PDA

View Full Version : Say 'Hello' & from where?

Bill Kiene semi-retired
11-17-2008, 10:22 AM
We always love to see where people are surfing/posting from, especially a long ways away.

We all know I am in Davis (live) and Sacramento (fly shop) so that's not a big deal.

Where are you coming from...?

oldtrout
11-17-2008, 10:32 AM
Yesterday I was at a certain fly shop on Marconi in Sac.
Picked up a few items for the fly tying material bin at home plus some half price Targus hooks I couldn't pass on.

My 1st time in that particular shop. Nice selection and a helpful staff.

Today I'm posting from San Francisco, live in Oakland.

paulegan81
11-17-2008, 11:50 AM
Hello all
I am always coming from or going to
"THE CALIFORNIA DELTA"
some times I sleep in Carmichael

Paul
Tight lines to all
and to all a good FIGHT!!!

Grateful Trout
11-17-2008, 02:12 PM
I lurk from up in Pollock Pines. Wish I could get down to the store more often. Spent this past summer completing the California Heritage Trout Challenge. I highly recommend the experience to all. Take it easy, Scott

bonneville54
11-17-2008, 03:11 PM
Hey there...

I live and work in Grass Valley, CA. About halfway between Grass Valley and Colfax and.....just 20 minutes from The Lower Yuba!

Jay Murakoshi
11-17-2008, 03:44 PM
Hello from behind my tying vise and Mac. Working on filling orders and getting some information together for this weekends get together for the Baja group

I live in Fresno and at O'Neill Forebay

Jay

jayclarkflyfishing
11-17-2008, 06:10 PM
Hello from the Sierra Valley where I live(Loyalton) and work(Lake Davis Guide).Thank you Bill for a great forum!

Jay Clark

Jeff Morrison
11-17-2008, 08:30 PM
Hey Bill,
What a great question for the forum!
I am keeping in touch all the way from Jenks/Tulsa, Oklahoma!
Boomer Sooner!

Black Cloud
11-17-2008, 10:55 PM
Hello there,
I live in Benicia and work in the bay area. When not fishing I'm carving fish. Thanks Bill for letting me display at your shop.

James

Scott V
11-18-2008, 11:19 AM
Hi,
I am Scott and during the day I am in Rancho Cordova sitting at a computer all day drawing buildings, but in the evening I enjoy life in El Dorado Hills.

Mrs.Finsallaround
11-18-2008, 11:19 AM
I am always coming from or going to
"THE CALIFORNIA DELTA"
some times I sleep in Carmichael

Paul
Tight lines to all
and to all a good FIGHT!!!

I'm with him! :cool:

caltagm
11-18-2008, 12:03 PM
Living the good life in Reno NV both day and night (although many evenings are on the Truckee).

Mike

PatrickM
11-18-2008, 12:36 PM
Comming at ya from Denver, CO.
Started posting here when I lived in California. Still check the board every day.

Adam Grace
11-18-2008, 01:26 PM
I'm in the fun college town of Chico,CA where hot young co-eds are everywhere!

East Bay Ed
11-18-2008, 01:34 PM
Hello,
East Bay Ed from Oakland. Fly tier and fly fisherman for 50 years plus. Retired. A lot of my fishing is now done from my computer checking fishing reports.

Ffdoc
11-18-2008, 01:57 PM
Hi to all,

Live in lake of the pines and work in Auburn. Bass off my backyard dock and trout in multiple nearby rivers and creeks.

FFdoc

RobK.
11-18-2008, 05:43 PM
N. Utah , Cache Valley !!

Elk , Mule deer , moose ,and Duck hunting and the Logan river , Blacksmith fork river , Summit creek , High creek , Rock creek ,Little Bear , Spawn creek and Temple fork all within a 1/2 hr drive .

Died and gone to Heaven !!

RobK.

El Rey
11-18-2008, 07:06 PM
Local guy here in Carmichael. Less than 2 miles from the shop. Lots of good fishing within 2 hrs of home. Retirement is Good!

Harlan, aka El Rey

alaskanfish
11-18-2008, 08:06 PM
It's so cold here in Alaska that the water is mostly all hard! With the majority of fishing over for the season here on the Kenai Peninsula (except for ice fishing; of course), I get to spend a bunch of time lurking...

Just because you don't hear from me doesn't mean that I am not here....

I enjoy (I think) reading about catching and fishing and think that it is only 6 months to salmon season.

