PDA

View Full Version : Forebay Again

Jay Murakoshi
10-23-2008, 11:50 PM
Went over to the Forebay again. Great looking sunrise, a good triple shot of expresso to get the blood circulating and some diving birds.
Pulling up at my launching point, I could see birds diving just out of casting distance then water came alive. Baitfish raining and stripers on the prowl

I grabbed the pram, ripped it out of the truck and dragged it down to the water. Looks like I need a repatching job. Threw the trolling motor on, hooked up the battery, grabbed my 6 rods, camera bag, tackle bag, life jacket, water and the expresso and off to the fish. I spooked a bunch of fish 15 yds off the shoreline. Grabbed the Sage bass rod and started casting, First cast, first fish, second cast second fish. These fish were definitely a lot healthier than a few days ago. WOW, birds within casting range, fish swimming under the pram and no else around. Another hook up. The fish ranged between 3 and 5 pounds. And they have a bad attitude. I then tried the bubble head popper and caught a few on that, then switched over to my Jay's CB Diver (crank bait fly) and stayed with that fly for a while.
I wanted to see if the fish would tear it apart. As of tonight, the diving bill is still attached, the eyes are in place and the hair is not even ruffled.

Then it happened, the sound of HP motors coming my way. I had 3 guys in one boat pass right in front of me, no more than 50' going pretty damn fast. I think all the people on the lake heard me yell - you MF!....Why do people do this, ignorant or dumb. Then they started fishing around where I was hooking up. So payback is hell.... I cranked up my
65lb thrust trolling motored right through there fishing area. Well was it considered ignorant or dumb? Harrasment !

Then 4 other boats came in and started trolling the whole area. Everyone must be looking thought binoculars. I finally gave up and went to my buoys. Not a lot of fish but no one around. After 15 minutes, A BIG GRAB ! My line went screaming through the guides and into the reel the fish went. I never knew there was anything that big in the Forebay.

Lucky for me, it headed to deeper water. After 5 minutes I had the fish to the pram and started fumbling for the boga. Lipped it and checked out the weight. 12lbs. That fish made my day... Not much after that, so I went back in for some more water and then was talking to this guy who was getting his float tube ready for some bass fishing. He wasn't interested in stripers. I told him he should try the tules but he said NAH, the bass are right out there. OK - you're the boss. So after refilling my ice chest with water, I headed over to the tules with a Dahlberg with rubber legs.... Long story short, hooked into 4 LMB up to 3lbs.

Loaded the pram and came home. Too dang tired and hot to stick around for the evening bite. NO WIND

Now I'm sitting here at midnight working on the final corrections on the DVD. Should be an all nighter

Jay

Darian
10-24-2008, 09:33 AM
Hey Jay,.... With a triple espresso in you, you probably could've rowed the pram as fast as the trolling motor powered it.... :-D You're gonna have to learn to be less verbal and keep your rod low when you hook up. That way nobody will hear you and the guys with the field glasses won't be able to tell if you have a fish on. ;-)

How many fish did the CB fly go thru before you changed it out :question: :question: Did you try the zara spook type fly :question: :question:

Back when I was fishing from my pram, I ran into a number of trollers who crowded me (sometimes within 20' of my gunwale) if I started catching fish and were completely oblivious that they were cutting across where I was casting. If I said anything it never changed anything. :\\ :\\ I finally stopped fishing from the pram where trollers were fishing too. ](*,) ](*,)

Sounds like you really had a good day in spite of the crowding.... :D :D

Jgoding
10-24-2008, 12:38 PM
Nice report Jay. My favorite part was you yelling MF'er and making sure the whole lake heard you. Nice fish too. It's a shame people don't have any common courtesy these days. Reminds me of duck season last year... few times you get these yahoo A-holes who walk in, set up 35 yards right in front of you and then shoot the birds you call in cuz they go to their stupid roto duck and rain pellets all over you to boot.....

Jay Murakoshi
10-24-2008, 02:01 PM
Darian,

I probably had 5 to 7 fish on the CB Diver. I didn't take the zara's with me. I also tried out my newest creation the "hula popper" It's still not riding on the water correctly and with the rattles inserted in the middle it makes you "bob & weave". I don't think I want to get hit by this. Right now, I'm using a 6/0 Gamakatsu spinner bait hook. I need to find a long shank hook with a HUGE gap.

I'm hoping that Rainy's will pick up my hair bugs. I've submitted a bunch of samples to her. It would be nice not to tie flies anymore. Or at least cut back on the numbers.

Jay

briansII
10-24-2008, 04:23 PM
Hey Jay,

As you know, pretty common to have boaters, or waverunners buzz you out there. I was in a nice school of fish, and had a guy motor right on top of where I was casting, asking me questions. I had to yell at him to shut his motor off. One time I almost cast on top of a pair of fishermen, as they motored up to me in their small aluminum boat......and they were fly fishermen. Get this, they asked me, "do you know where Jay is?" I have no idea if they were talking about you, but it made me laugh.

briansII

Darian
10-24-2008, 04:30 PM
I can see it now (casting the hula popper fly), chuck'n & duck'n. 8-[ 8-[

It'd be nice to have Raineys pick up your flies. If you stop tying, though, you'll be like the rest of us, subsistence tyers. :lol: :lol:

Hairstacker
10-25-2008, 02:52 PM
Wow Jay, sounds like you had a really fun session despite those boats you had to deal with. Speaking of which, I just can't fathom that folks would be that rude in person. I know, I know, it happens all the time, but still. . . . Makes you daydream about carrying a spare rod rigged with just a 1/2 oz. egg sinker on the end of the leader. . . .