PDA

View Full Version : any american reports?

jburge
12-28-2008, 07:15 PM
Has anybody heard or seen any steelhead reports on the American? Goethe Park? Watt Avenue? I got a chance to test out the new waders on Sunday evening, but went home with another skunk.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
12-28-2008, 09:45 PM
I have heard of some bigger winter-run Steelhead being caught in the river but not exactly where.

590Mike
12-29-2008, 10:41 AM
Yes, been there and there we went Friday fished AM dark till 2:3ish. I had two takes missed them both, partner landed 3, one fat 23" , two at 18" one was bright chrome. Orange egg pattern and #14 or 16 "olive baetis", we covered a ton of water Arden, Gothe, Ancil Hoffman. Saw a few spwaned out salmon downstream which was encouraging.

Mike R
12-29-2008, 11:46 AM
I was out sunday as well. Spent most of my time trying out some spey lines and looking for water. I haven't fished the river much and am trying to find some good water. I didn't get any grabs, but then again, I wasn't really trying. Slapping the same piece of water repeatedly while trying a new line isn't that great for fishing :).

One question though, being as I don't have much time on the American, the water had a little color to it, maybe 4-5 ft of vis. Is this normal?

Mike

IronMtn
12-29-2008, 03:32 PM
Fished Paradise Beach yesterday untill about noon. Lost two hot fish, a couple short grabs, but nothing to hand. Swinging a copper john with an olive Fox's poopah below.

jburge
12-30-2008, 10:25 AM
Wow, good to hear those reports coming in. I'll be back out there today. I'd love to post my "first steelhead" experience here.

And Mike, about the water color... I don't spend a ton of time on the American, but I've been on it enough to see that Sunday's water was not as clear as it can be. Matter of fact, there were several instances I had to hold up casting while large debris floated through.

jb

Fats
12-30-2008, 07:22 PM
My wife and I were fishing the River today and yesterday... We saw some 1/2 pounders but didn't hook up with anything. I didn't see anybody hooked up either. We were at Watt, Howe and Paradise beach.

Fats
01-01-2009, 06:51 PM
How did the River fish today?

590Mike
01-01-2009, 07:00 PM
JB I'm with you on that. I've seen it a lot clearer myself. A little rain a little color in the water, good fishing.

jburge
01-01-2009, 10:56 PM
I was out again on Tues and came away with another skunk. Water didn't look too clear and I saw three guide boats come through (7 fishermen total). Two of the boats hadn't scored anything other than a couple of grabs, the other said they "caught a few." Here's hoping the new year brings more luck.

jb

burl51
01-03-2009, 12:34 PM
Fished from 7:00 am to 1:00 pm. Fished the upper and the middle river. Only one tug
and really not that strong. It was cold, wet and kinda windy at times. Classic steelhead weather. Well no fish but got to try out a new spey rod so was all good.

Burl

medfly
01-03-2009, 02:55 PM
swung flies the last few days, bout 2 hours each time in the evening, near watt and then closer to elmanto, no tugs, no fish, no nothing....only good times.