Cheers

Garrett S
11-18-2008, 08:43 PM
I live in Carmichael and go to school in Sacramento

Hairstacker
11-18-2008, 11:15 PM
Hi! Mike from Tracy, California here. With the Delta sooo close, that's usually where I'm fishin'.\\:D/ I know, it's rough. :D

koffler
11-19-2008, 12:44 AM
In Folsom, CA with a lot of stops in between. Thanks to Bill and his staff for this solid board and associated contributors-

john
11-19-2008, 08:18 AM
I'm here in Western Wisconsin on the northern edge of the Driftless Area. My heart though is in the salt(which explains why I'm on this BB)

Bill Kiene semi-retired
11-19-2008, 08:27 AM
Hi John

What is the Driftless Area mean?

mems
11-19-2008, 09:51 AM
Aloha, I am in Hilo on the Big Island of Hawaii. I am either casting to papio, trevally off some rocks, or standing in a boat casting to ahi and mahi. Sometimes I go for awa, milkfish. This weekend I will be on Oahu chasing large bonefish.
Bill the driftless area is the south west corner of Wisconsin doncha know, ya hey der der. Mems.

erhetta
11-19-2008, 09:53 AM
I am another Carmichael person.

Defender of people's money by day, fishing whenever I can.

john
11-19-2008, 11:34 AM
Bill: The driftless area stretches from NE Iowa up through SE Mn. and SW WI in the Mississippi River basin and covers about 24,000 acres. It's the land the last continental glaciers missed, resulting in steep rugged landscape. The area is limestone based, covered with 600 coldwater spring creeks, and is the site for TUDARE-Tu's Driftless Area Restoraion Effort. There are 15 TU chapters doing habitat improvement projects on 60+ streams. www.tu.org/site/c.kkLRJ7MSKtH/b.3302703/ If you click on either the Gilbert Creek or Elk Creek projects you'll be within 10 miles of me.

DonCooksey
11-19-2008, 03:03 PM
Hello from California's Inland Empire!

fishinjohnny
11-19-2008, 06:18 PM
Hello, John Roe from Ripon, CA. I live about 1/2 mile from the Lower Stanislaus but still find myself driving to northern California as often as possible. I think I'm an adventure junkie or something.

jim p
11-19-2008, 07:05 PM
Hello all. This is my first post to the Board.

Live and work in Fresno. With the exception of going over the hill to the Mammoth Lakes area, I fish primarily on the upper Merced or any one of the west slope Central Sierra streams. I like to tie flies and build the occasional rod.

Great board you got here. Thanks for hosting.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
11-19-2008, 09:56 PM
Welcome Jim P

Have heard a lot over the years about your area but have not fished it.

We know the guys at Herb Bauer's in Fresno.

Langenbeck
11-19-2008, 10:02 PM
Now a seven year resident of Grants Pass, Oregon where I can fly fish for summer & winter steelhead over 120 days/year and it is less than five mintues to good fishing. Also two hours from the North Fork of the Umpqua, Diamond Lake and Agency/Klamath Lake.

TaylerW
11-20-2008, 12:18 AM
hey there!!
i am currently living in vallejo as i am at the california maritime academy, but i live in cameron park and visit kienes pretty regularly!
u can find me pursuing steelhead on the north coast during the winter, and in the summer i go to chile, panama, costa rica and usually mexico for a total of 2 months!!!
tight lines!

Chris Evison
11-20-2008, 08:59 AM
Hi Everyone- I'm Chris Evison. Live on top of Kingsbury Grade So. side of Lk Tahoe. I guide out of the Reno Flyshop and work the store occasionally. Use the board mainly for striper info. Spend most of my time on East Walker (Nv. side), West Walker, Truckee and Little Truckee. I'd rather striper fish than anything else.

Simo
11-20-2008, 10:03 AM
I live in Sacramento and more specifically in River Park. Only a few hundred feet from the American River but do not spend nearly enough time in the water. I hope to hook a few steelhead this winter. Hope is the key word.

I thoroughly enjoy the posts about members trips into the Sierras with attached pictures. It brings back memories, growing up camping and backpacking, with a fiberglass rod, garcia mitchell reel, and a jar of salmon eggs. I've upgraded to a fly rod but still enjoy those small granite lined streams in the Sierras. Thanks Bill

590Mike
11-20-2008, 11:03 AM
Hey Bill work and llive in Fair Oaks. Seeing some of the other locations of members makes me want to get out my planner and plan some fishing trips.

Scott V
11-20-2008, 11:19 AM
I live in Sacramento and more specifically in River Park. Only a few hundred feet from the American River but do not spend nearly enough time in the water. I hope to hook a few steelhead this winter. Hope is the key word.

