PDA

View Full Version : Casting Help: Same line, different sinks, casting problems?

SHigSpeed
10-27-2008, 01:46 PM
So I recently bought a SA Wet Cel 5 wt Type I and Type IV WF lines. Thing is, I can cast the Type IV just fine (relative to my weak-sauce newbie skill level) but with the Type I I flail miserably. It feels as if the belly of the line doesn't start for 30 feet (by casting feel, I haven't actually checked the physical taper) and once I manage to feebly false cast enough to get any line out, my loops are out of control and 4 out of 5 times it falls out of the air. SOMETIMES I can concentrate really hard on making smooth, tight and controlled hauls and swings and without much exertion hit the sweet spot and shoot a halfway decent cast, but those are few and far between. To add insult to injury, my stripped line (on my apron in my tube/'toon) tangles and it all fails miserably again!

What's going on here?

Is it normal for two line "types" of the same product line in the same weight to cast differently?

It almost feels as if I spooled the line backwards, but I know that's highly unlikely unless it was put on the factory spool backwards...

Seems like for the Type I I should be using a 6 wt instead.

Help a newbie out? :)

_SHig

Adam Grace
10-27-2008, 06:22 PM
SHig, the faster the line sink the thinner the line gets (usually), and thin lines tend to travel through the air faster...based on my experience. I have to slow down my casting stroke when I use my type 6 full sinking line compared to my clear int which casts similarly to a floating line.

Maybe this helps a little bit.

Good luck.

SHigSpeed
10-27-2008, 06:27 PM
SHig, the faster the line sink the thinner the line gets (usually), and thin lines tend to travel through the air faster...based on my experience. I have to slow down my casting stroke when I use my type 6 full sinking line compared to my clear int which casts similarly to a floating line.

Maybe this helps a little bit.

Good luck.

Hmm... Good info. I know it's not apples to apples, but I can cast a floating line just fine! Just seems like the SA Wet Cel Type I is too light for either of my 5 wt rods (I thought it was the rod the last time, but I switched up and it's the same!).

Are you using the Cort CC line? What weight? Do you upweight or stick with the rated line for your rod?

Thanks!

_SHig

Darian
10-27-2008, 09:28 PM
Shig,.... I think you might've already answered your question but if you want to be sure, weigh the first 30' of the line. That will either confirm that the line is too light or, if not, you might need some casting assistance. ;) ;)

Bill Kiene semi-retired
10-27-2008, 09:44 PM
Your Type I, slow sinking line might be on backwards? Seriously........

Your faster sinking line will travel through the air faster because it is the same weight as your slow sinking line but smaller in diameter with less wind resistance. This higher speed tends to load your rod more making casting easier.

As Adam said, you slow sinking line is kind of like casting a full floater.

SHigSpeed
10-27-2008, 11:33 PM
Your Type I, slow sinking line might be on backwards? Seriously........

Your faster sinking line will travel through the air faster because it is the same weight as your slow sinking line but smaller in diameter with less wind resistance. This higher speed tends to load your rod more making casting easier.

As Adam said, you slow sinking line is kind of like casting a full floater.

Seriously, it FEELS like it's on backwards, but I spooled it right off the factory spool onto my backing. I'll double check it when I get a chance.

Thanks for all the input!

_SHig

Tim W
11-02-2008, 07:43 PM
I purchased a new line a while back that was spooled-on backward at the factory. Casting a level line is very difficult. The line does not shoot and kicks. So check out your line.