PDA

View Full Version : Difficulty on the Lower Stan

c_johnson
01-05-2009, 02:41 PM
I went out to the Lower Stan near the Tulloch dam this weekend (along with many others), and did not have a very productive day fishing. I managed to get one 12" rainbow on a copper johns, but pretty much missed every opportunity to take advantage of some pretty spectacular hatches.

I'm a relative newbie when it comes to fly fishing I feel that my biggest weakness is identifying hatches and mapping them to flies in my fly box. I know a lot of that just comes from experience, but do any of you have books that you recommend that teach you the basics of entomology and corresponding flies, especially for rivers in California? I have a tough time going from actual real life insects to flies that imitate them.

It was so frustrating because I was just underneath the dam on Saturday with fish feeding on the surface all around me. At times I bet 5-10 fish would be splashing around at one instant. I had these little critters covering my boots and waders and saw that the fish were nabbing each one that fell off the rocks into the water. I tried to match what I saw with so many different dry flies in my box, but not a single take. I tend to be a pretty patient guy but I left the river pretty bummed out that day.

Thanks,
Chris

Rich Leonetti
01-05-2009, 04:03 PM
Fish Food A Flyfisher's Guide to bugs and bait, by Ralph Cutter is a really easy read and is great.

Scott V
01-05-2009, 04:05 PM
Fish Food A Flyfisher's Guide to bugs and bait, by Ralph Cutter is a really easy read and is great.

I'll second that advice, I keep a copy of that book in my back seat all the time.

loganmike
01-05-2009, 05:58 PM
I agree with the book, but also keep in ind that those fish on the lower stan are pretty durn smart. I threw the correct fly and size at them in that same area for an hour once last year. It was only when I switched to 6x tippit that I hooked up.

Other than the missed risers how was the rest of the day, sounds like it was really dam crowded?

good luck.

me

Charlie Gonzales
01-05-2009, 06:04 PM
Hatch Guide for Western Streams, Jim Schollmeyer, Frank Amato Publications.....
spiral bound with color photos of insects , suggested flies and also description where(types of water) and when they come out.

If Bill doesn't have it in stock I am sure he would order it for you.

Good luck and have fun.

....oh and by the way, since your just learning the bugs, you might want to buy or make a seine(sp?). An in expensive one can be assemled out of a couple of dowls, some window screen and a staple gun. You can then stick it in the water to collect bugs as they float down stream and emerge. Pay attention to the color, size, shape and where in the water column(depth) they are. I think I have spent just as much time with one of these in my hands as a rod.........well, close to.

c_johnson
01-05-2009, 06:53 PM
Thanks for the book ideas. I'm going to make a purchase tonight and will officially make better understanding insects one of my New Year's resolutions.

Yeah, pretty crowded until I went up closer to the dam. Not a single soul that far up, probably because it was so freaking cold and wet from the spillway spray.

mar
01-05-2009, 09:04 PM
I've had those moments at the Stan. There could be multiple bugs at different hatching stages. At one time, I was pretty sure they were hitting midges (they were all over the place) until I stopped fishing and observed #18 bwo's on top getting smacked by the little fishies. Certain times of the day, they'll be keying on a caddis hatch as well. If they're keying on mayflies and caddis, they're not too hard to fool.
Matching the midge hatch is a different story (for me anyway). Like someone mentioned, you gotta use 'invisible' tippet that won't drag your tiny midge dries. I've tried 6x, even down to 8x. Experiment on different patterns and once you figure it out, it's just down right silly. They will smack your properly presented 'match-the-hatch' dry on almost every drift.
Good luck out there.

RDS
01-05-2009, 10:48 PM
I fish the lower Stan quite often since I am so close and can tell you that you are not alone. 2007 was a fantastic year on the Stan but in 2008 there were far fewer fish. I also fished downstream from you this weekend and there was a BWO hatch coming off where I was. The last time I fished near the dam I also had fish rising all over. While I did catch several fish it was not easy. Basically the fish have a a very good view of your fly so if the color, size, drift, tippet size, etc. are not really good then they will look at it and turn away. While I am by no means an expert I have fished all over the western US, Canada, and Kamchatka, Russia so I am not a rookie either. I tell you this because there is no reason to be discouraged. As someone stated earlier those fish see a lot of flies(they see quite a few of mine) and they become pretty wise.

The good news is that if you continue to practice on these tough fish then you will kill them when you get to an easier river. Keep at it and good luck.

speyfool
01-07-2009, 09:08 PM
I went to the Lower Stan yesterday. It was a tough day for me too. I'm not a dry fly fisherman, so I didn't have the right flies either. But I did get some by swinging soft hackles in the surface film. They were all small fish though.

The Lower Stan is usually the place I go when I need an ego boost when I had a bad day somewhere else. Hopefully yesterday wasn't a sign for whats to come this year. If so, I gotta find another ego-boostin-river. :)

dave earl
01-07-2009, 10:39 PM
I fished the Stan Below Tulloch dam the day before general stream opening day in 2007 (stan is open all year) My 4 runner was broken into, 3 windows smashed, sage rpl696 stolen along with all the other valuables that I had in the car, It's nice water but I'll never go back after that.

mar
01-08-2009, 10:26 AM
Last time I checked (07-08 regs) the stan below goodwin dam is not open all year. It’s closed Nov and Dec, hence the reason for more crowds on Jan 1st opening day.
I too have seen broken window glass out there (the past few years), but never had problems with my vehicle. I drive an old, beat-up dirty Toyota truck. I only leave taco bell and jack-in-the-crack wrappers inside. I’d like to think that’s the reason why those losers haven’t messed with my vehicle :-)

dave earl
01-16-2009, 09:38 AM
Hi Mar,
Your right. its not open all year but it was legal the day I was there- 1 day before the general stream opening day. My car is a newish 4 runner and looks like it probably had a bunch of valuables in it. live and learn

big bug
01-22-2009, 10:42 PM
There are quite a few fish in the two mile bar access. S and M nymphs in brown and green have been working size 16 and 18. The BWO hatch is around noon. The midges hatch in the evening.:fish:

wjorg
01-22-2009, 11:05 PM
Pettis Unreal Egg

A few years bag my friend went to fish a secret spot called Herb's Hole.

A guy named Herb was there. He preceeded to tell my friend Smiley he "would never catch a trout on that egg."

Smiley caught two 18" plus fish in two casts. Herb s*it his pants.

Use shrimp pink.....Ive been freight trained below the v rock "further upstream" twice....

I also was "fortunate" to catch 7 trout larger than 20" and got pics.....problem was the exhustion made me fall asleep at the wheel on the way home and burn my rig, gear, and the camera......only thing that survived was a box of sweet hand tied flies that floated down the river to me that day. I left them at the junkyard.......

big bug
01-22-2009, 11:25 PM
I saw a spin fisherman catching fish on a red and yellow sucker spawn. He was pretty excited that he could catch fish on a piece of yarn!!!=D>