PDA

View Full Version : Striper sashimi?

Scott V
01-08-2009, 02:23 PM
I thought I would never try it, but today while I was having lunch at my friends sushi restaurant I tried it thanks to another customer who bought me an order. And I have to say it was very good, if you ever get the chance give it a try. One of these days I will try cooked striper to see what that tastes like.

David Lee
01-08-2009, 02:26 PM
Scott -

Make sure ol' Stripe was frozen well before being served raw - most fish that spend time in freshwater carry Tapeworms (EWWWWWW ) that can be transmited to humans .

David

Scott V
01-08-2009, 03:07 PM
I think my friend said the stripers that he serves are pen raised in the ocean. And he rarely sells it, for some reason people do not want to try it.

malbers
01-08-2009, 08:17 PM
Striper makes really good fish and chips. On par with really fresh Halibut. But, anything battered and deep fried isn't bad. Except the twinky at the CA state fair... that was just weird!

Charlie Gonzales
01-08-2009, 08:29 PM
Suzuki(striper served sashimi style), and yes all striper sold commercialy is pen raised.

Most fish that is sold to sushi restauants has been flash frozen to preserve its freshness.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
01-08-2009, 09:18 PM
We like to fish New Hogan Reservoir in mid-summer for top water Stripers to eat because they are very clean out of there and it is over populated so they are stunted.

I think the limit is 5 Stripers any size?

The run about 4-5 pounds.

Tony Buzolich
01-08-2009, 10:23 PM
He guys, let me tell you, I'm with David on this one, and, I LOVE SUSHI.

I will on occassion keep a striper for dinner, be it BBQ'd, saute'd, in cioppino, or fish and chips, but I will never eat RAW striper.

I'm not sure if they are tapeworms, pin worms, nemotodes, or what kind of parasite but they DO get in to the flesh of the stripers and if eaten raw can continue grow in YOUR bowels.

Now, in an area(like we have around here) that has a population of stripers I would question any restaurant about where they came from.
Pen Raised ? Won't make a damn bit of difference if the pen is in the water around our bay.

I've seen stripers in fish markets back east where they are commercially caught and sold. I've seen farm raised stripers in pens in Arizona that were to be sold for the market.

But, the fish around here spend a good portion of their life living and eating things in the bay that we should only touch with rubber gloves.

A few days ago I came close to throwing some raw striper in to some cerviche' I was making and that same thought came up about the parasites. I thought about the lime juice cooking the fish but,,,,,,,,,,, decided to poach it first,,,,,,and then throw it in the cerviche. AND TASTED WONDERFUL.

So, if you like striped bass like I do, COOK IT FIRST, and then enjoy it without worry.

TONY

Bill Kiene semi-retired
01-09-2009, 12:49 AM
http://www.fao.org/wairdocs/tan/x5951e/x5951e01.htm

I Googled "stripped bass parasites" and wow........round worms and more!

"Anisakis larvae are resistant to salting; immersion in 80° brine, 21 per cent salt, for 10 days will kill all larvae, but in brine of lower strength they can survive for much longer. Anisakis is also resistant to marinating. When there is any doubt about whether Anisakis will survive a process it is safest to use frozen fish. The ability of Phocanema to withstand salting or marinating is not known, but it is probably similar to that of Anisakis."

Bob Laskodi
01-09-2009, 10:17 AM
Any one that eats raw striper is chancing an expensive and uncomfortable trip to the doctor! Seriously, don't do it (unless you also like playing Russian Roulette!).

Scott V
01-09-2009, 10:43 AM
Any one that eats raw striper is chancing an expensive and uncomfortable trip to the doctor! Seriously, don't do it (unless you also like playing Russian Roulette!).

Too late Bob I did it yesterday and will do it again and it tasted great. Heck if I get the chance I will even try blowfish.

Charlie Gonzales
01-09-2009, 10:47 AM
Nice Tony ... Go ahead and accuse the local restaurants of poaching.... and Whole Foods Market while your at it, they sell fresh stripers too.

I know many local restaurant owners/chefs that would not appreciate a comment like that!

Lets all step back and take a look at ourselves before we start pointing the finger at others.

Darian
01-09-2009, 01:57 PM
Charlie,.... After re-reading Tony's post, I don't see where he accused anyone of poaching.... :confused: Am I missing something :question:

Charlie Gonzales
01-09-2009, 02:08 PM
Tony said.....

"Now, in an area(like we have around here) that has a population of stripers I would question any restaurant about where they came from."

What does that mean? I take it as they are buying local caught stripers. If there is a local commercial fisherman that sells, I have never heard of them. From talking to local distributors, all stripers that they purchase are farm raised and are from the east coast.

If thats not how you meant it, I apologize.

Jgoding
01-09-2009, 04:02 PM
Also, my resident sashimi expert told me that once fish hit freshwater that you shouldn't eat it raw. Not sure what this says about striper who make trips back and forth to spawn. I would guess any parasites picked up in freshwater would be purified after some time back in the salt but more research is needed on this one I guess. Honestly, I don't touch the stuff no matter what fish it was carved off except the occasional seared Ahi...

mark m
01-09-2009, 04:25 PM
Hi,
I heard some old-timers would eat the stripers caught from the bay raw. I don't think freezing can kill all the different types of parasites.

I regularly eat raw salmon at sushi restraunts, and I understand they get the salmon from Alaska.

Mark

Double_Haul
01-10-2009, 09:54 AM
I don't eat sushi. Don't like the texture and have fished long enough to see some weird things. All fish I eat are cooked. Most fish are wild are are not given the de-worming stuff cattle and pen raised creatures get. I once bought some "red snapper" at a local fish market. Placed it in some marinade and 3 hours later the surface of the fish was covered with worms. Iv'e caught salmon full of worms, stripers, rockfish, you name it. As far as pen raised sripers I imagine they are raised in fresh water fish farms like the one shown in the show Dirty Jobs. These fish most likely are isloated and recieve medicine to eliminate worm problems. But with the current amount of poaching going on in our state I would not trust the source for any stripers.

