PDA

View Full Version : American Made Gear?

gilly
10-28-2008, 12:59 PM
I will be consolidating some of my fly fishing gear over the next month or so and I'm wondering which rod/reel companies manufacture there products in the US. I'm wanting to purchase fly fishing goods made in the USA (at least rods, reels, waders, jackets, etc.) and stick with companies that are solvent. I just purchased a Teton Reel earlier this year...love the reel but the company is having issues. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Gilly

Bill Markwood
10-28-2008, 01:34 PM
Galvan Reels are made in Sonora. I really like the ones that I have

easymends
10-28-2008, 02:00 PM
Bauer Fly Reels are Made in Ashland Oregon and in my opinion have the best drag in the business. Silky smooth and they look great.

http://www.bauerflyreel.com/index.html

Terry Thomas
10-28-2008, 07:40 PM
In addition:
Reels:Abel, Hatch, Naulilus, Ross, and Tibor.
Rods:Sage, Scott, and Winston.
Waders:Simms I believe Simms is the last American made wader left.

pvsprme
10-29-2008, 05:01 AM
Lamson/Waterworks; All but the new Konic is USA. Sierra Trading Post has a few Radius left (replaced by the Guru). I got an R3 (6/7 wt) for $101 delivered-a steal. Super drag, lifetime warranty.

DeMello
10-29-2008, 05:05 AM
I think in a near future it wont be possible to use only American Made tackle. The World no longer has boundaries, it is useless to try to keep all the money in one country, it already changed places and this current financial crisis is showing this.

Emergent countries already are the next dominant economies.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
10-29-2008, 08:04 AM
I respect people who try to buy "Made in USA" but it will get harder all the time as DeMello has stated here.

I could see where in 5 to 10 years we will have no more rods, reels, waders or boots made in the USA due to the cost of doing business here.

In most cases it's not of matter of choice if everyone else has gone that way.