PDA

View Full Version : salmon spawning yet

burl51
10-24-2008, 07:37 AM
Just wondering if any one has seen any spawning salmon in the riffles in the American
Would like to get in on an egg bite. Maybe will have to go to the Feather.
Alot of crooks up there. I have a spot in the high flow were I can fish right next
to my rig though.thanks in advance

Burl

Bill Kiene semi-retired
10-24-2008, 08:11 AM
We heard they were spawning on the Sacramento River.

The American River has a later fall run than most even though some fish are coming in all summer. The big 'herds' of King Salmon arrive in October on the "Lower A" with November being a big spawning month.

Blueracer
10-25-2008, 12:33 AM
"herds" hahahahahaaa, Bill thats a real good one! You just couldn't resist giving us all a good laugh! The serious truth of course is the salmon run is not even a trickle compared to what it once was.

But yeah Burl, the salmon have begun giving it a try.

Tony Buzolich
10-25-2008, 04:44 AM
In case you haven't heard the salmon season is closed everywhere locally except for the Sac between Knights Landing and Red Bluff only from Nov.1-Dec.31.

The rivers are still open to the pursuit of steelhead but not salmon. If you are fishing for steelhead and hook a salmon you can continue to play it and then release it. BUT, if you target salmon, you are breaking the law.

This also has been abused and was written up a few issues ago in Western Outdoors News about how guys are lining the salmon in the American. Even though they may release them, they are still breaking the law by pursuing them.

With a light fly rod you "might" convince the judge you were after steelhead when you were lining those salmon.
TONY

Blueracer
10-25-2008, 10:07 PM
Burl I presumed you knew of the news Tony left you but after reading your post again maybe you did not know this. If not, there's that big update for you. And what Tony said is right on. Many are out there breaking the law even though they will say they are fishing for another species if a warden questions them. A limit on the length of leader may or may not help that dilemma some. People with twenty feet of floro after their bottom bouncing weight are not exactly planning for a legal bite on any fish.

BigOkieWhiteBoy916
10-26-2008, 03:09 AM
Just wondering if any one has seen any spawning salmon in the riffles in the American
Would like to get in on an egg bite. Maybe will have to go to the Feather.
Alot of crooks up there. I have a spot in the high flow were I can fish right next
to my rig though.thanks in advance

Burl

Burl I presumed you knew of the news Tony left you but after reading your post again maybe you did not know this. If not, there's that big update for you. And what Tony said is right on. Many are out there breaking the law even though they will say they are fishing for another species if a warden questions them. A limit on the length of leader may or may not help that dilemma some. People with twenty feet of floro after their bottom bouncing weight are not exactly planning for a legal bite on any fish.

In case you haven't heard the salmon season is closed everywhere locally except for the Sac between Knights Landing and Red Bluff only from Nov.1-Dec.31.

The rivers are still open to the pursuit of steelhead but not salmon. If you are fishing for steelhead and hook a salmon you can continue to play it and then release it. BUT, if you target salmon, you are breaking the law.

This also has been abused and was written up a few issues ago in Western Outdoors News about how guys are lining the salmon in the American. Even though they may release them, they are still breaking the law by pursuing them.

With a light fly rod you "might" convince the judge you were after steelhead when you were lining those salmon.
TONY

Maybe he is talking about an egg bite for steelies. Since they really turn on when the salmon spawn? Just my guess??!??

burl51
10-26-2008, 04:29 AM
fishing behind the spawning salmon is one of the best ways to catch steelhead you guys. try it some time. Use egg patterns as a lead fly and a trailing nymph. Deadly for steelies.
You guys need to read what I ask before jumping to conclusions. Bill saw the lite.
Egg bite

sorry For misleading you
Burl

huntindog
10-26-2008, 07:29 AM

TONY

Dude, he is talking about catching steelhead, you fish with egg patterns to catch em,,,you jumped to a goofy conclusion

Frank Alessio
10-26-2008, 06:56 PM
What is Goofy about your post is YOU.... Dude does not have a Crystal Ball. The original post

Only mentioned one Fish by name and it was not a Steelhead Dude.........

huntindog
10-27-2008, 09:41 AM
What is Goofy about your post is YOU.... Dude does not have a Crystal Ball. The original post

Only mentioned one Fish by name and it was not a Steelhead Dude.........

he referred to an EGG BITE....that could only be steelhead or bows.... a small amount of common sense goes a long way here.

burl51
10-28-2008, 12:33 PM
http://kiene.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14718

Check this link on this board to find out about the egg bite.
Next time make sure ya know what you are talking about. Just takes
time to get the lingo down.

Burl