PDA

View Full Version : tfo warranty ?????

norcal tom
12-24-2008, 11:50 AM
just a quick ??? about the warranty i had a eye break and was wondering if i glued it if it would void my warrnty the only reason iam thinking about glueing it because its my steelhead rod and i dont wont to send it off in the heat of a good push of fish if a glue it what kind of glue shound i use thanks guys and merry x mas thanks again tom

mems
12-24-2008, 01:14 PM
Hi Tom, I am the TFO rep for Hawaii. Call TFO and ask them if you should send in the whole rod, or just the section with the bad guide. They can send you a new section, or and entire new rod fro $25. Hope this helps, Don Memmer.

Darian
12-24-2008, 01:31 PM
Tom(?),.... You haven't said whether it's a snake or stripping guide but I'm not sure gluing a broken guide is going to be adequate for fighting a good size fish. If the glue separates while fighting a fish, you'll probably lose it and may damage the surface of the line; not to mention losing a leader and/or fly.

If you're not able to remove the epoxy and thread to replace the broken guide, I'd recommend taking Don's advice. It certainly doesn't take much time to send in a rod for repair. Or, you could have someone buy you a new TFO rod for X-mas. :D you'll be happier.... :D

jbird
12-24-2008, 02:10 PM
if you have a flyshop that carries tfo nearby, maybe theyd give you a new section and they can deal with the warrantee???

Jay

Big Al
12-24-2008, 02:45 PM
TFO has fantastic customer service! I was fishing at Clark Canyon and just landed a hot 24-inch bow. I went to cast my slime line and it rapped around the center section of my rod. Well that fish had blown out my guide on my Teeny five-weight rod. I just love the TFO teeny rods they have a light tip and a strong butt, I figured that it was all over for this rod on this trip. I called the TFO 800 number and talked to Brendon and told him what had happened. He FedExed a rod section out that day to a fly shop in Dillon, well three days later my rod arrived with no charge! TFO customer service is right up there with Loomis!

norcal tom
12-24-2008, 03:32 PM
yeah its a snake guide on a teeny 8wt it happend this morning and customer service it closed tell the 5th of the new year thanks for the help

Hairstacker
12-24-2008, 03:45 PM
Tom, unless it's the tip-top, it should not be simply glued on. If you look at your guides carefully, you'll note they are wrapped on with thread over which a special type of epoxy has been applied. Assuming you still want to do the repair yourself, you'll need to totally scrape off whatever glue is still there adhering to the blank where the broken guide was. Then you'll have to re-wrap it with some size A thread, after which you'll have to apply epoxy (e.g., Flexcoat or some other rod wrap epoxy), carefully rotating the rod while the glue sets so it doesn't lump up on one side. Odds are, it will take a couple of coats spaced a day apart. If you go this route, check out the tutorials on a site such as rodbuildingforum.com so you understand pertinent details which I haven't even begun to address.

Given the time and expense of doing the repair yourself (let alone doing a halfway decent job of it) versus TFO's warranty, I would follow the other fellas' advice and send it in. TFO will send you a new section or a whole new rod.