PDA

View Full Version : New Section

Jay Murakoshi
12-01-2008, 06:31 AM
For those of you who are interested, I have just added a "New Section" to my web site. It's called "Fly Tyer's Corner". In the future, I hope to have a wide variety of flies listed.
I would appreciate you viewing the new section and send me via email so suggestions on how to improve it. I would like your comments, especially the black background.... Is it too hard to read, the tying instructions - can you read and understand them, etc...

Hope you enjoy the new section and if you have a fly to submit, feel free to email me and let's discuss it

Jay

PS.... www.fliesunlimited.com

Jay Murakoshi
12-01-2008, 07:32 AM
Anyone having problems clicking on the page.... On my desk top, I can open up the page but on my lap top, I can't get any of the links to highlite... Pretty strange

Once again, my great computer skills are showing

Jay

Scott V
12-01-2008, 09:08 AM
The page opened up great on my Windows XP system. I can see everything very clearly. If I were to change anything it would be to have the write up on the fly at the beginning a little bigger font size. Other than that it looks real good.

Jay Murakoshi
12-01-2008, 09:27 AM
I'm thinking about taking out the history of the fly. As I read it, it could of been written a little different.... I'm not a writer or a computer guru

Jay

Bob Laskodi
12-01-2008, 09:27 AM
On my PC running M$ Windoze and Mozilla Firefox, your website worked perfectly. But I do have one question; is the wig hair grey or white? Looks grey in the pics but I can't tell for sure!

Jay Murakoshi
12-01-2008, 09:50 AM
The wig hair is gray, kinda like my hair. Matter of fact it's a perfect match. It a light gray/salt and pepper.

Jay

mikenewman
12-01-2008, 09:55 AM
Can't highlight the links on my Mac!

Jay Murakoshi
12-01-2008, 10:06 AM
Do you have a lap top or desk top Mac... I've had 4 other emails saying they can highlite the hyperlinks on their lap top mac's... It works on my Macpro desk top... somethings weird

Jay

epzamora
12-01-2008, 10:34 AM
i'm using a mac powerbook laptop and the links do NOT work using safari 3.1.2. trying it with mozilla firefox 3.0.4 with the laptop the links work fine.

eric
fresno, ca.

mikenewman
12-01-2008, 10:39 AM
Jay

I'm running Safari 3.2 on a Mac desktop.

Mike

Darian
12-01-2008, 12:20 PM
Jay,.... I'm unable to highlight/select any of the buttons on your website. Prior to adding the "new section", I was able to highlight/select all of the buttons. I'm running "Safari" on a MacBookPro (laptop).... :confused:

Jay Murakoshi
12-01-2008, 02:01 PM
I'm sitting here pulling out my hair. I can't figure out why some are able to get in and some can't. The hyper links work when I bring up the main frame in iWeb, the hyperlinks work and when I transfer all the files, it works but when check on my laptop, no hyperlinks work

Oh well, back to the drawing board, opps I meant the key board

Jau

epzamora
12-01-2008, 11:45 PM
i just checked again and the links work fine in my safari. the only thing i did differently was shutdown and later start up the computer so i imagine you changed something.

the black background is a bit tough to read. especially with the bold font you used for the fly's recipe. try just normal font, not bold.

and for the formatting of the recipe, it looks like you're using the space bar to create space between the object and the material used. it's best to use tabs.

as for the history, interesting feature but way too small as it is for me compared to the rest of the type on the page.

also, you're mixing serif and san serif typefaces in a way that is somewhat discombobulating, at least for me. i might suggest writing "History" in san serif, then the paragraphs in serif like you did, just slightly bigger.

body parts and material, san serif. captions for photos, san serif.

i know it's "boring" but maybe a white background would work fine. black text.

nevermind. i just checked out all of the pages. on revisits, the home page's links are dead again. but going back a few pages to the home again, the home page's links work once more. it appears you have an inconsistency or continuity problem with coding. perhaps you should create style sheets if that feature exists for you so all pages look and work the same. which brings me back to my suggestion about a white background.

your home page has a cool style which says "jay's web site," something i think most people here would recognize quickly (a form of branding), but the other pages are quite a departure in design. the fly tier's page banner is even more so. the design style just goes backwards from the cool modern look of the home page. to maintain cohesiveness, so people KNOW instantly without reading text another page they visit is a continuation of your site, make the other pages similar in design, the black sides, the cool yellow background for text. it resembles a hodge podge assembly of pages by different people as it is. many would not care, but for those that do, why alienate them, capitalize on an opportunity, make it scream THIS IS JAY and and his FLIES UNLIMITED COMPANY. just an idea. and hopefully you take it just as simple constructive criticism.

eric
fresno, ca.

Jay Murakoshi
12-02-2008, 08:06 AM
Hey Eric,

So you're in Fresno.... and it's sounds like you know a little about computers, etc....

I had to read and reread the post but finally figured it out. Like I mentioned, I'm not a computer guru or a designer but I plan on making changes just as soon as I find time - maybe when I rerretire.

