PDA

View Full Version : Delta Striper Fly Fishing Set-up

Concord Bob
10-18-2008, 08:51 PM
I'm interested in trying to do some fly fishing for Stripers in the Delta. I normally fly fish for trout/bass and currently only have fly rods in 4, 5 & 6 weights( the 6 being the biggest but may not be big enough for this type of fishing)

What would be the preferred set up: rod length, wt, fly line that I should be saving up for ?

In the mean time, would it be reasonable for me to use the 6 wt and add a sinking tip line to my set up ? If so, what would be the suggested sinking tip for this weight rod which would be castable and help to get the fly down ? Also what length of sinking tip would you add to the current 6wt flyline ?

Since I only fly fish top water for trout and bass and also nymph for trout, the sinking lines/tips are new territory for me.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have done some research on the subject, however I'm struggling to put the whole picture together.

Bob

Bill Kiene semi-retired
10-19-2008, 08:19 AM
Most are using 9 foot long #8-9 line rods with a strong tip.

The fly reel is not all that big a deal with 100 yards of 30# Dacron backing.

Around our shop the 'go to' set up for 90% of it in the Delta is an Airflo Ridge Intermediate running line with ~28' of Rio T-14 spliced to it.

Simple two piece leader: 2' of 30# and 2'-4' of 20# Maxima UltraGreen mono.

Loop knot on a #2/0 Clouser Minnow in Chartreuse and White.

We like to pinch the barbs for safety.

If you come in the shop 7 days a week our staff can make up that line for you.

__________________________________________________ ____________________

Actually some serious Delta Striper Commandos will have another 2 rod set up with a Rio Outbound Short Intermediate line for fishing shallow and then an Outbound Short floater for top water action.

__________________________________________________ ____________________

For now you could come in and have them set up a T-11 head for your 6 weight rod and just use the smaller #2 Clousers.

David Lee
10-19-2008, 09:09 AM
For now you could come in and have them set up a T-11 head for your 6 weight rod and just use the smaller #2 Clousers.

Or ........ 30 feet of T-8 .

You'll do fine w/ your 6 wt. , make sure to play BIG fish off the rod butt (low angles ...) , and point the tip at the snag when a break-off is called for .

Avoid tippets over 12 LB. test .

Have fun !!!

D. -

Bill Kiene semi-retired
10-19-2008, 09:47 AM
Thanks David................it's early.......................I meant T-8.

Needed more coffee...........

Concord Bob
10-19-2008, 06:32 PM
Thanks Bill and David. That information is extremely helpful and hopefully will be put to use shortly.

I'll probably work the short term solution until such time I can make the investment in a new set-up.

Regards,

Bob

mikenewman
10-19-2008, 07:41 PM
Check out this article by Mike Mckenzie:

http://www.flyfishnorcal.org/php-nuke/index.php

Invaluable advice!

Concord Bob
10-19-2008, 08:10 PM
Good article Mike. Thanks much.

Phil Synhorst
10-30-2008, 10:47 AM
Great article. Thanks for the link Mike.