PDA

View Full Version : Pyramid

jayclarkflyfishing
12-09-2008, 05:51 PM
The fishing at Pyramid has been hit or miss.I got out a couple of days over the past week and was able to find fish.Three of them have been over 25".I'm using T11 shooting heads and buggers and beetles have been producing the most grabs.Got brutalized by big waves yesterday with a few breaking over my shoulder or slamming me in the back!What a great lake!!

Fish On!!
Jay

mar
12-11-2008, 07:56 AM
thanks for the report. I was out there about a month ago and caught a few fish doing the same thing: T-11 shooting head and dragging a wooly bugger on the bottom. Also caught one on a midge suspended 10' from the top.
Did you do any bobbicating at all or is it too early for that? Any fish in the shallows yet?

Bill Kiene semi-retired
12-11-2008, 08:28 AM
Pyramid Lake in Nevada is a place to go for big Cutthroat trout from November through May.

I think March/April are now the popular time to fish there for numbers of fish.

If you haven't gone there it would be a good experience for you.

Probably one of the the best place to catch the biggest trout while wading.

dave earl
12-12-2008, 09:46 AM
I've got a question about pyramid. I've never been there but I know fishing from a ladder is the popular way to fly fish. is it ok to fish from a pontoon boat there? or considered uncool?
or unworkable for other reasons? also is a california liscense enough or do you need nevada too?
I might try it this season but it seems more efficient cruisin' the 'toon than standing on a ladder.
thanks

Darian
12-12-2008, 10:38 AM
Hi Dave,.... If you're planning to go up there at this time of year, get ready to freeze your a__ off. :lol: The weather (especially wind) makes tubing or pontooning chancy. Pyramid can get a dangerous chop on it in a flash.... The natives rescue people in tubes and "toons" up there every year. :roll:

There're 2 reasons to fish off a ladder up there. First, it's a lot better to stand on a ladder to keep your legs/feet from becoming numb. :eek: The second is to enable longer casts. Some of the contraptions (ladders) you can see up there have seats and fish finders on them.... :lol:

The only license required up there is issued by the Paiutes. You can buy one at the stores on the reservation or at the Reno Fly Shop in Reno. I imagine there's a couple of other places off the res., where you can get one, too.

IF you decide to go, practice making a double haul cast, using a shooting head with two flies Wooly bugger (size 4-6) and another type (size 8-10). Some people use 2, heavily weighted) wooly buggers....

Make sure you dress warm (layers), take a thermos of hot coffee and have a change of clothes for the drive home. Better yet, stay over in a motel. You won't be as tired on the way home.... :nod: :nod:

Kinda seems like the worse the weather is, the better the fishing is.... Great place. :D :D

loganmike
12-12-2008, 10:43 AM
That's great info Darian, thanks!

me

SHigSpeed
12-12-2008, 12:19 PM
Hi Dave,.... If you're planning to go up there at this time of year, get ready to freeze your a__ off. :lol: The weather (especially wind) makes tubing or pontooning chancy. Pyramid can get a dangerous chop on it in a flash.... The natives rescue people in tubes and "toons" up there every year. :roll:

There're 2 reasons to fish off a ladder up there. First, it's a lot better to stand on a ladder to keep your legs/feet from becoming numb. :eek: The second is to enable longer casts. Some of the contraptions (ladders) you can see up there have seats and fish finders on them.... :lol:

The only license required up there is issued by the Paiutes. You can buy one at the stores on the reservation or at the Reno Fly Shop in Reno. I imagine there's a couple of other places off the res., where you can get one, too.

IF you decide to go, practice making a double haul cast, using a shooting head with two flies Wooly bugger (size 4-6) and another type (size 8-10). Some people use 2, heavily weighted) wooly buggers....

Make sure you dress warm (layers), take a thermos of hot coffee and have a change of clothes for the drive home. Better yet, stay over in a motel. You won't be as tired on the way home.... :nod: :nod:

Kinda seems like the worse the weather is, the better the fishing is.... Great place. :D :D

Seems like an anchored 'toon would be better to ride over the big waves rather than get brutalized by a rogue from behind no? Sure you can't cast as far, but at least you won't get knocked in. I think two anchors would be ideal though....

