PDA

View Full Version : Switch Rod or Spey Rod, That is the Question

stevie steelhead
12-08-2008, 08:57 AM
I was thinking that I could get expert advice from the speyrod experts on the board, about which rod to get for steelhead fishing. I have read many posts about both kinds of rods, but I still can't figure which rod would be best for the Klamath-Trinity Rivers. Also, which reels have you matched with your rods.
I swing most of the time, but will nymph in the winter when the water turns cold.
I thank you in advance for your input(s).

Bill Kiene semi-retired
12-08-2008, 09:29 AM
I will lets someone else talk about recommendations but for the description for the difference between Spey rods and Switch rods here is some general info:

Spey rods are going to generally be 11' or longer (11' to 16') with a longer handle assembly.

Switch rods for most are just small Spey rods, being mostly 11' or shorter (10'6" to 11'+) with a shorter handle length. Switch rods can be cast Spey style or conventional single handed style. They are just light and fun small Spey rods for two handed casters.

The trend in the past 10 years for two handed fishing in the Northwest United States has been to smaller, lighter, shorter rods. 10 to 20 years ago the standard Spey rod was 14' #9 in 3pc. Today I would say the average or middle size would be the 13'+ #7 line Spey in 4 pc.

'Skagit Commando' Mike McCune says he uses a 12'6" #6 Line Spey rod for most of his Skagit style fishing for Steelhead unless he goes to a really big river. He likes the Switch rods too. He feels that all you need is a big enough rod and line to get the fly to the fish comfortably.

Terry Thomas
12-08-2008, 12:57 PM
I know of several anglers that have gone to switch rods to fish the Trinity. Switch rods are enjoyable to cast and have versatility. Rods in the 6/7 or 7/8 range should serve you well on the Trinity and Klamath.
T.

Rick J
12-08-2008, 01:23 PM
Not sure if you plan to fish the Klamath much in the winter or more in the fall and the Trinity in the fall and winter but I think a switch would do you well especailly if you plan to indi fish.

I converted three of my old Fisher 10' rods to switches this summer and used them almost exclusively on the Klamath this year and they were a kick. I would probably shoot for a switch at least 11' for a more all around rod and likely not go over a 7 wt.

Jeff Putnam
12-08-2008, 02:26 PM
This might help with the decision...jp

http://jpflyfishing.com/video/index.htm

easymends
12-08-2008, 07:20 PM
I think you will find for most applications, a switch rod is the best all around tool for Northern California. That being said, a rod is only as good as the line you put on it. Without the proper line and leader setup, you wont be able to full utilize the rod and casting will be difficult.

Also, put the bulk of your purchase towards the reel. A reel is so much more important than having a major brand name on a rod. A TFO rod in my opinion is a great rod, great warranty and half the price of many higher end manufacturers. I am also a big fan of Echo rods.

Jasonh
12-08-2008, 08:28 PM
If you are looking for a true spey rod for the Trinity and Klamath I would suggest something in the 12'6" range and 6 weight. It will be enough to land a good sized Trinity steelhead and still fun enough to fight half pounders on the Klamath. Sage Z-Axis 6126 and Beulah's new 6126 are two of my favorites.

If you want a rod to both swing and nymph with than I would suggest a switch rod. Beulah, Sage, TFO, Redington, and Echo all make great switch rods at different price points.

Jason Hartwick

Terry Thomas
12-09-2008, 09:46 AM
EasyMends...interesting comments. I'll go along with the line being the "key" to any two handed rod set up. However, I sure can't buy into the comment on using the bulk of someone's $$$ on a reel. To me, the reel is the last place you want to spend the big bucks...assuming an angler is on a budget. Find a fly shop with as many two hand rods as possible. Check them all out and see what fits your budget. Find the correct line for your chosen rod and then, lastly, find a reel that will fit the line that you have chosen.

Rick J
12-09-2008, 01:04 PM
I agree with Terry on the reel thing. You don't need a high powered drag for steelhead - I have caught alot on a click and pawl. That being said if you fish coastal rivers and may be in tide water, make sure that the reel is corrosion resistant. I had a friend use his cfo down in tide water out of Eureka and destroyed it in a couple of months!

Don Powell
12-09-2008, 08:29 PM
I am very serious...one is not superior to the other for all facets of "fishing".

