PDA

View Full Version : Another Forebay Trip

Jay Murakoshi
11-19-2008, 12:01 AM
With the price of gas at $1.99 a gallon, heck I can go every day, well not quite
Got to the water at 6am and was in the water within 5 minutes. Fished the flats by Hwy 152 only two get a couple of rises then headed to the island/power lines. There I got into a GOOD fish. The fly fell out of the mouth as soon as I grabbed the leader. I estimate the fish to be 10 to 12 pounds. Boy I thought it was going to be a barn burner day. For the next hour, I circled the island like indians circleing covered wagons. Got tired of that and headed to the buoys and fished up going towards check 13. Then I went inside and got 3 LMB on TW. Nothing big. From there I headed across the Forebay to a cove just off the main channel. Picked up a few fish in there before I had company. Left there and headed back to the flats with no fish. So for the morning, I had a total of 6 fish. Not bad I guess, cause I was talking to a few other guys who were out there and they had the big "0".
Packed up the pram and was going to come home around 1:30 but stopped and took a look at the flats of the Mederios ramp. Looked like I saw a few swirls in the shallows, the pram was off the truck and in the water with the battery, trolling motor, 6 rods and my video camera within 3 minutes. Got out there and nothing, nothing, nothing. I was ready to bag it when OPPS, was that a grab? Made another cast and Fish On! A small one about 2 pounds. Then at 4:00 the bite started. Too make a long story short, I ended up with 6 stripers all weighing (boga'd) around 4 to 6 pounds. Then it was time to get off the lake, what a bummer. I wish they would change the fishing time regulations.

Not a HOT fishing day but not a bad one either.

Let's see a dozen fish, around 10 hours on the water and 2,000 casts. Can't figure what the comes out to be percentage wise.... Maybe I don't want to know

Time for bed, another early day on the water tomorrow morning

Jay

Notch
11-19-2008, 12:45 PM
Thanks for the report! I was considering fishing O'neil tommorow but am kinda thinking twice after getting beat down on the lake a few weeks ago. Have any advice for a newbie to the lake? I have a 15ft. boat with a 25 hp motor that can cover the lake well, and a bow mounted trolling motor, but no fish finder. Last time I picked up a couple looking for rises and fishing the current coming in from across the launch. Any advice will help,thanks.

ps - Nice talk at the Santa Cruz club meeting a few weeks back. I took your advice on reading the beach and brushed off the surf perch skunk a few days later.

-Jeremy Notch