PDA

View Full Version : Striper Piper on the Delta 12/06

Mrs.Finsallaround
12-07-2008, 12:16 PM
Well, of course, Paul and I were out on the delta yesterday....:roll: Ha Ha Ha

But, boy, was it a cold one yesterday! Thick fog most of the morning and into the afternoon. The sun tried to peek out for an hour or so about mid-afternoon, and then it was foggy the rest of the day too.

Fellow GBF member, Mel Odemar, joined us this time, and did pretty well for only his 2nd time out on the delta in two years. He managed to pick up his first LMB on a fly rod, several dinks and one keeper stripe, all sub-surface. I think he was using a fly he picked up at a shop, not sure what it was.

My morning was REALLY slow, although I did pick-up a good top-water bite, but missed it. Mel caught it just seconds later sub-surface, LOL. I finally picked up a dink and a couple 4 lb'ers mid-afternoon. Whew! I was getting a little worried there for a bit, and VERY frustrated...:eek: LOL. I'm getting pretty used to catching fish!:unibrow: What I did catch was on Paul's super minnow (aka the Eganator) in a shad minnow color.

All in all, it was a pretty good day for the cold weather we had... I don't think it got over 55 degrees, and the water was almost the same temp!

JerryInLodi
12-07-2008, 05:01 PM
Robin, I was out today and the water temperatures were 52 at the warmest spots and down to 49 in others. That is COLD water and the fish were sometimes hot and other times came in like wet socks.

The continued cold water will act like a light switch and pretty soon things will slow down to a crawl with the fish getting lockjaw most of the time.

A couple more outings and then I think I'll take a few trips to the American and fish while my wife works at Mills Middle School.

Looking forward to an early and wet spring.