PDA

View Full Version : Putah Creek and Lower Sac Reports

RJSFLYTRIP
11-25-2008, 12:50 PM
I had the opportunity to guide both Putah Creek and the Lower Sac twice this week. All I can say is that Putah Creek is starting to fish really tough. Putah is flowing between 40-50 cfs and it is hard to find water that has enough depth and current to hold lots of fish. It seems as though you can find a random fish here and there but not multiple fish in single spots. Most days it seems as though a guys can hook between 4-6 rainbows in about 5 hours of fishing. You really have to put your time in and focus on the deeper slots. It has been cool to hook some larger fish on the creek. This week clients of mine hooked two different fish that were between 20-24''. The hot bugs have been black/red zebra midges (18), biot baetis (18), Hogans S&M (18), flashback pheasant tails (20).

The Lower Sac continues to fish well below Red Bluff. The trout fishing has been consistent with about 20 rainbows being boated on a daily basis. We are seeing some big steelhead continuing to move through the system. The Lower Sac steelhead are some of the most pissed off big fish in all of Northern California. I wish all steelhead acted like those on the Sac. The hot bugs on the Lower Sac have been Rubberlegs, Red Copper Johns, Tan Birds Nest, and Hogans S&M.

If you are interested I will take $100 off anyone who is interested in booking Sunday, November 30 for a day on the Lower Sac or Feather River.

Tight Lines!

Skunked again
11-25-2008, 04:47 PM
I haven't been fishing Putah as much this year as last (probably healthier for me and the fish), but it's definitely been tough the few afternoon's I've been out. As you mention you can pick up a few fish here and there, but the concentrations have just been hard to find, and the number of big fish seems lower.

Last year I had the creek pretty dialed in at low flow. There were some slots and holes that would typically produce a couple of fish, given enough time and drifts, but this year most of them are either baron or only produce one fish.

I've also caught some small fish (~12") that were ready to spawn. I have not noticed this in the past. I worry that with the increased thrashing of the reds and spawning fish by fisherman during recent years may be selecting for smaller fish.

Maybe nothing is going on though. It's a creek that definitely takes some time, and my Putah Creek juju may be off, because I haven't been hitting it ~3 times/week like I was last year at this time.

JT
11-26-2008, 10:36 AM
I agree that you have to work more for your fish right now on Putah, but the fish are there.