PDA

View Full Version : Rancho Seco

jpug
01-07-2009, 06:14 PM
Planning on fishing Rancho next week, can anyone offer any info on flies, what part of the lake has been more successful then others, what depth, ete.

Ed Wahl
01-07-2009, 06:58 PM
Hi Pugsly, I'll help you out. The most fish I've seen caught and caught myself came from the bay by the docks at the far end of the dam. After the guard shack you come to a T intersection next to a parking lot with a boat ramp and docks. Check out this area before driving on. If you see a bunch of fish being caught stop and fish right there. Otherwise turn right and go across the dam. The fish can be cruising around anywhere in that end of the lake, so keep an eye out for rises. If you spot a bunch of rises move over and cast at them.

An intermediate line is normally all you'll need. But bring along a floater as well, I was wishing I'd done that last week when the fish were eating bees on top. Ed

Scott V
01-07-2009, 07:50 PM
As for flies my personal choice is anything olive colored, but black is real good also. Size 6 - 10 is what I generally use. Wiggle tails and wooley buggers. Have fun they just planted again this week.