I did use the space bar on the materials list but I thought about using the tab key

Anyway, first things first. I need to get the homepage menu back up and running. Can't figure out what the heck I did but now I'm back tracking. Been up most of the night trying to figure this thing out

Thanks for the comments

Jay

Jay Murakoshi
12-02-2008, 08:01 PM
OK, I need a couple of you patience people out there to do me a BIG favor....
For those of you who couldn't get my site to work, I would like you to try it now...

I got the menu section (hyper links) to work BUUUUUUT it was a hit and miss thing.
I took the arrow over to the FlyTyer's Corner and clicked on it but it didn't work. But when I sort of swirled the arrow around on the hyper link, it highlited in red and open.

You will see an new updated Fly Tyer's Corner. On the advice from Eric of Fresno, I made a couple changes

This will be the last time I BUG you people - I PROMISE at least for tonight

Thanks a million

Jay

erhetta
12-02-2008, 09:21 PM
I am using Google Chrome browser and can see your site just fine; homepage at least. None of the links at the top work though.

The Star for the discount on the DVD is huge and blocks reading about the DVD.

The baja trips link worked at the bottom.

Darian
12-02-2008, 09:28 PM
Jay,.... I was able to highlight the buttons using the "swirl" technique you described. However, I find this problematic as I'm not quick enough to consistently open the pages I want. I did make it into the Fly Tyers page and found that I could go to any of the other pages on the website from there. Went back to the home page and back to the "swirl".... :confused:

The changes you made were very good. I like the background change on the Fly Tyers page. :D

Hope the local Starbucks stays open for you. :unibrow:

FlyFlogger
12-02-2008, 10:32 PM
Jay,
I'm also running a mac with several different browsers. On your home page, using Safari, the menu links are very hard to highlight. They do, but it's a very narrow horizontal area that works. When I switch to Firefox, they work fine. When I use Netscape, there is no visible menu at all. When I use Opera, the area that highlites is actually above the text for the link, and very narrow like the Safari browser did. I can't try it on a PC to see what happens, I wish I could.

I may be way off here, but being a webmaster myself, it looks like the menu system you use may have some compatibility issues with it. It looks like you use a javascript menu system, utilizing widgets commonly used within dreamweaver. I usually use css menu's. They aren't as nice as other java or flash menu scripts, but css menu's are pretty cross platform and browser compatible. Just a thought...
Perry

mikenewman
12-02-2008, 11:21 PM
If I place the cursor just under the link text I, er, get:

http://www.apple.com/startpage/

??????????

Best of luck

Mike

Jay Murakoshi
12-03-2008, 09:16 AM
Thanks for the comments,

I made the star big so it would stand out and people would see that the DVD is now on sale.

Darian,

I'm with you, moving the cursor makes me curse and say "nasty" things. Eventually I'll get the problem resolved

Perry,

Like I said, I'm no computer guru. OK, I have no idea on which browser I have or using.
When I first created the site, everything worked fine even making changes. Then I add the new section and it blew it all to he!!.
Some times when I'm transfering files, the process stops and a error comes up, something like "the file is empty"
How do you create css menu's or is that something built into the program

I might hire a web master to work on this so it gets up and running or maybe take a few
one to one classes on iWeb.... I know it can't be that hard - RIGHT?

Jay

k.hanley
12-03-2008, 09:28 AM
I'm on a PC workstation (not using a laptop). I accessed your site with Internet Explorer. Clicked on the Fly Tyer's hotlink, and like Mike Newman I got this page...........
http://www.apple.com/startpage/

Hire a pro webmaster to fix the problems. It's worth the investment.

See ya at the airport bud.
Cheers, K

Darian
12-03-2008, 12:37 PM
OK,.... Today I'm able to reach the home page but the buttons aren't displayed at all. I tried using Safari and Firefox. Same condition on either browser. :confused:

I like Ken's suggestion to hire a web designer to finish up.... :cool:

Jay Murakoshi
12-03-2008, 05:37 PM
Wow, I'm sitting here in a hotel in San Jose and using there WiFi connection and my site has all the changes and now works. Maybe it was the car ride I gave the computer.
But I'm still going to work with a computer wiz that knows how to create web sites. I have a one to one scheduled for next week and my person is a web designer. Maybe I might learn what key to press :-)

Snowing in Chicago

Jay

FlyFlogger
12-03-2008, 08:54 PM
Jay,
If you're going to meet with a web designer, he/she will be able to point to to a good menu system, or at least be willing to make a few templates for you so you can just change the content of pages. I use Dreamweaver to create the websites and the css files that include the menu details and the rest of the website layout.

In your situation, Ken may have been more right on more than off about hiring someone. If you're not looking for a website with all the bells and whistles, you could probably get a basic one done fairly inexpensive. Since you use your website for booking trips, selling flies and such, problems could potentially cost you business. These days with the internet, your website could very well be someones first impression of you and your business, so why not make it a good one :) ...Just a thought
Perry