I thoroughly enjoy the posts about members trips into the Sierras with attached pictures. It brings back memories, growing up camping and backpacking, with a fiberglass rod, garcia mitchell reel, and a jar of salmon eggs. I've upgraded to a fly rod but still enjoy those small granite lined streams in the Sierras. Thanks Bill

Welcome to the board Simo, and I like you love the small streams in the sierras as you can see by the posts I was making this past season.

Rick J
11-20-2008, 01:12 PM
born and raised in the Philippines - spent summers about every 4 years in the US and had a great uncle who lived on Vacouver Island. Moved to Arcata/Eureka in '68 to attend Humboldt State where I stayed until the mid 90's. Transferred with my company to our Santa Rosa office and now live over in Lake County and commute every day.

But my heart is still up north around the Klamath and up into Oregon- steelhead; or over around Silver Creek (my hands down favorite trout fishery)

jburge
11-20-2008, 02:14 PM
I live in Sacto and work in Rancho Cordova, usually designing databases and web sites. But, in every free moment possible, I like to hit rivers, streams, and creeks in the Sierras. If possible, I'll also mount up and backpack in to Desolation Wilderness, John Muir Wilderness, and Yosemite. I'm still planning on fly-fishing the entire length of the John Muir trail, from Yosemite to Mt. Whitney.

Bruce Slightom
11-20-2008, 05:32 PM
I live out side of Eureka, I have lived in Humboldt County since 1968. I am a refugee from the valley. Born and raised in Yolo County around Woodland. My step father was a Knight from Knights Landing. I did not want to be a farmer! Five generations was enough.
As soon as I got out of high school I moved to the Eureka area to get out of the heat. Have
fished the rivers of the north coast since I moved here.
Thanks Bill for this board. There is not a fly club in the area, so I lurk on this board to get my fix of fishing talk. Bruce

Ty@Landpark
11-20-2008, 05:42 PM
Hello all--
Good to see such a response. I'm Ty from Landpark community here in Sacramento ..aka Ty@Landpark. I'm a 1995 transplant from Redondo Beach CA...did someone say "surfs-up"? :-)

captnorm
11-20-2008, 08:14 PM
Hi all! Spend most of the year in Oakley (California Delta) but right now in Apache Junction, Arizona! Anybody know what fly a Gila Monster will take? Anyway, just built a new fly rod, will be back in the Delta in the second week of December. Leave some stripers for me, please!

Stay healthy and tight lines!

Norm

Darian
11-20-2008, 11:01 PM
Capt Norm,.... Gila Monsters'll take a spanish fly.... :p

I'm a transplant from SoCal (So. Central/beach areas) with a 5 year stopover in the Bay Area. Came up here in 1974. It's taken me many years to acquiesce/admit that I'm a resident of the valley. But it's all good.

Been fishing since I was around 5 years old with my Dad. While in the Bay area and my early years up here, I used to devote all of my time to coastal Salmon and Steelhead.... Now I find that I'm going back to my roots for warm or salt water game fishing with a fly. Trout are occupying less and less of my interest. :confused:

Ty, ever go to Pancho's in Manhattan for dinner, etc. :?: :?:

aaron
11-20-2008, 11:33 PM
I'll bite. Had the good fortune of spending a few years working for Boca Grande. Learned a lot. Currently attending 'college' in Chico. Fishing not so much. Spending more time chasing girls, gearing up for ski season, and doing some volunteer work as well. Still spend plenty of time reading the board and less time trying to cause trouble :D

David Lee
11-20-2008, 11:44 PM
I'm still in sunny Fair Oaks (Eggplants in bloom in late November ?? What the hell ?!?) .

I abuse Stripes (or , I try to ....) thru Winter , and am currently tying for a December Baja trip . Been here since the start of it all ......

Thanks for one of the greatest sites on the web , Bill !!!!!

David

Mike Churchill
11-21-2008, 01:38 PM
Now living in Folsom / working in downtown Sac. I've lived all over those portions of California not north of Sacramento and have fished at least a little bit in almost all of it. Caught the flyfishing bug bad nine years ago while living in San Jose and relocated the family out here three years ago when I decided to change jobs. I figured if I was going to have less vacation time, I'd better be where I could get to the trout a lot quicker!

Thanks to this board and some members who were kind enought to give me boat rides at the October '07 delta trip, I'm now hooked on chasing stripers and LMB in the delta. My parents and aunt just moved to the area and I'm working on getting them into stripers as well.

Since my dad just bought a big boat, life would be damn near perfect if I didn't have to keep doing this job that gets in the way of my fishing....