I've been curious about taking my 'toon out there. Cold doesn't bother me too much, wet does! :)

_SHig

Darian
12-12-2008, 01:22 PM
I've seen people fishing out of "toons" & tubes at Pyramid but not many. And, those that do keep an eye out for changes in the winds. The best time would probably be in the AM for calm water.... Pyramid is big water (11 miles long and eight wide). Wind can be seen progressing over the surface of the lake from any direction. A major chop develops rapidly and can displace anchors (even on boats). If you are anchored, you're gonna get real wet/cccccold.... :\\

During the early '80s or late 70's, an article appeared in the now defunct Angler magazine about fishing at Pyramid. It was written by Del Canty who routinely used a float tube for fishing up there. He recalled an incident where he was caught in a sudden wind change that blew him across the lake from his starting point (approx. 8 miles). He was forced to spend a wet, overnighter before someone could come and get him. :eek:

If you decide to make the choice to fish out of a tube or 'toon up there, go prepared. ;) ;)

dave earl
12-12-2008, 06:40 PM
Hey Darian,
Thanks for taking the time for the detailed and informative answer to my questions, I appreciate it

jayclarkflyfishing
12-14-2008, 05:51 PM
Darian ,
Thanks for the info.I agree that float tubing and pontooning can be a dangerous proposition at Pyramid.The winds can be ferocious and come up in a hurry.Big waves make add another element to it.Also,Pyramid is 30 miles long and 10 miles wide(not 11 miles long and 8 miles wide)

Shig,
I would recommend against anchoring a pontoon in a big wind/wave event.If you get thrown from your boat hypothermia and or drowning is a real possibility.Pyramid is a lake that demands the utmost respect.Show her that respect and she will reward you in generous ways!

Dave,
Permits can also be obtained online from the Pyramid Lake Paiute Tribe at www.plpt.nsn.us

Pyramid is a special place!

Jay

jayclarkflyfishing
12-14-2008, 05:58 PM
Mar,
No bobbers yet for me,but I was tempted a week ago in calmer seas and plenty of fish around.

Jay

SHigSpeed
12-14-2008, 06:25 PM
Darian ,
Thanks for the info.I agree that float tubing and pontooning can be a dangerous proposition at Pyramid.The winds can be ferocious and come up in a hurry.Big waves make add another element to it.Also,Pyramid is 30 miles long and 10 miles wide(not 11 miles long and 8 miles wide)

Shig,
I would recommend against anchoring a pontoon in a big wind/wave event.If you get thrown from your boat hypothermia and or drowning is a real possibility.Pyramid is a lake that demands the utmost respect.Show her that respect and she will reward you in generous ways!

Dave,
Permits can also be obtained online from the Pyramid Lake Paiute Tribe at www.plpt.nsn.us

Pyramid is a special place!

Jay

Fear not, I get green (WAY green) seasick in waters that ocean fishermen call "glass" so I have a physical interlock to big wave events! :)

Thanks for the warning!

_SHig

Bill Kiene semi-retired
12-14-2008, 10:56 PM
Talked to a guy at the shop today who said last spring (April/May) the fish came into a foot of water at Pyramid Lake and he was catching them with smaller nymphs sight casting like he was chasing Bonefish on the flats.

Has anyone else seen this?

jayclarkflyfishing
12-15-2008, 08:40 AM
I also saw this Bill.It was unbelievable!The fish were within a few feet of the bank and it looked like a salmon migration.The fish were thick and came by in this school for 4-5 hours straight!Awesome.Unfortunately alot of fish were being snagged by larger flies.To avoid snagging I slow stripped a midge through the school and had numerous hookups!

Jay

Darian
12-15-2008, 11:50 AM
Bill,.... Fishing with an indicator has been going on at Pyramid for some time now. Especially in the north/south nets areas (....or any area where flats are located). In the main, it's done in the spring as Lahonton Cutthroat are spring spawners and they tend to congregate near the nets before ascending the channel to the hatchery. :cool:

Fisherman plant their ladder/stands in the water, cast blindly or locate a passing school of fish and cast to them with either spinning or fly gear. one type of rig involves using an indicator over a small nymph such as a Chartreuse Copper John. The line is cast and allowed to sit until a passing trout takes it under. This type of fishing at Pyramid is not really to my liking. :neutral: I fish bait under a bobber at places like red Lake when I'm on a day trip with my retired Ol' Fart, non-fly fishing buddies. That's enough for me. :lol:

I prefer to cast, using a two fly rig involving a Beatle/Wooley Bugger, Chub/Wooley Bugger or Nymph/ Wooly Bugger combo. :smirk: Used to cast a shooting head/mono running line but have switched to an heavy, integrated head line now. I find it easier to control the line handling when it gets cold up there and sacrifices little distance. :cool:

It's not unusual to see fish roaming around in the shallows behind the ladders/stands. I guess you could fish on the backcast up there, also.... :unibrow: