PDA

View Full Version : 'Jack's Grill' in Redding, CA

Bill Kiene semi-retired
10-22-2008, 11:07 PM
http://www.jacksgrillredding.com/

Tod Setzer was talking about Jack's Grill in Redding.

He says it is very famous for it's steaks.

Anyone else have a comment?

Charlie Gonzales
10-22-2008, 11:26 PM
I try to stop in every time I go to the Yuba. Funky little place that has a grill right in the dinning room. I call it the dirty steak cuz the old lady who works behind the counter takes your money, then comes around the counter to where the grill is and throws your steak on the fire without ever washing her hands. Cool place, with some interesting old cowboy displays.

Charlie Gonzales
10-22-2008, 11:27 PM
oops that was supposed to be a new thread.

flyfshrmn
11-08-2008, 09:23 PM
Haven't heard of Jack's but will give it a try next time I'm in town. Redding has a lot of good eateries. One of my favorites is LULU's across the street from the Cypress street Safeway, the one on the west side of the river. Good food, reasonable prices and good service. Try the club sandwich. There are several decent Asian restaurants as well.

trinity
11-09-2008, 12:54 AM
Jack's is one of the best kept secrets in Redding. It's really nothing fancy, small, dark, and unbelievable steaks. Neat bar too, all in the same room. Been around since the 1940's. It is in old town Redding near the train station. I highly recommend it.

flyfshrmn
03-15-2009, 10:56 PM
Followed the recommendation to try Jack's Grill this Friday but ran into a snag. The place was packed and had an hour and a quarter waitlist. This would indicate that the food is probably good despite the outward appearance which is not impressive and reminds me of certain places where they check you for guns and knives at the door and if you don't have one they give you one. Will try it again in the future with reservations and report on the food.

flyfshrmn
12-27-2009, 03:16 PM
Finally got to try Jack's Grill. Good steak, good service, but the menu is very short with few sides. They do provide a huge bowl of simple salad and the steak comes with a potato side dish of your choice. Prices are about average for an independent steak house. This place is very popular with the locals and if you don't get there early you'll have a long wait for a table.
I'd rate it about 3 stars on a scale of 5.

Motofish
01-05-2010, 10:06 AM
just a side note about the long lines at Jacks, get off the river, have a nice drink, shower and go late..... I think there open till 11pm so after 9 or so the regular dinner crowd is gone. Victor

joshfish
01-07-2010, 12:47 PM
the steaks at jacks are great. if jacks is busy just around the block is market street steak house. they have great food a nice bar and are open for lunch. prices are decent service is good.

stevie steelhead
02-03-2010, 07:42 AM
Are you flying in from Houston Texas to have a steak in Redding????

Mike McKenzie
02-05-2010, 08:45 PM
the secret is the steaks are cooked in the used oil from the french fries!!

Ain't worryin' about MY cholesterol!!

Mike

amoeba
02-11-2010, 05:52 PM
Yes, it is fabulous steak:

It can get very, very, busy, and slow, but it is worth waiting for, at least once.

dpentoney
02-13-2010, 04:44 PM
I haven't been in a while but have been several times in the past.
Jack's has been known for the amount of alcohol some consume during the long wait for a table. Both of the last two times I ate there I saw guys who had passed out with their face on the plate.......

jrief
07-29-2010, 02:55 PM
I spent many years as a food broker covering the valley from Tulare to the Oregon border. You get to know a lot of best restaurants and the other reps and they all know and love Jack's. It alway's comes up as one of the best steaks in the valley. Corn fed, local beef, pan seered with salt and pepper and plenty of butter. I know this because I watched them cook them. Steak, baked potatoes, large ranch salads nothing fancy just one of the best steaks you'll ever taste. If you're looking for noveau California cuisine this ain't your type of place. I've taken a number of people there over the years and they always balk at the appearance, but end up loving the place and talking about it for years. About the wait and the booze. The owner make no bones about the wait-it's so you spend time in the bar. Take a cab and just enjoy the funloving crowd and the great steak.