PDA

View Full Version : New synthetic hair blend....

Bill Kiene semi-retired
12-08-2008, 11:04 PM
We just got in some Steve Farrar Blend ($4.99) which is really nice fine 10" synthetic hair with some fine flash blended into it.

http://www.flytyer.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1601&Itemid=0

From www.flytyer.com

For saltwater/striper streamers........

Darian
12-09-2008, 10:49 PM
Bill,.... take a look at the Estar Listo Fly tied for Baja saltwater by Steve Cali:

www.califlies.com

Beautifully tied with blended materials. Steve was kind enough to send me a "classic" for my collection. I've tied a few up for Roosters down there.... Not sure but I think you can buy them from the San Jose Fly Shop if you're interested. :cool:

FISHEYE
12-10-2008, 05:46 PM
I have been using the Farrar blend for some time now on various flies, like a few clousers, and some bait fish flies for salmon and tarpon. It is great stuff!!!!

Steve Cali
12-11-2008, 08:28 AM
Slinky Fiber is great stuff. Sinks well, tapers easily and is very durable.

Here is an article how Steve Farrar blends Slinky Fiber.

http://www.aswf.org/saltwater_flies_for_web/steve_farrar/saltwater_flies_steve_flas.html

You can either do it yourself or purchase it already done for you with out the mess. I love to blend all my materials with different flashes etc...and use a method similar to Steve's but a little different...

Darian, thanks for the kind words. I really appreciate that though I have to tell you I took that site down, califlies.com but have launched a few others...hopefully a bit more professional looking etc...

Attached are two 9" Synthetic Clousers that I tye using Slinky Fiber. Both Clousers are a blend of angle hair, polar flash and a number of Slinky Fiber colors...

Bill has some great fly tying material from Steve Farrar that is worth messing with.

Steve Cali

FISHEYE
12-12-2008, 02:10 PM
Steve, or anyone else, do you know the name of the flash that is used in slinky flash (now called flash n slinky- I think)? I can visualize it now but not the flash in the farrar blend. Is the flash in the farrar blend angel hair?

Steve Cali
12-12-2008, 02:41 PM
Fisheye,

The flash in Slinky Flash / Flash n Slinky is Gliss n Glow.

I am not sure what Steve's blend is but Bill might know...

Steve Cali

Tracy Chimenti
12-14-2008, 05:42 PM
Those flies from the Salwater Flies article are out of this world. Add that to my basket, Bill!
Nice slinky sillouette and great color combos. I'm starting to wonder if I will ever need Polar Bear again!
Tracy

Steve Cali
12-14-2008, 07:55 PM
Tracy,

These flies,

http://www.aswf.org/saltwater_flies_for_web/steve_farrar/fly_gallery2/large%20hollow%20fleyes.htm

are really inspirational to me. They are beautiful!

Just imagine if you substituted bucktail for synthetic. These flies would move and look so fishy...."oooooooo" ... grin ...

Steve Cali

Bill Kiene semi-retired
12-14-2008, 10:51 PM
Beautiful stuff...........thanks Steve.

Darian
12-15-2008, 11:15 AM
If you haven't already done it, you should all check out Steve's Blogspot. Just click on the spot in his signature line.... :cool:

Great photography, good info and step by step tying instructions for his Synthetic Clouser accompanied by a photo of each step. Lots of other info as well.... :D :D

Steve Cali
12-15-2008, 08:00 PM
Darian,

I am glad you like it so far...

As you can see I have just started and I am still learning all the nuances of the blog site's publishing tools with regards to photo sizes, layout etc...

Things will be added weekly/daily including more tying instructions to many patterns I love to tie...so check back and often...grin...

Bill, sorry about getting a bit off subject here...but to keep with the theme of this thread I hope everyone here try's some of Bill's new material he has in stock and posts photos of their creations using this material. The styles and uses of synthetics are endless...have fun and....Let's see 'em...and soon!

Regards,

Steve Cali

Darian
12-21-2008, 11:45 AM
Just visited Steve Cali's Blogspot. There's some great video of Marlin on the fly action in Cabo (Baja). Marlin everywhere. Jumpin', runnin', blastin' bait/flies. Really exciting stuff. If you like that type of fishing, go to his Blog and click on the images in the Baja Video Bar.... Warm weather and good fishin'. :D :D There's some quick shots of Marlin flies, also. :cool: Food for the soul in the dead of winter....