PDA

View Full Version : just an idea

Charlie Gonzales
10-27-2008, 09:11 AM
Want to be able to spend time on the water and make the wife or girlfriend happy. I am thinking of doing either doing dinner or brunch trips in my drift boat on the American River. Food and beverages would be provided and trying to figure a price point. Any input is appreciated.

RobK.
10-27-2008, 11:12 AM
Want to be able to spend time on the water and make the wife or girlfriend happy. I am thinking of doing either dinner or brunch trips in my drift boat on the American River. Food and beverages would be provided and trying to figure a price point. Any input is appreciated.

Sounds like fun to me !!

Darian
10-27-2008, 12:11 PM
Interesting and novel idea.... :nod: By price point, I'm assuming you mean establishing what people are willing to pay for the product. To answer that, we might need to have a better idea of what type of food/drink are to be supplied (gourmet or box lunch, hot or cold, "shore lunch" :question:).

Another question might be whether enough people would pay for a drift/meal (gourmet or box lunch) without a combo fishing trip :question: Likely, more people will pay for a gourmet meal in a restaurant than on a drift trip, alone. However, a high class "shore lunch" would be likely to attract bird watchers, photographers, etc., if not a combo fishing trip.

You may already be aware of this but if you plan on serving some form of alcoholic beverage with these meals, you'll be required to get the appropriate license from the Alcoholic Beverage Control (ABC) Board. (Remember, that consumption of alcoholic beverages are prohibited on the American River Parkway and maybe others, as well.)

Additionally, You'll need a Sellers Permit from the Board of Equalization (Sales Tax) and possibly a business permit from Sacramento or other cities and/or counties where you'll be providing services.... I'm assuming that the cost of providing your current "shore lunch" is included in your daily fee for guiding and that you do not have a sellers Permit. If you conduct trips for drinks/meals, only, you'll have to collect/record/report sales tax on the price of each drink/meal provided. The cost of required licenses/permits, additional record keeping and/or accounting could be deal breakers. :confused:

Sorry Charlie,.... not sure I offered much of anything other than raising a bunch of questions.... :confused: You're on the right track. Just keep asking questions until you get all the answers you need. :cool: :cool:

Charlie Gonzales
10-27-2008, 12:40 PM
Hey Darian,

Those are the right questions, and answers are as follows......

No alcohol allowed; my insurance company wouldnt cover me.

I would working in conjunction with two very special restaurants that would handle all the apropriate licenses.

Very gourmet, and not a shore lunch, served while drifting and customers enjoy the view.

As it is now, I serve hot meals for my clients when the weather permits.

It may too late in the season with winter approaching, but at the same time, the cooler weather will keep the rif raf to a minimum.

People already pay for the Delta King and this could be much more intimate.

Darian
10-27-2008, 02:51 PM
OK,.... A very gourmet meal involving fish, fowl, beef and/or pork (soups/stews :question: ....), a salad and/or side and dessert.... You're anticipating a drift in cool/cold weather. That seems to need a cooked or heated meal of some sort. A heated drink and/or water (just thinking out loud here.... :wink:). I'm guessing that the meal would be served ashore.

A meal of that sort could cost anywhere from $35.00 to $50.00 per person (a bit higher with wine) in a medium, restaurant (like a Paragary's). If by "very gourmet" you mean a "higher end" restaurant than that, the prices can go up quite a bit per person.... :cool:

From my perspective, as I'm growing older, a very gourmet meal requires an alcoholic beverage to accompany the main course and maybe the dessert. I prefer to eat a very gourmet meal in comfort or close to where comfort is to be found. So, the incentive for me to do something like this would be to fish as well as drift. That would make the discomforts and price more acceptable. Of course, the level of comfort I'd require would change with the season of the year.

I dunno, I'm sure that there'd be some people who would really enjoy a trip like this. The real question is: are there enough potential customers to make this a profitable operation.... :question: :question: IMHO, not sure I'd pay to eat a high end meal while out-doors.... But,.... :???: :???:

aaron
10-27-2008, 03:50 PM
Hey Charlie I saw a while back that someone was doing that on the Lower Sac so there must be some demand for it. I'll see if I can dig up more details for you.

Charlie Gonzales
10-27-2008, 04:41 PM
Your input and opinions is exactly what I was looking for, so thanks.

What makes something upscale or goumet(imho) is not the linen clothes that are on the table in front of me, but the ingredients in the dish that are on the table. I worked at Paragarys for several years, as well as some the best catering company in Sacramento, and you might be surprised how much food is precooked to reduce waiting periods. If people cant go with out alchohol for one meal then I dont know what to tell them, but I do understand because even though I dont really "drink" I love a good muscat with desert. And I dont anticipate ever pulling the boat over, just anchoring at the bottom of a riffle with the water trickling below my oar blades in between courses. But how this for a smaple menu.....

soft polente with a mushroom demi..... then maybe a seafood rissotto......then a vanilla bean creme brulee'.....

Hey maybe this wont work but its just an idea.

loganmike
10-27-2008, 05:03 PM
Just an honest opinion here. When i take my wife out to eat. I want to take her out to eat. When I go fishing. I want to go fishing. Now if my wife wanted to fish then we would both fish. Having a gourmet meal on a drift boat that does not really sounds that appetizing to me, regardless of the company. I would not be into it, either would my non fishing wife!

