PDA

View Full Version : 5 weight line suggestions

Scott V
11-20-2008, 03:50 PM
I finally got my hands on a 5 weight rod and reel with extra spool:D. What type of line is good to use, I was planning on a floating/intermediate tip line, but what would you suggest for getting a little deeper for trout and bass. What would be my best (2) line types to get?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Most of my fishing will be at places like Fuller, Seco, Red Lake, and any other smaller type lakes, I will be on a pontoon if that makes any difference in ideas.

SHigSpeed
11-20-2008, 05:38 PM
I fling 5 wt rods for trout in those types of water and I currently use a Scientific Angler Wet Cel Type IV for anything 15 ft or deeper (deeper holes in Fuller, Heenan, etc) and a Cortland Clear Camo intermediate for the top 10 feet. I adjust count and strip rates for anything in between...

Sometimes I wish I had Type II or III for the 'tween depths, but I make do with the I and IV.

I do have an SA WC Type I but I didn't like the way it casted. The Cortland Inter that I have, also, is a 6 wt, and that casts great on my 5 wt rod. Haven't tried a matching line. The matching 5 wt WC Type IV casts great as well - no complaints.

Hope this helps.

_SHig

BTW, I'd recommend getting a second rod instead of the two spool deal. I always have two rods set up, be it both sink rates or a sinker and a floater. For lakes where the depth isn't always constant or where the fish are either right on top or hugging the bottom (Fuller this weekend) it's nice to be ready to go!

fishinjohnny
11-20-2008, 08:40 PM
Check out Rio's new nymph wait forward floating line. I just picked one up due to a reccomendation from Bob at Sierra Anglers in Modesto. It is supposed to cast your heavier weighted nymph rig's alot better because they put a heavier head on it. I'm just suggested that you check it out though. I haven't had the chance to test it yet. I also agree with the last post about two rods. I always used one rod with two reels for the longest time. It really gets to be a pain switching spools in a float tube or pontoon. john

Scott V
11-21-2008, 09:37 AM
Shig,
I plan on getting an extra 5 weight rod and reel when I get a chance, but I got lucky to be able to get what I got this time. Hopefully I can come across another killer deal like I did. So in the mean time I am stuck with (1) 5 weight, I can always use one of my 7 weights which I have been doing but it is too much rod for these fish and my 3 weight is too little.

Have you ever used a floating/sinking line, I have heard that the floating section helps you to see those light bites when you can't feel them.

Pete
11-21-2008, 10:24 AM
Hi Scott -

I fish many of the same places you do. With my 5 weight, I fish a Rio Gold and a Cortland 444 clear camo. I really like the Rio line. These two lines have worked for me. Happy shopping.

Pete

Flycanoe
11-21-2008, 10:24 AM
I use a 5wt and have 2 lines for it on different spools, floating (Sharkskin trout) and intermediate lines (RIO Lake).This covers surface and just below. To get deeper or cover more specialized situations, this is what I do. I get 30' of T-8 and cut into 2 sections, 6' and 24' and add braided loops on the end of each. Now I have both a sink tip and a sink head for either line. I put the sinktip on the float line to fish a shallow ledge or the intermediate for a deeper ledge. I put the sink head on the floater to fish moderately deep and on the intermediate to fish very deep.

BTW, these tips also work great for rivers with a floating line for deep pools or swinging.

Mike Churchill
11-21-2008, 01:48 PM
Scott,

When lake fishing, I usually carry a 5-weight with a floater and another with a multi-tip line that I can use to fish different parts of the water column by changing tips. I usually start with either the Type VI or intermediate and switch from there if necessary.

Used to have a Rio Versatip that I liked a lot. (It's been on the bottom of Lake Amador for the last 2 years-- a story I think I've told you.)

I think my current one is a Scientific Anglers multi-tip line which I don't like quite as much because the loop to loop connection is bigger and catches in the line guides.

I've paid about $120 for each multi-tip but that's a lot cheaper than extra spools and lines to get the versatility.

Mike

Scott V
11-24-2008, 10:21 AM
Thanks to everyone for the information. With my first line I will go with an internediate line. Then once I have saved up some money I will get another rod and reel with sinking line.

Flycanoe I like your idea of the T8, I will probably give that a try also.