PDA

View Full Version : Message Board "Friends"?

Tony Buzolich
11-10-2008, 08:56 PM
I'm still learning how to use this new board and I don't know half of what is available.

Is there a tutorial or some instructions somewhere that'll explain how and what some of this stuff is?
TONY

aaron
11-11-2008, 12:09 AM
Friends?! Since when is this myspace?

Darian
11-12-2008, 12:46 PM
Hi Tony,.... You're not gettin' much help on this. I haven't seen anything in the form of on-line help for general use. Try the title, "FAQ's" in the header window. :| I've been just "bumping" around (assuming that it's similar to the old software). :rolleyes:

For what it's worth, I'm not overly impressed with the new BB software. Altho, it has some features the old software didn't have (Icons in the title, etc.). Haven't tried to post any photo's yet but it looks like you could have more options with the new software.... :confused:

The new software appears to be somewhat intuitive but is aggravating in some respects. For example, When I log on and make a post that is anything longer than one sentence in length, I have to re-logon to make the system accept the post. Also, at times, I can literally get up and go to the kitchen while the system refreshes itself.... This happens at times when I can easily access and navigate thru any other website BB without experiencing any problems. So, it's either a compatibility issue with my computer (a MacBookPro) or something is happening in the background. :mad:

In some respects it seems that the new "stuff" is needlessly complex but I understand that the purpose of acquiring the new software was not user driven (e.g. need to increase control of potential spammers) but I suppose that's necessary progress. :| :|

Ty@Landpark
11-12-2008, 02:16 PM
Tony--
First, I'd like to say "welcome". My experience is that it's pretty much trial and error so don't be afraid to poke around and try-out the different features. And, don't worry...you can't break anything.

FlyFlogger
11-12-2008, 05:42 PM
Tony,
Welcome to Bill's place. The software they upgraded to has alot of features, probably more than just about any other forum package. The old software PHPBB was a free version, and being such was only upgraded every so often and had only so many standard features. This new software is a purchased product that is upgraded more when bugs are found and new features added. Being so, there is alot you could learn if you wanted to use all of what they have turned on for us normal members to use. You don't have to learn to use it all of course, and alot of users don't.

You may find it useful to to through the FAQ's on the above menu bar, and just try to digest and experiment with a few options at a time. I ran this software on a old website I had, and I found out people new to this brand of software often did better when they got familiar with for example all the posting selections at one time, then maybe go to their USER Control Panel (CP) where they could adjust their timezones, date format, signatures and so on. Get that figured out and adjusted how they wanted, then move on or not to another section etc... If you have any questions, I'm sure a forum OP or webmaster would be glad to point you in the right direction. Take Care,
Perry

Bill Kiene semi-retired
11-12-2008, 11:04 PM
I think this is the best message board software available.

Very large extremely high traffic BBs use this same version.

I am still just getting use to it myself but being 63 years old now they didn't even have television when I was young.

"When I grew up all you needed to remember was the name of your horse and where the out house was located."

oldtrout
11-13-2008, 08:23 AM
I think the new software is great. It's even better than great if you compare it to what the NCFFB is using these days.

http://www.ncffb.org/joomla_1.0.12/

That software stinks!

Adam Grace
11-13-2008, 09:10 AM
Hey guys, Tony has been on the board since 2005....he's not new to the board, but that was very nice to welcome him though, lol :-)

Tony Buzolich
11-13-2008, 11:34 AM
Thanks for chiming in Adam.

I was thinking of saying something about being a "Senior" member but then thought I better not start something, you guys are all my friends. Sometimes we say things we don't all agree on, but we're still friends.

One of the bad things about the written word is that we can't print it with enough expression or tone of voice,,,, so, sometimes things come across in a wrong way.

TONY