PDA

View Full Version : Taking a total newbie out Tues

Jay
11-01-2008, 11:21 PM
Hey guys. My best friend is wanting to get into fly fishing and is really excited about our trip on tuesday. With this storm, I dont know if I will be able to get to any of the high country water that I have become familiar/confident in. Hoping you guys had some suggestions for some moving water that is gonna be beneath the snowline, that wont be too blown out, where we stand a chance of getting him on some fish. Action will be much more important than size to him. Will be wading. Smaller, more pocketed water would be cool. brookies, rainbows, browns, doesnt matter.

Strictly catch and release. Will keep any info as quiet as you like, PM is fine.

Just really scratching my head at this point. Considering the Lower Yuba (ive only fished above the 20 bridge), and any of the forks of the american that will be accessible in this weather(never fly fished any of them, but live in between the South and middle forks). Anything in a 1.5 hr radius of auburn/placerville. Thanks soo much guys.

Jay

Since I never got around to posting it, here is my first ever Lahontan, which is my biggest yet @ 26" taken in early october on a size 14 lead eye olive bugger on a 5wt.

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h223/fourbizzle/26inchcutt.jpg

Bill Kiene semi-retired
11-01-2008, 11:24 PM
Was that at Heenan Lake?

Jay
11-01-2008, 11:26 PM
nope, got some nice brookies that day too ;)

any suggestions for tuesday?

Ed Wahl
11-02-2008, 09:21 AM
"my first ever Lahontan, which is my biggest yet" :lol:

Sent you a pm. Ed

Bill Kiene semi-retired
11-02-2008, 10:04 AM
Most trout lakes will be fishing well now.

Fuller Lake, Red Lake or Silver Lake?

Truckee River or Lower Yuba - Hwy 20?

Putah Creek?

It's Steelhead time in many rivers.

Stripers in the Delta now too.

Jay
11-02-2008, 11:15 AM
"my first ever Lahontan, which is my biggest yet" :lol:

Sent you a pm. Ed

I know that sounds goofy. I meant that despite catching 15 or 20 since that fish, she is still my biggest, lol.

Scott V
11-02-2008, 11:30 AM
If you didn't get that cut at Heenan, where did you get it, if you don't mid someone asking?

Jay
11-02-2008, 11:56 AM
Lake Kirman.

Jay
11-02-2008, 01:17 PM
Thanks to Ed and Fat Lurker Brookie for the Pm's. Some excellent suggestions!

Whats the run down on the Lower Yuba? Wadeable access? I have no problem working hard for a fish, but I really want to get him some action. I need to get him hooked so I have a fly fishing partner, lol. All of my fishing buddies laugh at me when I want to go fly fishing instead of trophy bass fishing.

I am pretty new to fly fishing as well, and we both only have 5wt's available. This leads me to think that targeting steelies isnt such a good idea, plus I was under the impression that steelie fishing with flies is much casting for few fish, which again would be fine with me, but i need his confidence up!

Thank you all so much for helping me get a new fly partner!

Jay

Scott V
11-02-2008, 03:08 PM
Lake Kirman.

Thanks for the name, I am always looking for new water.

And as for steelhead fishing, yes it is alot and I mean alot of casting for one or two fish.

Jay
11-03-2008, 03:56 PM
Why does he choose this week!?! All of the areas I have planned on fishing are above the snow level now, and I wont be able to get to any of them.

Please help. I desperately want to get him on fish. within a couple hours of auburn. To reiterate, moving water, lots of action.

Can anyone tell me how the lower yuba is doing now. We will be wading, no drift boat available. I have only fished above the bridge. Is the water and access pretty much the same down river? Are there enough trout that i could get him on a few through the days teaching?

I would not be begging so much if this was my trip. I really prefer to explore and find stuff on my own. All of the places I know and am confident in are inaccessible to us right now.

IronMtn
11-03-2008, 04:51 PM
Truckee could be good now, and shouldn't have a snow problem. Even if it did, there's nothing like fishing in a snow storm. Flows are creeping back down.

Putah creek (even though it's not really close to P-ville) is a lot of fun (7x tippets and flies so small you feel sorry for the guy who tied it). Flows are erratic, but has the potential to produce good numbers.

Otherwise I think the steelhead season has everybody else in a trance.

dtp916
11-03-2008, 10:24 PM
You wanna get him hooked you gotta take him to a small stream. If you want consistent action, I'd look at NF Yuba and its tribs. You won't get anything big - well, you might - but there should be plenty of fish there to eat your flies.

I would stay away from the Truckee, for the sole fact you need to put some time into that river to know how those fish behave and where they hold.

Putah Creek is close. You can fish 6x do fine, I wouldn't use 7x like mentioned before unless you have a rod with serious bend. Small flies for sure, though.

Good luck!