Don't take it personally Charlie, just giving you my opinion.

me

PS it was good to see you on the Feather on Sunday! I was the guy at the Boat launch with the Kiene's hat in the pontoon!

Phil Synhorst
10-27-2008, 06:39 PM
Hey Charlie, sounds like a cool idea to me. The view/wildlife along the American is usually pretty nice. It would definitely be better and more intimate than something like the Delta King.

I understand the ease of catering from a good restaurant, but would you also consider doing the meals yourself? From what I have heard, and seen on the board you're no slouch when it comes to putting together some great food.

p.s. I think I saw something in another thread about collecting on some preserves from Ed. If it's the Cherry, camp out on his doorstep until he gives it up. :wink:

Ed Wahl
10-27-2008, 07:35 PM
Charlie, I'd pay for it if you're going to use a push-pole, wear a striped shirt, straw hat, and sing 'O Sole Mio' at the top of your lungs. :lol:

Heck, I'd even sell tickets.:lol:

Seriously though, I've got to agree with Darian, your customer base for this enterprise is going to expect a good wine to complement the meal. It's something that is expected with 'very gourmet'.
The idea seems very 'kitchy' though, it could work.

Let me know when you're going to do the song rehearsals. I've got some paying customers lined up. :lol: Ed

Darian
10-27-2008, 08:59 PM
MMM, MMM.... You're really tempting me with that menu.... :D I suppose you could substitute a non-alcohol wine or apple juice (sparking) for a cold drink.... Lots of options for hot drinks.8)

Since, from everything I've heard, you make a killer duck sausage, you might consider duck sausage with a Morel sauce and salad for spring (maybe you already have....:-k). I'm sure you can improve on this.... :nod:

I like playing around with this. Hope Aaron can find his reference. Maybe we can brainstorm this into a real venture.... :-D :-D

mikenewman
10-28-2008, 10:03 AM
Hi Charlie

You'd need to sell the sizzle not the sausage with this concept.

First decide what the experience is that you are offering:

Fine Dining - tough to see how you would appeal on this alone. More choice, more comfort and fine wines available in a restaurant and cheaper because they wouldn't have to pay for your exclusive time.

Romance - possibilities. Could you take them to a beautiful, secluded spot. Lay out a trestle table with white linen, fine china and great food and then discreetly withdraw. "You'll never guess where Billy proposed/took me for my birthday etc". Still a tough one though: how romantic the missus feels when she realizes bathroom facilities are in short supply!!! Also, romance without champagne?

Romance and fun - more possibilities! Joking apart, Ed is right on the money. Some unique experience, like being transported by "Charlie the Gondolier" would bring free publicity - "Oh, and the food was out of this World too".

Wildlife/educational - Show them stuff they've never seen, be an expert on local flora/fauna with a gourmet picnic as well. Tell them stories about the history of the river.

Divorce Celebration - "Our marriage went down the river years ago, so guess where we celebrated our divorce?"

Don't know how many you can carry, but I think any ideas have a better chance if you can carry 4 rather than 2. Opens it up to 2 couples (More fun, less awkwardness than with just you and a couple) or mom, dad and kids (Family adventure, fun, great food for everybody.) Also spreads the cost.

Speaking of cost, don't undervalue: unique experience = premium price.

Finally, probably not the best economic climate for launching a service like this, if you get my drift! Good luck

Mike

Ty@Landpark
10-28-2008, 02:28 PM
A lot of good input from board mbrs here. To help determine a price range try backing into some numbers. What is meant by this is first determine what's the minimum amount you need to make in order to make it worthwhile? Then, add on top of this number your anticipated expenses for food, transportation, added insurance costs, marketing, etc. This should get you to your minimun starting amount...once you known this number you'll have an idea if it's a feasible starting amount and or if you have some wiggle room to increase it. Food at med - fine resturants doesn't gross the most profit...it's largly the bar tap and apetizers that generates the profit. This may make this venture more challening from a profitibility standpoint, so as mentioned earlier on this thread..."sell the sizzle" which I believe is the unique experience. Be careful not to go with too elaborate of a menu starting out as this can be built upon later and for special occassions. Take time to really define the experience you want to provide...is it fishing, dining, combination of fishing & dining, sightseeing, boatride, etc. Then there's determining your target market (those with expendable income), marketing plan, and all the other suggestions that were made about restroom facility, licenses, permits, food handling, etc.

I think it's a great idea...consider the K.I.S.S. approach and careful not to lose focus on building your core business pursuit whereas the energies redirected toward a niche venture may prove more costly. Keep me posted on how this turns-out...I'm definitely interested especially if you singing a seranade song is included in the fair.

mikel
10-28-2008, 03:19 PM
:-D well, I was the guy who started the duck sausage rumor, and I think the idea has merit...I think we talked about it in the boat. I believe that Charlie's regular deal is great, but add in superior food and there's no competition. Lots of guides can put you on fish, but not many can feed you like this too!

:!:This would be a great way for me to get my wife on the water with me. She goes once in a while, but give her something to tell all her friends about that was "special" and she'd sign up...

Charlie and I have a meeting in May or June for some shad...I'll show up hungry:nod::nod::nod::D

-Mike