Oh and on the Dirty Jobs show they also raised tilapia for sale. They use the tilapia to eat all the striper pooh. I don't eat farmed raised tilapia, raw or cooked!

Frank Alessio
01-10-2009, 10:16 AM
Hey Charlie... Did someone hit a nerve... It is comments like yours that keep a whole lot of people (Members) from responding to a post. No one likes to be Chastised for their opinions
so back off man before you get Jbird started..... Later Frank

David Lee
01-10-2009, 10:48 AM
C'Mon , Guys !!

Scotty mentioned that he tried Striper Sashimi , I warned of the perils of raw stuff handled incorrectly ..... That's ALL .

Sheeeeeeeeeetttt , Y'all sound almost as cabin-nutty as I AM - GO FISHING/GO TO THE SHOP/GO TIE FLIES !!

David

Ed Wahl
01-10-2009, 11:11 AM
I love the "off season" board. Always entertaining.

I can see where Charlie would get a little defensive about a statement like Tony's, he's been in the restaraunt business for many years and still has a bunch of friends who own or run local restaraunts.

In Tony's defense(I know,I know, you can take care of yourself) I've been in several local, small restaraunts and have seen tanks with any and all types of local fish in them. I never asked how they were served or where they came from, but I did see what looked like hook marks on some of the LMB lips.

Just for fun, and because it's one of my favorite fish pics, here's a shot of some Golden Trout I took a couple of years ago. MMMMMM, tasty.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a288/edfish333/GoldenTrout.jpg

Hairstacker
01-10-2009, 04:45 PM
All I can say is that, many years ago, I had considered trying sushi. . . . That is, until I skimmed through a book my wife owned that was chock-full of pictures of "human vectors" (my wife is in the medical field). Pictures of some of the creatures (big and small) that had been pulled out of Japanese fisherman due to eating raw fish from the ocean was enough to permanently convince me to only eat fish of any kind that is well-cooked. :shock: :puke: :shock:

Charlie Gonzales
01-11-2009, 09:04 AM
Hey Frank,

Tony is a big boy and explain for himself what he did or did not mean.

As for chastising other people, isnt Tony doing exactly that. All I am doing is trying protecting the reputation of people who work very hard about something they feal very passionate about.

Opinions are one thing, but accussing someone of wrong doing with absolutely no knowledge is just plain wrong.

If you really feal that I am out of line, then please forgive me, but first try to understand where I am coming from first and not try to just stick up for your buddy.

Jbird, if you have any words of advice, please pm me, I am always willing to learn from others.

Tony Buzolich
01-11-2009, 05:04 PM
Hey Charlie,

Forgive me if I came across with any wrong tone to my voice and by no means am I attacking any reputable business. But when you see things being served that are sport or game fish and animals you automatically question where they came from.

In our area local striped bass are game fish and cannot be bought or sold. Same for all game animals. But, there are numerous restaurants that do serve black bass, blue gill, crappie, even mitten crabs as a part of their menu. I've been to some very nice restaurants that serve venison, alligator, and even "wild" boar. So, where do they get "wild boar"?

Now, I don't know if these species are raised in farms and then sold for food either, maybe they are. The folks that are selling this stuff by the book shouldn't take offence either, they should be proud to advertise that it is farm raised.

What I do object to is the poaching and selling of such animals under the guise of supposed ignorance by those people that are raping not only our delta but the sturgeon and salmon in our streams as well.... It just seems to be out of control and without financial support for our wardens it's just going to get worse.
TONY

Charlie Gonzales
01-11-2009, 09:05 PM
Good to hear from you Tony.

I appreciate all the points that you brought up. Just today on the DFG home page there is a story of 5 young men arrested for poaching abolone; one of them is still awaiting a trial date for a previous arrest for the same charge.

As far as "wild" game, its basically just "free range". And yes many species including deer, elk, 'gators, buffalo, and ostrich are on many menues these days.

Good luck on the upcoming season

Darian
01-11-2009, 09:13 PM
Charlie,.... I recognize that you're feeling a bit defensive about this thread but I can't help remind everyone that disreputable markets and restaurant owners/chefs are the main buyers of game, fish and Sturgeon Roe poached from the bay area or elsewhere.... Why else would we see recent arrest of a couple in Elk Grove who had in excess of 50 deer carcasses in their garage (not the first conviction either) or the arrests of the Striper poaching rings in the Delta.... Like to eat Mahi Mahi :question: :question: Dorado served on the menu at some local restaurants probably was purchased from a legal distributor who acquired it from a commercial fisherman from mexico. :cool: Of course, Dorado (Mahi Mahi) are not allowed to be caught by commercial fisherman in Mexico (except as "by-catch") but if you recall there was the boat seized by the Mexican Government in Magdelena Bay that had in excess of 14 tons of Dorado in it's hold. Less than 1 ton was allowable fish. The volumes don't reflect sale to individual users... :neutral:

I'm only pointing out that it's OK to question (in a polite/respectful manner) any restaurateur if you see something that doesn't make sense.... :cool: As you've correctly said, most markets/restaurants are legit and won't mind telling you about their products. It gives them the opportunity to gain a satisfied/returning customer.... :D :D

dpentoney
03-05-2009, 11:17 PM
Not to mention the river salmon that are taken in the net fishery for "subsistence" that find their way into the restaurant kitchens......

Willisbrow
03-12-2009, 07:27 PM
this msg board is funny.... People always getting mad at other people =[.