PDA

View Full Version : uplining new lines

opnwide
12-11-2008, 08:07 AM
Bill........in your past posts regarding bonefish/tarpon casting you have generally indicated that you guys upline. Rio has introduced a new bonefish and now a new redfish taper; what has been your experience in casting these new lines? Would it still be a good idea to upline them?

Thanks, Craig Graham

Bill Kiene semi-retired
12-11-2008, 08:21 AM
Hi Craig

There are some variables we look at:

Are you casting long? (poled out of a boat for bonefish or open shallow flats for tarpon) - don't over-line

Are you casting short? (wading for bonefish or fishing in mangroves) - do over-line

Is you rod very fast with a very stiff tip? -do over-line

Is you rod slower with a softer tip - don't over-line

Rio came out with a new Tarpon, Bonefish and Redfish which we cast in the parking lot about 2 months ago with our Sage/Simms/Redington/Rio Rep.

I don't know if those lines are already over-lined some but imagine that are a little.

If you have a very stiff rod and will be casting short I would go up one size.

Some people go up a size on everything because of their casting style. Some don't like their rod loaded up that much. That is a personal choice.......

Tell us which rod you have an a little more about your situation.

opnwide
12-11-2008, 09:10 AM
Bill, thanks for the quick reply. I have a Orvis Helios 8 wt, tip flex 9.5; Most of my casting is done wading or off the front of the guides boat, for bonefish primarily. Invariably in the wind. I had always uplined my Loomis GLX 8 wt to a 9 but with the new rod I am in a quandry; for me the Helios casts better with a 9 wt SA bonefish line than an 8 but I wish to purchase a new Rio bonefish line with the new taper and this is the reason for my post.

Craig Graham

easymends
12-11-2008, 06:22 PM
Helios equals overline in my opinion.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
12-11-2008, 11:59 PM
I will try to find out if the new Rio Bonefish is at the standard weight or is it over-weighted.

Terry Thomas
12-13-2008, 07:16 PM
With a little search to Rio's site I found the following information. The AFTMA guidelines for an 8 wt. range from 202-218 grains. The new Bonefish line in 8 wt. is not "uplined" coming in at 218 grains. The Redfish line, however, does look like it is "uplined" by one size weighing in at 257 grains. With regard to Helios rods, I would say that they are as close to being "spot on" for line sizes as any rod on the market. We have sold quite a few Helios rods this year and have yet to recommend one to be "uplined." If you are thinking of the Redfish line, I would still use the # on the box...if you have and 8wt., buy an 8wt. line because that is how they were designed. Hope this helps.
Terry

Redfish

New for 2009

RIO’s new Redfish fly line has a short back taper for fast casts and a mid length front taper that will present a fly without spooking back country Reds. The taper features an increase in weight towards the front of the line to make it easy to load rods at close range and to cope with typical saltwater winds. A hard, saltwater coating over a medium stiff core results in a fly line that will not wilt in most conditions and retains good loop control. The line is built with RIO's XS Technology that ensures the slickest of finishes and an AgentX undercoat to keep the running line and tip floating high. Includes a welded loop at both ends for easy rigging.

WF6F – WF10F
Length: 100 ft (30.5 m)
Color: Aqua Blue