PDA

View Full Version : Registering an inflatable pontoon

Scott V
01-08-2009, 09:45 AM
Has anyone registered an inflatable pontoon, if so, how do I show proof of ownership if I do not have the sales receipt from a year or so ago. I want to be prepared for when I go down to the dmv.

The reason I am registering the boat is because I use a trolling motor.

Thanks

mar
01-08-2009, 11:08 AM
I had the same circumstance when I registered mine. I just told them it was a gift and told them a really low value on the raft so I'd end up paying less tax :-) Since there is no hull# on the raft, they went ahead and made one up.
Once you get your CF#, I'd suggest using a plastic plate to stick your CF# and reg stickers. Then you can clip it on and off the frame as needed.

Scott V
01-08-2009, 12:13 PM
I never thought of saying it was a gift. Thanks that is what I needed.

Reno Flytyer
01-08-2009, 04:23 PM
Hey Scott...don't overlook the point about putting the registration numbers on a plastic "plate" and attach it to your 'toon. I put velcro on the back of mine & a slash of velcro on the tube & carry the plates in my car. When the motor goes on, so do the plates. There's a much easier way though, and since I've ripped the velcro off my tube (intentionally), I just slide the ends of the plastic under the straps of the tube & viola...instant and secure attachment. I did see one of my buddies had just put a couple of light wire (coat hanger stuff) hooks on his and hangs the plates from the frame. It's pretty easy to figure something out & for me the sliding under the straps works best.
RFT

Scott V
01-08-2009, 05:35 PM
Thanks RFT.

BruceB
01-11-2009, 09:30 PM
Regarding registering your ponton "We'll just take a statement as to how he got it and an application for registration - it's too inexpensive to get caught up in demanding proof of ownership." is what a DMV manager told me when I posed the question to him.

erhetta
01-21-2009, 01:03 PM
Hey Scott,

Shoot up any info after you go through the process with costs, paperwork, etc...

It would benefit more than just me I think.

Thanks.

Scott V
01-21-2009, 02:11 PM
Hey Scott,

Shoot up any info after you go through the process with costs, paperwork, etc...

It would benefit more than just me I think.

Thanks.

I'll let you know what the costs are when I register my toon. I have no plans as of right now to deeal with it, but I know I will have to some time.

Mike O
01-22-2009, 03:08 PM
we almost got a ticket at bodega bay for this. reg # and sticker has to be permanently affixed to the "hull". This avoids use being able to transfer them to another vessel, and avoid paying the taxes (oops, fees) for registering all of them.

From the DMV website FAQs about CF numbers:

"What Are the Regulations for the Vessel Registration Number?
The vessel registration number (CF number) issued by the department must be displayed as follows:

---Painted on or permanently attached to each side of the forward half of the vessel.
---Be in plain vertical block characters of not less than three inches in height.
---Be arranged so that it it reads from left to right.
---Contrast with the color of the background so that it is distinctly visible and legible.
---Have spaces or hyphens that are equal to the width of a letter other than "I" or a number other than "1" between the prefix and the number, and the number and the suffix. See the example below. "

Scott V
01-22-2009, 04:19 PM
So how do they expect you to permanently attach the current register sticker to a pontoon, it won't stick. Did they say anything about that?

Mike O
01-22-2009, 05:09 PM
guy told us to paint it on. Don't know how to keep the sticker on, tho.