PDA

View Full Version : PETA Attempts To Make Fish More Adorable

Scott V
01-13-2009, 02:40 PM
"Sea kittens" is the new term being used by People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, for the creatures they believe are in dire need of an image makeover: fish.

"PETA thought that by renaming fish sea kittens, compassionate people who would never dream of hurting a dog or a cat might extend that sympathy to fish, or sea kittens," PETA campaign coordinator Ashley Byrne says.

Byrne says that rebranding fish as sea kittens was obvious.

"Fish not only have the same ability to feel pain as a dog or a cat, but they also communicate with one another," she says. "They have complex social interactions; they form bonds; they express affection by gently rubbing against one another."

The PETA campaign boasts a colorful, interactive Web site aimed at children and their parents. It offers sea kitten bedtime stories and a design-your-own sea kitten in hopes it will build compassion in families.

"Most parents would never dream of spending a weekend torturing kittens for fun with their families, but hooking a sea kitten through the mouth and dragging her through the water is the same as hooking a kitten through the mouth and dragging her behind your car," Byrne says.

Alaskan Resistance

PETA has so far only promoted the campaign in North Carolina but plans to take it nationwide, even to Alaska — a state where fishing is both a source of recreation and many families' livelihoods.

In the small fishing town of Unalaska, population just under 4,000, some people see the campaign differently.

"I don't see fish as sea kittens; I see them as food," says 12-year-old Chastity Haskins.

Haskins is looking at the PETA site with her friend, Harmony Wayner, 11.

"It just doesn't look right," Harmony says. Harmony, the fourth generation of a commercial fishing family, looks at the cartoon fish and reads through the information on the site. "They say that they're intelligent, but they're not really," Harmony says. "They have tiny, tiny little brains. Very miniature."

The girls also take issue with the claims that sea kittens are unhealthy to eat.

"They only talk about farm fish — it's not wild Alaskan, which is very good for you," Harmony says.

Sea-Kitten-Friendly Environments

"I don't understand how it makes sense," says fisheries observer Mary Powers, who works on fishing boats to collect data on the catches. She thinks the campaign, which encourages people to petition the Fish and Wildlife Service to stop the hunting of sea kittens, is misguided. "It seems like it's discouraging Americans to buy our product, which I think is unpatriotic."

But Byrne says that even if people lose jobs in the fishing industry through the success of the campaign, they could find work in more sea-kitten-friendly environments.

"So as there is less of a demand for foods like fish, there is more of a demand for other foods, and jobs open up in those industries," Byrne says.

National Marine Fisheries Service management biologist Brian Dixon doesn't see the change coming anytime soon.

"Well, it may raise some money for PETA, but I don't think it'll change the way we manage the fisheries," Dixon says. "I think I may eat some sea kittens tonight."

I am a cat lover and have 3 cats in my family, but I guarantee this will not stop me from eating Sea Kittens, as a matter of fact I will be eating raw Sea Kittens tomorrow for lunch.:D

Cole_TX
01-13-2009, 03:06 PM
I saw this, what a ********* joke!!!!

Phil Synhorst
01-13-2009, 06:22 PM
Sea Kittens.....get your's now. Come complete with predatory instincts, and "Big, nasty, pointy teeth".

I can just hear the kids now...."I soiled my armour I was so scared".

FlyFlogger
01-13-2009, 08:19 PM
All I can say is WTF will PETA think of next? Too bad they don't spend their money caring for and feeding the seals they love to protect instead of bogus advertising for their agendas :-#

Perry

Mrs.Finsallaround
01-15-2009, 02:12 PM
I absolutely adore cats and have 2 of my own at home, but this is OUTRAGEOUS.... PETA has a very bad habit of taking their purposes WAY to far.

Sea kittens???? :rolleyes: Good grief. I just had raw sea kittens for dinner last weekend! And, it was spectacular!

mems
01-15-2009, 04:51 PM
I guess I will need to stock up on some mice patterns. Mems.

