PDA

View Full Version : Input on Used Equipment Sought

Ty@Landpark
11-14-2008, 10:21 AM
Hello--
I'd really appreciate the input from savy members on this msg board. I'm new to the sport of fly fishing and don't yet have a handle on the value of equipment...especially used equipment for sale. I've come accross an individual (original owner w/purchase receipt) who is selling a 3 wt Orvis TLS mid 7.5 8' 4" four-piece rod in primo condition and he's asking $210. Is this a quality rod and does this sound like a fair price from a potential buyer's perspective? I'm looking to aquire a 3 wt set-up for some smaller trout action.

Scott V
11-14-2008, 10:33 AM
The main problem I personally see with used gear is I believe the warranty is only valid for the original owner. So if you break the rod you are going to either pay good mony to get it fixed or you have to buy another rod. That is the main reason I buy brand new rods.

Jeff C.
11-14-2008, 10:52 AM
Hey Ty,

I bought a Redington CPS 3 wt from Bill for $199. It's a fast rod and I overlined it with a Rio Grand 4 wt. WF floating line. Go down to the shop and test cast one if you like fast rods.

Jeff

Hairstacker
11-14-2008, 11:12 AM
That's a good question and hard to answer. . . .

Scott makes a good point, although if you're near an Orvis company store and walk in with a broken rod, there's a fair chance they would replace it with no questions asked.

The Orvis TLS series was always one of Orvis' middle-of-the-line rods in their line-up. I've read of some folks who really like them but many others who hated them. Some folks will find it desirable because it carries the Orvis label but others will dislike it for that reason alone. Compared to offerings by other manufacturers like Winston, Sage, Scott, etc., many folks believe Orvis hasn't made a decent rod since the original Superfine series, with the notable exception of the current Helios series. The TLS series does not appear to ever have been a particularly popular rod and they tend to run on the heavy side, although I don't think this would be an issue with a 3wt. In any case, it would be nice to try it to see if you like it.

The other thing is, as Jeff is suggesting, when you break the $200 mark, you're within the range of quite a few brand new rods that you may like just as much or better, particularly since a number of models by various manufacturers were recently discontinued and have been significantly discounted by retailers. You'll want to take these into consideration as well when making your decision.

Is the TLS you're considering a "Power Matrix" model? If not, it is a previously discontinued model as well, if that means anything to you. Even brand new discontinued rods are typically sold at deeply discounted prices -- usually anywhere from 30 - 50% off.

Ty@Landpark
11-15-2008, 10:08 PM
Hello--
Thanks all for the input. Some valid points...I'd didn't think about the warranty and previous year model new rods discounted and within range of a couple hundred bucks. Hairstacker (for lack of not knowing your name), I appreciate the depth of your knowledge about the Orvis line of rods. That's what great about this msg board...sharing knowledge and experience so that others can make more educated and informed decisions. Again, thank you all.
--Ty

Hairstacker
11-15-2008, 10:47 PM
Ty, I ask that you take what I said with a big grain of salt. Although I've always been a fan of Orvis equipment (mostly reels, packs, and vests) and have kept pretty close tabs on what they come out with, I have no personal first-hand knowledge of the specific 3 wt. rod you're considering. (If I had, I would have said so.) Moreover, the reverse is also true that for every rod someone dislikes, there's another fella that thinks it's the best thing since sliced bread. If you're interested in the rod and the price seems ok to you, I would highly recommend you ask the seller if you can check it out. At least cast it if nothing else. You might love the rod and, in the end, isn't that what really matters? Still think, though, that you should also check out the other rods in the price range for all the reasons stated. Good luck!

Ty@Landpark
11-16-2008, 11:21 PM
Thanks again Mike. Yes, we all have a different sense of feel, likes and dislikes on how a rod reacts and delivers with own unique casting styles. I plan on demoing the rod next weekend and will heed the suggestions from you, Jeff, and Scott and demo some other "new" rods within my $200 budget before committing to a rod and cementing the purchase. Thanks all.
--Ty