PDA

View Full Version : "The Angler's Coast" by Russell Chatham

Bill Kiene semi-retired
12-30-2008, 09:17 AM
We have these in stock now so if you have never had your own copy drop by or give us a call.

http://www.clarkcitypress.com/productDetail.php?product_id=5

Bill Markwood
12-30-2008, 10:18 AM
The chapters of this book are individual short stories that can be read over and over again. Chatham is a great story teller. He brings to life a time in the history of northcoast and bay area fishing that we will probably never see again. I highly recommend "The Angler's Coast".

Dustin Revel
12-30-2008, 09:12 PM
hey Bill,
how much?

Bill Kiene semi-retired
12-31-2008, 02:02 AM
I think it is very well priced at $34.95 for a hard bound copy.

Dustin Revel
12-31-2008, 02:49 AM
well priced indeed, buy i'll have to see if the library has it first

Darian
01-01-2009, 10:24 AM
I have all of Chatham's books and rate him as one of my favorite authors, overall. He tells a great story with a bit of all types of emotions, respect, reminisence and pace. There're not too many authors I've read who could describe the lead up to and preparation of a duck dinner. I felt I could actually smell/taste the dinner, itself, and haven't laughed so much in quite a while. I re-read all of his books at periodic intervals. 8) 8)

wjorg
01-01-2009, 04:49 PM
True Gem this book is!

Tracy Chimenti
01-05-2009, 09:19 PM
This is by far the best angling book I have ever read. Sometimes I pick it up and find myself blowing through chapter after chapter. Chatham has a certain mystical rythm that sets him apart from other angling writers. I think alot of us would highly recommend this book. You won't be able to put it down on the first read.

Tracy

jmccandless
01-20-2010, 12:27 PM
Didn't know about this book by Chatham, definitely get his book Dark Waters if you like this one...

Ned Morris
01-21-2010, 03:35 PM
This is one of my treasures found in my library. Another rare one everyone might like from a different author is "Waters of the Golden Trout Country" by Charles McDermond. It is essentially the High Sierra equivalent of "The Angler's Coast" and has neat stories of early Backpacking and Fly Fishing for trout throughout the sierras in the 1940's. These guys were nuts. No pack trains and had like 100 lb. packs. Great one if you can find it.

Don Powell
01-21-2010, 09:49 PM
Russ Chatham, then and now, embodies what a true flyfisher and lover of life truly represents...

His passion for the sport, and for that matter, life, and anguish at what has happened to Mother Earth tears at my heart.

This man is an author and artist who knows no limits and in addition, knows how to poetically express all the feelings that draw us so close to the natural experience and cause us to lament when we see it vanishing before our very eyes...

$34.95 is a bargain you will never appreciate more...through his writing, he has influenced my thinking more than anyone now still alive!

Oh yeah, be sure and read his 1975 Sports Illustrated article about Bill Schaadt- you will gain a true understanding of the impact of Anglers of a Lost Coast...

Truly, one of my few remaining heroes!

sgr
01-21-2010, 10:16 PM
I first found Chatham in Greys' Sporting Journal about a hundred years ago, or so it seems.
Both his artwork and his writings are American treasures.
He is one of my favorites, also.

brycer
01-23-2010, 12:00 PM
That guy is good writer and sportsman. I interviewed him many years ago for a newspaper and found him to be very informed but humble. There are some other writers who are worth reading; anything by Thomas McGuane, Steve Bodio, Bill Barich, Tom Knudson, Charles Bowden and of course Jim Harrison are worth your time in the evening. Who else?

sgr
01-23-2010, 12:16 PM
Wow. I hadn't heard Steve Bodio's name in years. Thanks for the reminder.
So, who else?
Most of the old Gray's Journal cabal; Ron Rau, Howell Raines, John Hewitt, Charlie Waterman.

One of my most treasured books is the "Tales From Gray's" anthology.

I suppose naming Robert Traver's work would be too obvious...