PDA

View Full Version : Baja Fly Questions

FISHEYE
01-10-2009, 01:22 PM
I am planning a Baja trip in May with Jay M. and I have been playing around with a few flies. This is a larger Baja version of the fly I have been using in Belize for tarpon, which the guides have named the Kiss of Death. This version is tied with slinky fiber, slinky flash, and UV minnow belly, and the head is dura flash tubing covered with tuffleye and then coated with sally hansens hard-as-nails. It is weighted and tied on a gama SC15 size 3/0. Total length is about 4 inches. So a few questions for you Baja experts.

1. How does this look?
2. Should it be tied on a different hook? I was thinking of a tiemco 600sp or an Owner Aki.
3. Should the entire profile be fuller?
4. How do these colors look?
5. How about the length?

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s240/BN2FSH/BajaMinnows.jpg

Scott V
01-10-2009, 02:12 PM
They look good to me, but I have yet to fish baja but I believe I will be down there with you to see if they work. I need to make some like that in a rainbow fish pattern for big largemouth.

David Lee
01-10-2009, 02:26 PM
........ So a few questions for you Baja experts ........

No 'expert' here ..... but I'll drop an opinion or two !

#1 - They look great !

#2- That hook should do fine . I also like the Trey Combs . The Owner will be difficult to re-sharpen (take a look at those 'cupped-hand' points they have) and , while I have yet to use one .... the TMC 600SP point looks (to MY eyes , anyways) to be a bit too long .

#3- Yes and no . Depends on the common bait down there . Sardina are more broad , top-to-bottom , Mullet are round-ish , Ballihoo are long and slim . I really believe that , if you are stripping FAST , it won't matter for squat .

#4- Again , they look great . You want Olive , or Tan , or Gray over White .

#5- See #3 above . You will want flies that are 1 1/2 inches , to over 6 inches . It all depends on what baitfish are around . Since you used synthetics on these flies .... you can trim them down and keep the taper just fine .

DO NOT leave home without some White Decievers (size 2-3/0) , and a pile of 1/0 Olive/White Clousers w/ Red eyes . Those will fish well more often than not .

Good luck , and have a fun trip !!!!!!!!!

David

Darian
01-10-2009, 02:29 PM
Those are good looking flies.... Good color choices (olive, tan or grey with white). For my own use, I try to make my flies a little less bulky in the tail/wing materials. Also, I taper my tails a bit more. Is that E-Z Body tubing you're using for the head :?: If so, that's a very durable/good choice. There're some Sea Habit photo's available that show their construction. Check out the photo's on Jay Murakoshi's website:

www.fliesunlimited,.com (http://www.fliesunlimited,.com)

Your hook choice (gammy, SC 15) is, also, my choice and the size is right in the middle of most I've seen down there. I prefer size 2/0 in most of my use and larger or smaller as need arises. The length of most of the Sea Habits I use is in the 2" to 3" range. A bit longer if I'm trying for billfish, etc. :nod:

My personal choice of patterns for fishing from a Panga are Sea Habit styles. Of course, Clousers will work anywhere and for surface, Crease Flies, RD Crease Flies or Crystal Poppers, etc. There're more patterns than I can list for fishing in Baja and all are good. If you plan on fishing in the surf, plan to carry some smaller (size 4 - 6) 8) patterns (shrimp, Crazy Charlies, crabs, etc.) just in case there aren't any Grande Roosters around.... :cool:

The main baitfish down there (offered by the pangueros) are the Flat Iron Herring (Sardina) and Mullet. At times, small Humboldt Squid will appear in the surf line and should be a good bait, as well.... Lots to think about.... :D

Looks like you'll be leaving down there when my partner and I will be arriving.... :nod: