PDA

View Full Version : Winter tactics in mountain streams

jburge
11-20-2008, 10:47 AM
I'm officially approaching my first winter as a fly fisherman (just started in August) and love getting up in the hills to work the small canyon rivers, streams, and creeks. For all you knowledgeable pros... any suggestions as to change of tactics in the winter? I've been pretty much a dry fly guy (tried nymphing only a couple of times), but am willing to learn and experiment as much as possible. Thanks ahead for the help!

Phil Synhorst
11-20-2008, 11:09 AM
Check the regs. on the streams you plan to fish.
You'll probably end up nymphing, but with this warmer weather you may get lucky with drys.

easymends
11-20-2008, 12:03 PM
I think you will find when the water gets colder fish don't move as much for flies, I like to go to a longer leader and make sure my flies "tumble" along the bottom. If you aren't losing a few flies you aren't fishing the right water.

One thing I really use a lot more in the winter is straight tippet for my leader, avoid using a tapered leader because the flies don't sink as quickly as they should with the thick top section of a store bought leader. Just use 3X flouro or even 6 pound Maxima. You want the flies to sink quickly and stay in the zone longer.

Also, smaller flies are key, Midges, Baetis, smaller stones.

PatrickM
11-20-2008, 02:23 PM
JBurge,
A couple of other things that might help:
When the water gets cold, the fish move into slower water. Forget about fishing the riffles and faster water and concentrate on areas that are slower and have some depth.
As the bugs are generally smaller in the winter (midges and bwo's) try dropping the size of your tippet. Like easymends, I only use straight tippet material and not tapered leaders for nymphing, but I fish mainly 5x and 6x. I think this helps to get the flies down and get a more natural drift with the smaller flies.
Finally, the takes in colder water are very subtle. If you're nymphing with an indicator, set up on ANY twitch, hesitation, etc. If you're waiting for the indicator to plunge under, you're missing fish.
Hope that helps, and good luck.

Mik
11-20-2008, 02:27 PM
I would just be mindful about what is going on around you. Go shake a bush next to the water or pick up some rocks. Look for signs of food. See if anything is flying around. Like Phil said, warmer days might lend itself to some dry flies, don't be afraid to nymph. I get more hooks up on nymphs than dries. You just have to make sure it gets down in front of their nose. They don't move much in the cold water. Good luck!

jburge
11-20-2008, 06:14 PM
Awesome guys, thanks! I'm taking copious notes and I'll let you know how I do.

Craig Nielsen
12-02-2008, 11:38 PM
JBurge:
Here is a link to an article I wrote on winter fishing on the Upper Sac first published in California Flyfisher. Hopefully it has some information you will find useful. I have been very surprised that the river has fished much differently than I expected, particularly with the dry fly bite. Drop a line and let me know your thoughts.
A warning. The guide's credo: Often wrong but seldom in doubt ;>)
http://www.shastatrout.com/blog/winter-on-the-uppersac/