A 6 wt switch rod = an 8 wt single handed rod which is indispensible for 1) swinging flies in tight spots where little backcast or D-loop is possible(use a 20-23' head and 9-11' T-8 or T-10 tips) and 2) indicating the hell out of the Klamath or Trinity when conditions call for it- (use a Rio Atlantic Salmon/Steelhead WF8F); a 5 or 6 wt 12'6" spey rod gives plenty of thrills where you have room to form a bigger D-loop and throw longer casts, i.e., gravel bars...grease line a CND GPS 5/6 or "Skagit" the pockets and runs with a 350 grain head and tips of T-8 or T-10 in 8' to 15' lengths.

Before the recent switch rod-mania and plethora of manufactruers offering similar products, I called Bob Meiser and told him what I was looking for...a rod or rods to fish these California gems. Bob built an S2H106 System 6 and S2H1264/5/6 Highlander "Trouter" which I have so much fun with, it should be illegal. I have caught 15-20# chum salmon on the shorter more stout switch rod as well as American River half pounders and American River half pounders on the 5 wt spey swinging nymphs and enjoyed it all because this wt designation is perfect for these fish.

There are so many products and price points available now, you should go to Kiene's and see exactly which manufacturer suits your needs best...Gary Anderson, TFO (Meiser's price point version), Beulah, Sage, etc.,

But, please do this...try both, you'll end up with one of each and meet all the situations Norcal has to offer...

My $0.02,

Don

burl51
12-09-2008, 10:38 PM
I also have a S2H1264/5/6 Highlander "Trouter" that Bob Meiser built for me. I handles 8 to 10 lb steelhead and is a gas on the half pounders too. I also have a meiser System 2 switcher it is really a stout standard 5 wt or light 6 wt. Caught quite a few Feather River 2-6 lb steelhead on it. Bob's rod are a little on the high side but well worth it. I really like Beluah elixer lines for swinging, and the Beluah river extra for nymphing on my switcher. Hope this helps. Spend money on the rod and a matching line. The reels need a good drag system and need to be large enough to hold the over size spey lines. Get one of each then no conflict, except which one to fish.

tight lines Burl

Grampa Spey
12-28-2008, 08:24 AM
I was thinking that I could get expert advice from the speyrod experts on the board, about which rod to get for steelhead fishing. I have read many posts about both kinds of rods, but I still can't figure which rod would be best for the Klamath-Trinity Rivers. Also, which reels have you matched with your rods.
I swing most of the time, but will nymph in the winter when the water turns cold.
I thank you in advance for your input(s).

I have Switch Rods and Spey Rods. They each have their own place/niche.

As Gary Anderson noted in Jeff Putnam's excellent video ( http://jpflyfishing.com/video/index.htm ), the new standard length for Switch Rods is 11 foot.

Simon Gawesworth and other old Sod Speyers have noted to have true Spey Rod Action, your rod should be 12' long. Probably for most of us the minimal and optimal length is 12' 6".

The ultimate meat stick/switch rod on the Trinity and other small California Streams may be the Sage Z7110 Switch rod. It can be used in drift boats and wading with or without indicators. Rio's Steelhead 9/10 one handed line is an excellent line for the Sage Z7110. You can really put the stick to the steelhead with this rod and get them in fast for a quick release.

As Jason noted, one of the best all around Spey Rods for our waters may be the Z6126-4.

The Z6126-4 works very well with the Rio AFS 6/7 Head or the Rio Skagit 550 head or full line. It is a rod that even a banged up 70 year old can cast all day without inflicting more damage to old shoulders and rotator cuffs. The rod is not a toy. In the hands of good casters at the last Speyorama, 100' casts into the next casting pond was no problem. One day Doug Duncan and two of his long casting amigos on the American after a few warmup casts, were casting my Z7136 with the AFS 6/7 head and 15' Rio Spey leaders well over 100' with a size 4 weighted steelhead fly. Skagit casts with the 550 Skagit and 7-12' Versi Sinking leaders and size 4 flies from 40 to 80' are easy and basically effortless.

As noted by a few repliers, if you can afford it go for a Switch and a Spey Rod.

For those of us unable to make this decision, Gary Anderson finishes a combo Z7110 and Z7136. You add one section to the Z7110-4 and ShaZam it becomes a Z7136-5. The only problem I have with the Z7136-5, is that it is too much of a rod for trout/Steelhead under 5-6 pounds. With the Skagit 650, it becomes a wind busting and distance casting machine for Shad out there beyond the wind in your face.