PDA

View Full Version : steelhead help PLEASE!!!

TaylerW
10-30-2008, 10:00 PM
hey guys,
im going to have 3 weeks off of school at christmas and im going to have my dads lance camper and truck with my outcast on the roof and i want to hook some metal. i have no idea what im doing and if anyone wants to split some gas im plannig on going to the trinity for like a week. flies, techniques and any other help would be much appreciated, hell ill pay for the gas.........
thanks!!
tayler

jhaquett
10-30-2008, 10:05 PM
I think your best bet is to become buddies with the Trinity Fly Shop for that week. They know everything and have extremely up to date information.

fishinjohnny
10-30-2008, 10:21 PM
I'll fish with you for a couple days. Unfortunately I'm in the same boat as you on experience but I've been chomping at the bit for some steelhead fishing. I'll be getting some info from a friend who's going there this weekend. Maybe we can hook up and try this thing out. Send me an e-mail if you want. John4832814@yahoo.com
John Roe

TaylerW
10-30-2008, 10:31 PM
aight will do...

huntindog
10-31-2008, 06:38 AM
I think your best bet is to become buddies with the Trinity Fly Shop for that week. They know everything and have extremely up to date information.

Ditto this....very helpful, One thing that would be huge for you is if you could beg, borrow or steel enough $$ to get a guide even if it is just for a half day. you should ask santa for a guided trip[-o< you would learn more in a half day doing that than you would in 2 weeks of fishing by your self.

Ty@Landpark
10-31-2008, 08:59 AM
Darn good suggestion from Huntindog...even if for a 1/2 day guide outing. Sounds like fun...wish I could join you, however, I'm a slave to my desk M - F. Good fishing!

MrBig
10-31-2008, 01:57 PM
Not to be rude, but the last thing the Trinity needs is more people coming in to fish it. You're in Salem, OR? Dude, there's so many places to fish for steelhead on the OR coast. Go there. If I were you, and I had that much time and the camper, I'd go to BC.

slim
11-01-2008, 09:27 AM
I gotta agree with Mr.Big on this one, and again, I say fish wherever you dang well please.
I can't imagine driving past all the great spots to drive from Salem all the way to the Trinity. I think I'd be headed other way, say some Columbia tribs., coastal Oregon, or even an Umpqua/Rogue week. Wherever you go, have a great time and I look forward to hearing about the road trip.
It is funny how a guy from Oregon wants to come to CA to fish for a week off and a guy from CA, (me) with a week off would probably go to Oregon!!

jhaquett
11-01-2008, 10:40 AM
That is just a natural human desire to travel. It is a double standard to tell him not to come to the Trinity but to go to the Umpqua. The Umpqua is a zoo in some areas and some seasons also.

Go where ever the hell you want man.

Hairstacker
11-01-2008, 10:43 AM
It is funny how a guy from Oregon wants to come to CA to fish for a week off and a guy from CA, (me) with a week off would probably go to Oregon!!
It is funny to imagine the two cars flying past each other in opposite directions on the freeway.:lol:

bigtj
11-01-2008, 12:34 PM
Go over to the coast instead of the Trinity. You will have more fun and spend less money. Go talk to the guys at Creekside they will tell you where to go. The hatchery fish will be in and you will catch a lot bigger and harder-fighting fish over on the Oregon coast.

Get some boating experience now before you go if you don't have it already. As far as what to do, just put on a glo bug under and indicator and have at it. On the coast in the winter it's a lot more effective. You can also swing likely looking water. Steelhead are much easier to catch than people let on, it's just the run timing and being in the right place and right time that is hard.

TaylerW
11-01-2008, 01:16 PM
haha i worked and creekside a few times, rich and kathy youngers(the owners) are really good friends of mine. i almost got kicked outta highschool cause i spent so mant days on the nestucca, trust me i have been there done that. now i live in vallejo and am going to school at Cal Maritime so im a long ways from oregon....

bigtj
11-01-2008, 08:51 PM
OK then fish somewhere from Lewiston down as far as Pigeon and bring your own rock to fish off of. And fish a 2-fly rig one glo bug one red copper john. When the fish are in it's like taking candy from a baby. Not the best swing water up there that high try the fall it's a better time for swinging.

If the water is clear and there isn't a lot of rain you can have more favorable conditions down to Del Loma or even lower but it's dependent on weather.

Good luck.

PS if I had 3 weeks I'd drive the extra few hours to fish the coast up in OR. More different rivers to try the Trinity will get boring after about 3 or 4 days.