PDA

View Full Version : Fly Fishing Near Bend OR

Cmcculloch
11-23-2008, 11:39 PM
I'm heading to the Bend area for Thanksgiving and would like some tips on places to fish. The Deschutes River goes through town, but I may have to get out of town aways for better fishing. I'll be wading and may take my brother who is new to the sport. So it would be nice if we could catch a steelie or two. Any advice on locations and flies would be appreciated.

Craig
cmcculloch at jps.net

loganmike
11-23-2008, 11:44 PM
Craig,
The weather has been pretty bad up there. Still water would be the best bet for trout for a newbie. As far as taking him steelheading, if he is patient, does not expect to catch fish and realizes how lucky he is if he does catch one, then head to the D. But be advised, it is not like steelheading in the feather or american, it is a BIG river, with deep and fast water. I would recommend maybe hitting the crooked river or the fall river. If its scenery you want, head to the metolious; all are relatively close.

OR Head to the D for trout, during steelhead time, the trout fishing is usually great.

Might be worth getting a guide.

me

jbird
11-24-2008, 08:21 AM
Get a synopsis for the area. Unless things have changed since I lived in Bend, the deschutes is closed in close proximity to town. Very few lakes are open. (They adhere to trout season) The Metolius can be fantastic this time of year, same with the crooked. Central oregon has highly educated trout as it is very popular as a flyfishing destination.

There is abook out on flyfishing central oregon that is invaluable. You might check amazon.com

Jay

Bill Kiene semi-retired
11-24-2008, 10:13 AM
Google and then call or email the "Patient Angler Fly Shop" in Bend.

shawn kempkes
11-24-2008, 10:14 AM
if you want to catch steelies it is about an hour and a half drive to from bend to fish for them. Drive to maupin and fish above and below town there is literally tons of water to fish.
Contact deschutes angler for a report.

i

shawn kempkes
11-24-2008, 10:17 AM
Craig,
The weather has been pretty bad up there. Still water would be the best bet for trout for a newbie. As far as taking him steelheading, if he is patient, does not expect to catch fish and realizes how lucky he is if he does catch one, then head to the D. But be advised, it is not like steelheading in the feather or american, it is a BIG river, with deep and fast water. I would recommend maybe hitting the crooked river or the fall river. If its scenery you want, head to the metolious; all are relatively close.

OR Head to the D for trout, during steelhead time, the trout fishing is usually great.

Might be worth getting a guide.

me
There was a fire on the fall last year and a air tanker dumped fire retardent in the river and it has not been the same since than. The crooked is also a mere shadow of its former self
mostly whitefish.

Cmcculloch
11-25-2008, 03:37 PM
Thanks to all for the information!

Craig