PDA

View Full Version : Charitable Contributions...which organization is best?

Jack Brassington
11-16-2008, 11:09 AM
For those of you who have researched the subject I would appreciate your opinion on which organization is providing the greatest benefit to our sport.

Thank You

Mrs.Finsallaround
11-16-2008, 11:12 AM
That would depend on which fishery you are partial to.

My personal pick would be CSPA (California Sportfishing Protection Alliance)...

Darian
11-16-2008, 01:18 PM
Jack,.... In addition to that mentioned by Robin, I would recommend contributing to organizations that acquire land or rights for placement in public trust. Such as Ducks Unlimited or Nature Conservancy.... :grin:

Bryan Morgan
11-16-2008, 02:21 PM
Jack. I would have to go with the FFF. It preety much contributes as a whole to the sport that we love so much.

Jack Brassington
11-18-2008, 05:43 AM
Thank you all for your replies. As I am sure we all do, I receive a quite a few solicitations...was not sure which ones put the donation to the best use.

k.hanley
11-18-2008, 07:46 AM
Say hey Jack and b-board members..........

You might want to check out the website www.charitynavigator.org

It's an excellent resource that shows you where the money goes, how it's used, the organization's structure, etc. We use the site here at my house to help decide on where our financial gift will be most affective.
Cheers, Ken

Bill Kiene semi-retired
11-18-2008, 08:47 AM
Thanks Ken..........

DonCooksey
11-18-2008, 10:34 AM
I'm partial to Trout Unlimited, I guess out of loyalty. It was founded at my home waters of the Au Sable River near Grayling, Michigan nearly 50 years ago.

Rick J
11-18-2008, 01:02 PM
I have been a member of TU, Cal Trout and the Conservancy for many years and think they all do their part.

The Conservancy is high on my list as my hands down favorite fishery is Silver Creek!!

aaron
11-18-2008, 02:08 PM
You could always beef up my college fund:lol:

JD
11-18-2008, 03:31 PM
For those of you who have researched the subject I would appreciate your opinion on which organization is providing the greatest benefit to our sport.

Thank You

I've always prefered regional organizations over national ones. My favorites are NCCFFF and SARA. They are doing a lot to protect the resources I care about the most. The others folks have named are good too (except maybe the Conservancy), but you just have to decide if you want the money to go to a large organization where it is just as likely to be used for operating costs as something useful, versus the small local operations where practically all of it goes towards substantive issues.

double ipa
11-18-2008, 09:09 PM
I have been donating to this group for several years now and think they are the best river protection agency there is. They have a twenty year history of successful riverland protection. There involvement on projects on the Sandy, Hoh, Klamath, Smith, and most recently the John Day have been fantastic. Check ou there website www. westernrivers.org

flycaster5
11-18-2008, 09:34 PM
I have been donating to this group for several years now and think they are the best river protection agency there is. They have a twenty year history of successful riverland protection. There involvement on projects on the Sandy, Hoh, Klamath, Smith, and most recently the John Day have been fantastic. Check ou there website www. westernrivers.org

I second this recommendation.

Mike McKenzie
11-22-2008, 09:06 PM
I have to say it depends on what you are interested in accomplishing. Most of the organizations already mentioned are large and wide spread. If you are interested in California fisheries and specifically California's Salmon, Steelhead, Trout, American Shad and Striped Bass then your best bet, hands down, is the California Sportfishing Protection Alliance. It is the only organization that truly fights for our fisheries on multi-levels. They fight many water quality issues in local rivers and streams. They are heavily involved the F.E.R.C. process with regard to re-licensing Hydro Power projects and getting proper flows and temperatures below dams. They take on the State Water Resources Control Board over water rights issues and reasonable use diversions from our waterways and many other Public Trust issues. The last point is that every dime of your money goes to the fight! Check them out here:www.calsport.org it's money well spent!

Mike