Phil Synhorst
01-15-2009, 08:06 PM
I guess I will need to stock up on some mice patterns. Mems.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

alaskanfish
01-17-2009, 11:38 AM
This kinda reminds me of the sea monkey scam from when I was a kid!

I have found that really people can be divided into two groups in this world, those who love cats and those who hate cats... there aren't many who simply tolerate cats. I for one think that cats are evil! (sorry to the cat lovers). Think about it, when you see stuff related to Halloween you see spiders (most think are evil; I like spiders... I know I am off a bubble or two), bats and cats. That whole time that cats are rubbing along the bottom of your legs, I think they are simply sizing you up... strategizing on how to get to that jugular vein!

Seriously, what in the world do cats and fish have in common? Cats eat fish! Cats hate water! I guess that both will react to a flashy object presented in front of them. While I have seen folks hugging their monster king salmon, I have never seen the salmon returning that affection!

This is the lamest propoganda campaign that I think I have ever seen! Does anyone know of anyone who is really taking this seriously?

Bryan Morgan
01-17-2009, 12:45 PM
People Eating Tasty Animals !

wjorg
01-18-2009, 05:50 PM
You know, there is a place for everyone on this earth, one whacko group balances the other....I can name a few in the opposite direction.

However, I will remind everyone of the South American fish that will swim up your pecker if you pee while swimming in the river....that is no sea kitten....

If you like PETA vs. PETA check out the long story of the 20 pound lobster who was freed recently. Idiots probably let him in the ocean without water acclimation and probably killed it....

David Lee
01-18-2009, 08:26 PM
Since I'm celebrating the end of ISE w/ a few adult beverages at the moment ....

How's about a few fun facts ??

YOU - You are an OMNIVORE . What does this mean ?? You have nice , pointy teeth for RIPPING into the flesh of other Animals , and you also have flat teeth - they grind plant matter into something digestable . You can go vegan , or chew on rocks for all anyone cares .... but your basic design is to eat BOTH Meat and Veggies .

If you were DESIGNED (by good ol' Ma Nature) to eat nothing but plant matter ..... you <should> have a 4-chambered stomach and ALL flat teeth , right ?? You can choose to go meatless ( Honest , it's perfectly fine to do so ...) but that would be an UNNATURAL choice .

The people that run PETA are insane . I'm OK w/ that , because some folks are just wacky . I don't quite understand how or why the masses would support this hooey - look at the anti-fur folks in Hollywood (or whereever) that throw $$$$$ by the bucket load at PETA . In my eyes .... it's the same as deciding that you don't want to breath air anymore(nevermind the lack of gills ...) .

If ALL life is so precious to PETA ..... why not rid the world of antibiotics ?? They kill microbes by the billions , don't they ? Change the name of Syphillis to blood kittens ? Strep puppies ?!?

I just don't understand the world sometimes .......

David

dickwhite
01-22-2009, 08:18 AM
I like cats. I just can't finish a whole one by myself.

Dick W.

PS. My appologies to cat lovers. I would hate to lump you in with the PETA crowd.

bolden
01-22-2009, 09:26 PM
I saw an add on adult swim (cartoon network latenight) that talked about this. I copied this from another site and i think these are the exact words.

"PETA is trying to get people to refer to fish as sea kittens..in an effort to make people not want to eat them..all it's done is make us hungry for Land Fish..which is what we're going to rename Cats."

Scott V
01-23-2009, 08:12 AM
I saw an add on adult swim (cartoon network latenight) that talked about this. I copied this from another site and i think these are the exact words.

"PETA is trying to get people to refer to fish as sea kittens..in an effort to make people not want to eat them..all it's done is make us hungry for Land Fish..which is what we're going to rename Cats."

I saw that myself, it came on after Robot Chicken. Too funny that they keep up with stuff like that, someone must be a fisherman on that network.

mr. 3 wt.
01-23-2009, 09:59 AM
I love sea kittens, really!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v17/stevev/diandkim016-1.jpg

In all reality, she is very cat tolerable. She is NOT mean at all and in fact, she would lick you to death.

Darian
01-23-2009, 11:02 AM
Like the photo. Good looking friend you have there.... :thumbsup: