PDA

View Full Version : Possible new Forum....Politics???

Phil Synhorst
11-06-2008, 10:13 AM
Hey Bill, I'm wondering if you have given consideration to putting up a forum where politics can openly be discussed? Not politics in general, but where it does relate to fishing. There are from time to time, subjects posted that the two are definitely linked. Unfortunately, it seems that most of the time it detracts from the original post; and there are some who don't want to discuss politics here. However, there seem to be a good amount of members who do. If there were a seperate forum, those that are so inclined could take up the subject there, and leave the original post "unblemished".

Thanks for reading, Phil

Mrs.Finsallaround
11-06-2008, 11:12 AM
Wouldn't that be under the Conservation forum?

huntindog
11-06-2008, 11:57 AM
The Oregon Senate outcome has huge potential for impacts to Salmon and Steelhead, Smith was right there with Cheney in responsibility for the fish kill...he was not a friend of rivers or anything that swims in them. He will not be missed by anadromous fish advocates.

http://elections.foxnews.com/2008/11/06/democratic-challenger-beats-gordon-smith-oregon-senate-race/

Tracy Chimenti
11-06-2008, 12:28 PM
I read the above message and can see why some might want a separate forum. But I just read about the fishing, and if I feel like reading that eco-political post, I'll read it and often respond... withholding MOST of my emotion. I think I wouldn't ever check the political area, because "politics" in it purest delivery turns me off. come to think of it, I would call some of this stuff criminal activity (Kern Water Bank), not politics.

And I think we owe it to ourselves to keep some of these issues in the forefront, rather than compartmentalize them so we don't have to look at them. Remember that when I retire I'm gonna be a fish lobbyist! Darian and I like to keep each other posted.

Of course if you see a subject that bores or aggravates you, you don't have to open it.

Darian
11-06-2008, 01:23 PM
Tracy,.... I appreciate the info, too. :unibrow: :unibrow:

Anyway,.... Bill has a policy of barring any discussion of religion or politics. The religious part sometimes sneaks itself into other subjects or into things like signature lines. Conservation issues are inextricably related to fishing. So, whether we like it or not, some of this will "out". :rolleyes:

I think Robin is correct that the Conservation Forum is the appropriate place for these subjects. Having said that, I don't believe there's enough interest in areas politically related to fishing or conservation to make an effort in posting about it. Take a look at the number of viewers of each of the Topics posted under all of the Forums and I think you'll see that most of the BB members do not even try to view them when compared with fishing reports or other Forum/Topic areas.... :\\

Now, admittedly, I'm an activist/junkie (politically) and follow almost all developments on a daily basis. Also, I realize almost nobody else is. So, I've stopped trying to get a lot of info posted to this BB. Especially since the reaction to my attempt to be humorous/sarcastic in solving water problems in this state. (Thanks for all of the attention but please keep the accusations of anti-semitism to yourselves in the future.... [-X ) Frankly, Some of the other over the top reactions to postings by other members of this BB has turned me off. Too much self-righteous indignation out there....

In keeping with the current spirit of this BB, I'll stick to contributing (if at all) on other Forum/Topics from this point.... :fish2:

erhetta
11-06-2008, 04:14 PM
Personally, these and a few other forums are my refuge from politics. I get enough of that in the real world... Fishing is my escape and when the political topics surface here, I just ignore them.

Part of me votes "go for it" because it is easier to ignore a whole forum area than weed through posts in different areas that contain the political back and forth.

Just my 2c....

Ed Wahl
11-06-2008, 07:09 PM
I would have to agree with erhetta, somewhat. I'm all for keeping the prohibition against politics off this board. You can get good stimulating political discussion anywhere, friendly political discussion in far fewer places, prolonged friendly political discussion nowhere. It just isn't conducive to even 'common' courtesy.

Every time a thread goes political it inevitably goes into the toilet. No one's going to change any one's mind or political philosophy by posting theirs here on the board. Ed

Concord Bob
11-06-2008, 09:23 PM
I personally do not think it is a good idea to have a Political forum. Politics, whether it deals with conservation or not, seem to lead to heated debates and they ultimately get nasty.

I recognize that you could avoid looking at the particular forum, however I believe there are many other options for this type of dialouge.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
11-06-2008, 10:07 PM
I feel the same about religion, politics and professional wrestling........now way do we need it here or at the store.

This is a fun fishing forum for gentlemen.

There are already plenty of wide open full on screaming nasty uncontrolled forms out there where you can get your adrenaline fix.

Anything that is related to fishing & politics can go under 'Conservation'.

RW
11-06-2008, 11:23 PM
Paging OregonSalmon to the white courtesy phone.....

Mrs.Finsallaround
11-07-2008, 07:02 AM
This is a fun fishing forum for gentlemen.

And, fly-fishing girls! :cool:

Bill Kiene semi-retired
11-07-2008, 08:55 AM
Oregon Salmon is so funny that he can get away with saying almost anything here.

Phil Synhorst
11-07-2008, 09:54 AM
Thanks Everyone for the input.:) I figured that would be the general sentiment. And I know we have the Conservation Forum, but some of the posts that had gone "political" didn't seem to really fall under that.

Just thought I'd throw it on the wall and see what stuck. This is what happens when I'm stuck at home, bored out of my mind.](*,)

Scott V
11-07-2008, 10:27 AM
Thanks Everyone for the input.:) I figured that would be the general sentiment. And I know we have the Conservation Forum, but some of the posts that had gone "political" didn't seem to really fall under that.

Just thought I'd throw it on the wall and see what stuck. This is what happens when I'm stuck at home, bored out of my mind.](*,)

Stop trying to start fires you goof ball, go out fishing. Oh thats right it is too cold to wear your camo shorts so there is no sense to go out because you might catch cold.:-P:D

Phil Synhorst
11-07-2008, 10:54 AM
Scott, you are absolutely correct(except about the shorts):p. I need to get out and hit the A. I was going to get out with Ed earlier this week with the prams, but I can't quite load it by myself yet, and the wife was being stubborn(sensible) and wouldn't help me.:\\

Ed Wahl
11-07-2008, 08:17 PM
Phil, your wife is so much smarter than you. If your intelligence matched hers your kids would be finishing medical school by now.

You know you would have eventually torn your shoulder all the way off trying to muscle that pram around.

I'm not sure where that 'gentlemen' crack came from, maybe Bill has an untapped sarcastic side. I like him better already.

Robin, like it or not, in these circles, you're one of the guys. In a good way.

Mrs.Finsallaround
11-07-2008, 10:33 PM
Robin, like it or not, in these circles, you're one of the guys. In a good way.

:D :cool: :-\"

Tracy Chimenti
11-13-2008, 08:28 AM
Hey Bill, you can say what you want about politics, but when you denegrate PROFESSIONAL WRESTLING... well, that's when the gloves come off!