plus I stack all my hair instead of spinning it.

I'll be discussing and tying with deer hair on Friday and Saturday at the ISE show. My tying times are 2:30pm both days. If you want to watch a deer hair expert, I believe Steve Potter is tying on Sunday - don't know what time

Jay

FISHEYE
01-15-2009, 01:00 PM
I agree with Jay. I use big fly thread for deer hair and gurglers. Nothing I have found is a strong except kevlar (which I cannot find in many colors).

Adam Grace
01-15-2009, 11:55 PM
I have wondered about how well that GSP performs but I haven't spun deer hair much since I found out about that thread. When I used to spin quit a bit I loved the FWN. Next time I get a wild hair to spin hair I'll give that GSP thread a try.

mikenewman
01-16-2009, 08:04 AM
Cole

As you can see, it's very much a question of personal preference. Maybe more helpful to ask what sort of problems/issues you've had with the threads you've tried?

Mike