PDA

View Full Version : Caples Lake?

Ben Kobrin
10-16-2008, 10:58 PM
Has anyone taken a trip out to Caples lately to see if it is still fishable? I've got a free Sunday and was thinking about giving it a shot. Lots of fish, not much water...that should at least mean I have a fighting chance! Any info would be appreciated.

-Ben

Bill Kiene semi-retired
10-16-2008, 11:03 PM
They took the fish from Caples Lake to Silver Lake and Red Lake.

We hear those are fishing very well.

Ben Kobrin
10-16-2008, 11:22 PM
Thanks Bill. Although I know there was a big fish rescue effort, I was under the impression that a majority of the fish still remained in the lake. Any truth to that? Thanks!

Darian
10-17-2008, 09:11 AM
Hope this helps..... Drove up past Caples on Tuesday. Not much water and it's not very clear. Lots of people fishing. Saw several people leaving but nobody had any visible fish. All were bait guys. :-? Now's a good time to check out the bottom structure for later years. If it ever fills up again. 8-[ At the current level, it doesn't seem like there'll be many fish left after ice-out. :sad:

Red Lake was crowded (for mid-week) with fly/bait guys everywhere. Lots of algae left in spite of the cold overnight air temps. Still snow and ice in the shade. Fishing was slow but did see a bait guy leaving with what looked to be a 5 lb. Cutthroat on a stringer. :cool:

Didn't stop to check out Silver Lake but it's very low (Fall water levels) and didn't see anyone fishing. :neutral:

Fall colors are still there but it's a bit late due to the cold air temps and high winds up there, last week. Lots of bare trees already. Still a beautiful place to fish or just relax at Sorenson's with a good cup of coffee and some Blackberry Cobbler while looking out over the scenery. :D :D :D

Ben Kobrin
10-17-2008, 09:18 AM
Thanks Darian, that was exactly the kind of info I was looking for. Maybe I'll give Silver Lake a try from the float tube. Weather sounds like I'll need an extra layer under the waders!

Scott V
10-17-2008, 09:26 AM
You might want to think about Henan, there are a couple guys from the board heading there on Sunday. Just a thought.