Mike

westslope
11-21-2008, 02:27 PM
Have been in the Pollock Pines area for almost 30 years with a five year stint at Chico State studying Hydrology/Geology. I now teach science at an outdoor school less than a mile from my house near Jenkinson Lake. Love what the west slope streams have to offer but miss being so close to the Lower Sac, Hat Ck, McCloud, Feather, etc.! Heading out to the South Fork American in the HW50 canyon right now. Happy Friday!

Gilly

gryhackl
11-21-2008, 05:39 PM
Season's Greetings from Stinkin' Lincoln.

Troutstalker55B
11-21-2008, 08:49 PM
a big hello from the base of pennman peak, I live between Portola and Graeagle. I'm the son of Bob Baiocchi FFF Hall of Famer which I care take for - He is still kicken and really going all out for you trout, salmon, and steelhead fisherman, his latest quest is the McCloud and the damgaing aritficial white water flows that happend this fall - he is pissed off. He is hell bent on saving this holy water. I've been flyfishing for 36 years, have guided, and have some inovative fly patterns with Orivs. My favorite still water is Eagle Lake (though I live just 7 miles from Lake Davis), and my favorite river is indeed the McCloud. After all these years of fishing, numbers don't mean a thing anymore - It's all about how I want to catch them - the big dry comes to mind........may a good hunt find you all!

Bill Kiene semi-retired
11-21-2008, 10:32 PM
We know your dad........................he is a 'go-getter'.

Thanks for the update.

MarcP
11-23-2008, 05:54 PM
Hey I'm a new poster from the Redding area and I recently moved here from Portland, MAINE. I hope to contribute some in the future.

Tight Lines!
MarcP

dtp916
11-23-2008, 06:55 PM
CHICO!!!! More eye candy and fish filled streams then I could explore in a lifetime.

The only better fishing center would be Redding, in my opinion.

Gregg Machel
11-23-2008, 07:19 PM
Antelope (just outside of Sacramento), ~10 miles from Kiene's Fly Shop.

Originally from Wausau Wisconsin, moved out here after my time in the Army.

Bob Scheidt
11-23-2008, 08:31 PM
Been in Fresno all my life. Fished the San Luis forebay this weekend. Tough for me.
Work takes me up and down beautiful hwy. 99.
Bob

Mike O
11-24-2008, 11:38 AM
Hello from Woodland, the garden spot of Yolo County, California

Mik
11-24-2008, 04:21 PM
I live down the street from Kiene's off Marconi. According to my wife, I spend way too much time and money in there.

Jet
11-25-2008, 10:14 AM
I'm Joe from Lincoln, CA. Work in Roseville and from home. My son Joey and I are hardcore fisherman and frequent Kiene's fairly often since it is our favorite fly shop. Joey and I will be tying flies at the Sac ISE show in Jan so stop by if you get a chance.

huntindog
11-25-2008, 05:18 PM
I live in Chico, work in Sac, split time between both. Definately prefer Chico. I poach some time on here when I should be working.

Lucky
11-25-2008, 05:28 PM
From Mesa, AZ.

Dave4622
11-25-2008, 06:01 PM
North Highlands , CA checking in here. Gotta love the short drives to some great waters in the central valley and sierra's.

Dave V.

Nip Hadlock
11-26-2008, 09:09 PM
Pleasanton...long drives to groovy water!

mike borba
11-28-2008, 08:55 PM
Which you've probably never heard of. HVL is in Lake County about halfway between Middletown and Clearlake. We have an 100 acre bass lake in the community, which I spend quite a bit of time on in the spring and summer. I make a few trips to the Upper Sac, the Lower Yuba, and NF of the Yuba. i will occasionally disgust myself with Putah Creek. I need to get out more often, but there aren't many fly anglers in my neck of the woods. I'll try to post more often here. Give a shout out if you live nearby. Mike

mako
12-11-2008, 02:05 AM
I think i get the furthest distance away tag...
Newcastle,New South Wales, AUSTRALIA..

Mmmmmmmmmmm summertime...........

Cheers
Jason

Bill Kiene semi-retired
12-11-2008, 08:31 AM
Hi John

The famous Brunette Brothers taxidermist live in Ripon? Years ago they did the best fish mounts around..........

Bill Kiene semi-retired
12-11-2008, 08:35 AM
Hi Mako

We were in southern Australia in Woomera for 3 weeks once visiting our daughter, son-in-law and grand kids while they were there with the USAF.

I wish more of us Yanks on the BB here could visit Australia...........it's a cool place.