PDA

View Full Version : Olden Days

Jay Murakoshi
12-14-2008, 01:53 AM
I'm sitting here tying flies and editing a couple small trailer video projects that I'm doing for a friend and listening to "Oldies". I came across the music via posted message by Stan P on Blanton's board. A version of "standby me" sung by different musicians from around the world.

This sorta/kinda brings me back to my "hippie/surfing" days. Can you imagine me with shoulder length black hair, a head band and nero type shirts from TJ. It was definitely some good years back then. Then it happened, I GOT DRAFTED... The people of my community wanted me to serve. So as a young buck, I was gung-ho...went Airborne Infantry with the 101st AB.... But couldn't see jumping out of a good plane into the jungle.
I extended my enlistment to 2 1/2 yrs and became a pilot.

The best thing I remember from those days is coming home on leave from Viet Nam and
attending the Monterey Pop Festival... With short hair, I really stood out in the crowd. But seeing Jimi Hendrix, Janice Joplin, etc.... has been the high lites of my life. But first and most of all having my 3 kids and watching them grow up. Can you believe, I actually kinda quit fishing. Got involved with sports, traveling sports teams, horses and figuring out why my hair was starting to turn gray.

Anyway, I'm going to join the high tech world - I'm getting an iPod : -)

Enough rambling, gotta get back to the editing screen.

Have a happy holiday

Jay

Tony Buzolich
12-14-2008, 06:17 AM
Jay,
I think as we get older we all reminisce more. The mind is still clear but the body is wearing out.
TONY

Bill Kiene semi-retired
12-14-2008, 10:17 AM
Tony and Jay and I all grew up in the same time after WWII in this wonderful country of ours.

When I tell the younger crowd that there was no TV when I was little they probably don't believe me.

Now we have so much new high tech cool stuff.....

"Stand by Me" from all over the world:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Us-TVg40ExM

Darian
12-14-2008, 10:44 AM
Jay,.... If you had 3 kids, no further explanation is required for the grey hair.... :wink: :unibrow: :lol:

Jay Murakoshi
12-14-2008, 12:04 PM
Bill,

Speaking of no TV, I think we were the first one in the neighborhood to have one. My dad built it from a Heath Kit (remember those) and I also remember having a real Ice Box on the back porch.

Tony, yeah the body parts do start to wear out. Especially if you played football in high school and got knee injuries
Hell, we're probably scaring the young ones out there or there sitting back laughing

I love it

Jay

590Mike
12-14-2008, 12:24 PM
Ok you guys now your'e aging me. We I had a tv when I was a kid but it was black and white with "rabbit ears" . Trying to tell kids about the advent of color tv and "pong" yikes. Oh and let's not forget party lines and operator assisted long distance phone calls. if you wanted the fishing report on Shasta Lake or the Sacramento we made a "operator call" to Hinkles market in Redding, from Anderson! I have to go now and take my nap.

Dabalone
12-14-2008, 12:54 PM
Color tv's, I remember my cousin being the first to cough up the dough for one. His house turned into a weekly family and friends get together to watch Star Trek in color. Never forget all those people packed in that small living room watching Captain Kirk and crew clear the galaxies. Jay, I also was lucky enough to see Jimi Hendrix a couple times, growing up and hanging out on the beaches of So. Cal in the sixties was great, we may have shared the same waves at some point.

Charlie S
12-14-2008, 03:14 PM
Let's not forget milk deliveries, getting the cream off the top was fun!!! And we can go into washboards, dimmers on the floorboards and, of course, Sunset Shooting Heads.

Tracy Chimenti
12-14-2008, 05:32 PM
So there's hope for me after all, Jay? I have one boy and am having a rough time getting on good water regularly.

Thank-you so much for being a veteran. You deserve the freedom.

Were you at the pop festival when the biker security guys got out of control and stabbed the guy(s)? I remember vacationing in Monterey with my family and seeing the guru-- the older, lead hippy of some band of youths, shaking up a handful of pills on some restaurant's back porch and everyone in the bunch took one and popped it in their mouth. Mom and dad didn't wait around to watch them hallucinate.

Oh... surfers are part fish. So that makes you somewhat of a masochist!

Reno Flytyer
12-14-2008, 05:42 PM
I don't think the stabbing took place at Monterey...I believe it was at Altamont. Any of you greybeards know?

RFT

aaron
12-14-2008, 06:17 PM
Who's Jimi Hendrix? ;)

mikenewman
12-14-2008, 06:46 PM
Aint got no grey beard (aint got much hair at all!) but:
1969 Altamont Speedway track was the venue for the infamous free festival where the Rolling Stones handed over the security to the Hells Angels - smart move Mick! One fan knifed to death by the Angels and several others died from, er, over enthusiasm. Documentary called "Gimme Shelter" tells the whole sordid tale.

Jay Murakoshi
12-14-2008, 08:06 PM
Tracy,

I remember a lot of people "flying high". I think the name of the restaurant was Carruso's Corner. Where I lived, you could sit outside and hear the music all night but it was better to see it in person. So many "flower power people". There were 1,000's of Hells Angels on the peninsula and camping out along the beaches.
Now, I don't like to be in crowds - that's why I love it when there's only a couple of people fishing the same waters.

I have attended a couple of the Monterey Jazz Festivals. Pretty good sounds.

Jay

victorm
12-15-2008, 08:27 AM
Yes, it was Altamont, I was sitting not far away watching the Rolling Stones play. End of an era.